Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Perceptions about US crime

Perceptions about US crime

Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:31 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perceptions about US crime

Originally Posted by ladylisa
From time to time I look through the other forums and see many UK posters asking questions to Expats about crime in their chosen country. There's one at the moment in the New Zealand forum all about crime and statistics and experiences of crime, etc. However I find it interesting that we never get asked this in the US forum, even though many UK people have a perception that the US is the most violent country in the wealthy western world. I just wonder why this is?

From looking at the website below I can see that in fact the US fares high in certain types of crime, where as if you look at crime that doesn't involve guns Australia and New Zealand and the UK do not fare so well. I'm just curious why these questions are asked and discussed frequently by would be expats on other forums but not the USA one?

http://www.nationmaster.com
We have a lot of crime........people are always running the stop sign up the road...........
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Another case of the widening divide between the haves and the have nots? Gated communities, private security and divided areas all mean the haves wont in the main experience crimes against their property or person.

Its not that the crime doesnt exist just everyone on here is fortunate to be in the position to be mostly sheltered from it.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, after 12 years over here I still find it strange that crime tends to occur only in certain districts. Keep out of those districts and you can leave your front door open, leave the keys in your car, etc and no trouble.

I can't understand why these criminals haven't had the "brainwave" of heading out into the 'burbs where there are plenty of rich pickings. The UK criminals have been doing this for years!

I still haven't got out of the habit of locking my car, putting valuables in the boot, locking my front door etc etc. After 28 years in the UK it was just drummed into me.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Yep, after 12 years over here I still find it strange that crime tends to occur only in certain districts. Keep out of those districts and you can leave your front door open, leave the keys in your car, etc and no trouble.

I can't understand why these criminals haven't had the "brainwave" of heading out into the 'burbs where there are plenty of rich pickings. The UK criminals have been doing this for years!

I still haven't got out of the habit of locking my car, putting valuables in the boot, locking my front door etc etc. After 28 years in the UK it was just drummed into me.
And a very good practice to uphold not that I have had to shoot anybody.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:38 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
<<snip>>

I can't understand why these criminals haven't had the "brainwave" of heading out into the 'burbs where there are plenty of rich pickings. The UK criminals have been doing this for years!<<snip>>
It's not that there aren't crimes (killings, drug related, burglary, etc.) in such areas. Maybe there's fewer because the people in the 'burbs have better security, "guard" dogs and possibly even firearms to protect themselves.

There's crimes in pretty much every city of any size in the USA but it's not surprising that these cluster round specific neighborhoods or areas within a city. I look at my city's Police website from time to time to see the mapping of crimes and this clustering is apparent.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

We moved,from Coalville in Leicestershire,To Tampa.
I have felt safer here than I did back home.
I used to feel threatend by groups of 9 and 10 year olds,who all seemet to wear hooded tops,jeans to there knees,and Fxxk was there favorite word.
Its quite refreshing to see the same age groups over here,and they they seem like nice kids.
Like anywhere in UK,we dont wander into known areas.
Redlobster
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:57 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I need to get out of the city

Heres an excerpt from my local crime report

A Mother of two was killed while sitting on her porch at Litton Apts. She got caught in the crossfire of two thugs shooting at each other,

A male was killed by gunshot in his apt, 933 Boscobel, He was found by his wife.

A male was reported firing a shot with a rifle at his Father on Creighton yesterday. Police spotted his green crown vic, ex taxi cab minutes later. This started a slow police chase that I watched go inbound on Main, it ended just short of the criminal justice center, on the bridge. The perfect spot, this guy did not run or jump.

Shots fired reports on Norville this afternoon. About the same time a fast food mgr was assaulted near there on Gallatin.

Shots fired mid day Tues, South of Shelby were said to be fired by two males in the back of a pick up truck.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:13 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Apparently I need to get out of the city

Heres an excerpt from my local crime report

A Mother of two was killed while sitting on her porch at Litton Apts. She got caught in the crossfire of two thugs shooting at each other,

A male was killed by gunshot in his apt, 933 Boscobel, He was found by his wife.

A male was reported firing a shot with a rifle at his Father on Creighton yesterday. Police spotted his green crown vic, ex taxi cab minutes later. This started a slow police chase that I watched go inbound on Main, it ended just short of the criminal justice center, on the bridge. The perfect spot, this guy did not run or jump.

Shots fired reports on Norville this afternoon. About the same time a fast food mgr was assaulted near there on Gallatin.

Shots fired mid day Tues, South of Shelby were said to be fired by two males in the back of a pick up truck.
You need to move here

Windsor Park Between 3:30pm and 6:30pm on Tuesday September 20, 2005 a home in the 500 block of Valley Run Drive was unlawfully entered. The suspect(s) entered through an open garage door. Proceeds are two bicycles.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

A point for the other side, here is today's BBC front page news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/4361724.stm
Terrible for the victim, but the fact that it is on the front page shows that it is big news (and therefore rare). Kids in US schools get stabbed and shot, and it doesnt make the news anymore.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

To echo some of the other comment here, it seems to me the the vast majority of America is very, very safe but that there are pockets with murder and violent crime rates similar to Colombia. It's definitely a case of two extremes.

Here in Chicago, the entirety of the suburbs are extremely safe and have very low crime rates. In the city, it's very rare on the North Side for any violent cirme to occur.

The South Side and West Chicago are different stories: they have unbelievable crime and murder rates. In fact, the rates in high crime areas are so high that Chicago was the "murder capital" of the US for years (no longer), even though the vast, vast majority of the city is perfectly safe. It's one of those situations where the sexy aggregate statistics that the media love dilute the truth on the ground.

Two things that haven't been discussed here yet:

1. The role of race and class: black people are twice as likely to be a victim of violent crime and six times as likely to be a murder victim as whites. Class is even more strongly linked.

2. Violent crime and murder have absolutely plumeted in the US across all categories and demographics over the past decade. Take a look at some of the stats: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/welcome.html. Violent crime has fallen by half in ten years, murder rates are at record lows (still much higher than Europe in aggregate, though). Here's the aggregate violent crime rate:

The media has largely ignored this amazing trend.

Another underreported story is the dramatic decrease in property crimes:

Americans aren't even stealing as much these days...

Good news never makes for ratings, I guess.

Last edited by Hiro11; Oct 21st 2005 at 3:35 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting Hiro11 is there any explanation for this?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:45 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ladylisa
even though many UK people have a perception that the US is the most violent country in the wealthy western world. I just wonder why this is?

http://www.nationmaster.com
I think we all watched too much Starsky & Hutch as children.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:28 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Crime is virtually unheard of in this part of Illinois, just a few farmers and college kids with DUI's. There was a spate of break in's the other month, and the guy finally admitted to a total of 17 offences when he was caught...... he was sentenced last week to 15 years porridge..... in the UK he would have had 2 months community service bestowed upon him ....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...452416,00.html
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:23 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
To echo some of the other comment here, it seems to me the the vast majority of America is very, very safe but that there are pockets with murder and violent crime rates similar to Colombia. It's definitely a case of two extremes.

Here in Chicago, the entirety of the suburbs are extremely safe and have very low crime rates. In the city, it's very rare on the North Side for any violent cirme to occur.

The South Side and West Chicago are different stories: they have unbelievable crime and murder rates. In fact, the rates in high crime areas are so high that Chicago was the "murder capital" of the US for years (no longer), even though the vast, vast majority of the city is perfectly safe. It's one of those situations where the sexy aggregate statistics that the media love dilute the truth on the ground.

Two things that haven't been discussed here yet:

1. The role of race and class: black people are twice as likely to be a victim of violent crime and six times as likely to be a murder victim as whites. Class is even more strongly linked.

2. Violent crime and murder have absolutely plumeted in the US across all categories and demographics over the past decade. Take a look at some of the stats: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/welcome.html. Violent crime has fallen by half in ten years, murder rates are at record lows (still much higher than Europe in aggregate, though). Here's the aggregate violent crime rate:

The media has largely ignored this amazing trend.

Another underreported story is the dramatic decrease in property crimes:

Americans aren't even stealing as much these days...

Good news never makes for ratings, I guess.
Didn't Chicagos crime rate plummet recently?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Didn't Chicagos crime rate plummet recently?
Did they blow it up or something then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.