Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Peoria IL, whats it like?, where to live?

Peoria IL, whats it like?, where to live?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

stelyn27 will become famous soon enough
Default Peoria IL, whats it like?, where to live?

Hi, after doing a search on this city in the pass threads I understand that some of you live in or close to Peoria.
I have been offered a job with T-mobile to cover all the cell towers in that area, so as long as I live close to it (20-30 miles) any where is possible.
What are the better areas we should be looking at, considering that the wife will need to get work as well.
What do you think of the area as a whole? and has/will the regeneration of the down town Started? and if it has has the housing market stared to climb yet?
So many questions, and now not so much time left (hooray) before I'm out there, and for-warned is for-armed, but then a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing?

Anyway, thanks in advance

Steve and Lyn
Old Apr 28th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peoria IL, whats it like?, where to live?

Originally Posted by stelyn27
Hi, after doing a search on this city in the pass threads I understand that some of you live in or close to Peoria.
I have been offered a job with T-mobile to cover all the cell towers in that area, so as long as I live close to it (20-30 miles) any where is possible.
What are the better areas we should be looking at, considering that the wife will need to get work as well.
What do you think of the area as a whole? and has/will the regeneration of the down town Started? and if it has has the housing market stared to climb yet?
So many questions, and now not so much time left (hooray) before I'm out there, and for-warned is for-armed, but then a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing?

Steve and Lyn
I live about an hours drive east of Peoria,but I've only been there once for shopping,and twice to go to the airport,so I can't really tell you much more about it but I do know someone on BE who lives closer than I do,I'll phone him today,and tell him about your post,and he'll probably reply to this as well.....in the meantime have a look at one of the local tv news channels....
www.week.com
hopefully you'll get an idea of the area.......are you already in the US?.....sorry I couldn't tell you much more,I'm sure Paul can.......Sophia
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

ScottD is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Blomington which is 45 minutes from Peoria . Be careful some areas in Peoria are dangerous and many businesses left peoria to avoid the crime

I hear many things about random shootings in peoria . ask about the area before you buy or rent

good luck
Old Apr 28th 2007, 2:35 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

We are 20 miles from Peoria ......If I was honest I would say move to one of the smaller towns around Peoria .....Washington, Metamora, Eureka etc. Peoria is a relatively nice place, it has its crime (like any big town) but then you move 10 miles out into the corn fields and crime is virtually zero ...we don't lock the car or house ( that took some getting used to )
Peoria has plenty of places to eat ...the usual chains plus a lot of good independently owned places although it is mostly American style .....There are some good bars too ....plus Friar Tucks is beer drinkers heaven...(its stocks a huge selection of beers from the USA and around the world) ... last week Peoria hosted a beer festival ....If you like a gamble there is the" boat" as its called in these parts .... Par a Dice its real name ....a mini Las Vegas on the river front ...

All in all Peoria is an alright kinda place but I really would say to look at the smaller outta towns for a place to live ...

One thing though people in the smaller towns tend to take religion seriously
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:38 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry ...forgot to say ...
Employment is not a problem ....Caterpillar is still the main employer in Peoria and the surrounding area's but there is a diverse economy and good well paid employment is not hard to find.
The weather is hot in summer and friggin cold in the depths of winter with spring and autumn absolutely glorious in these parts ....driving alongside the Illinois river in the autumn time with all the tree's is a match for any of those north eastern states.
I love this area ....the people are friendly and still believe in old fashioned values...you can go to Peoria and enjoy the delights of the city ...then drive for 20 minutes and be in the middle of nowhere....

There are a few Brits in these parts ...again mainly to do with Cat. I bumped into a guy from Watford at the beer festival ...fancy that ....beer and Brits in the same place !!! Sophia is just down the road ....I think I'm the only Brit in Eureka ....just go in the Outpost and look for the guy with the pint pot in his hand ....

Last edited by Circus-of-Power; Apr 28th 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:46 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Steve and Lyn
Peoria has always been HQ for Catepillar, and Cat has for years dominated the employment scene. In recent years Cat has outsourced or relocated much of it's work to Tenn. or NC or other areas. Much of the downtown is decaying, and there is a lot of crime ridden areas. Live in the 'burbs, or small towns around Peoria if at all possible.
Also- I hope you like corn and soybeans, you will see a lot of them around. It is some of the best farmland in the world. Flat and fertile. Lots of pork production too...

All in all, IMO, not a bad place to raise a family, but then again I grew up in very similar surroundings (IN/IA)
Old Apr 28th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Sorry ...forgot to say ...
Employment is not a problem ....Caterpillar is still the main employer in Peoria and the surrounding area's but there is a diverse economy and good well paid employment is not hard to find.
The weather is hot in summer and friggin cold in the depths of winter with spring and autumn absolutely glorious in these parts ....driving alongside the Illinois river in the autumn time with all the tree's is a match for any of those north eastern states.
I love this area ....the people are friendly and still believe in old fashioned values...you can go to Peoria and enjoy the delights of the city ...then drive for 20 minutes and be in the middle of nowhere....

There are a few Brits in these parts ...again mainly to do with Cat. I bumped into a guy from Watford at the beer festival ...fancy that ....beer and Brits in the same place !!! Sophia is just down the road ....I think I'm the only Brit in Eureka ....just go in the Outpost and look for the guy with the pint pot in his hand ....
Ok! Paul's answered!.......knew he would when he saw your post!,I couldn't say much about Peoria because I'm so much closer to Bloomington,which I like a lot for shopping,the main shopping area seems to be a lot closer together than it did when we went shopping in Peoria.
As ScottD said, there's quite a lot of shooting in certain areas of Peoria,and Paul is right,there are some very nice smaller towns around the area,and the spring and autumn are wonderful,gets very cold in winter and very humid and hot in summer.....I've met a few other Brit's around here as well,two work in Pontiac but live in other nearby towns........it's windy today,but bright sunshine and lovely blue skies!
Definately LOTS of corn and soybean feilds!.......Sophia
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

One more thing , State Farm headquarters in Bloomington is just 40 minutes from Peoria and Illinois State University in Bloomington too

State Farm is hiring all the time
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ScottD
One more thing , State Farm headquarters in Bloomington is just 40 minutes from Peoria and Illinois State University in Bloomington too

State Farm is hiring all the time
Yes,that's right,the 'applications' office is right across Veterans Parkway from the State Farm office building.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Steve and Lyn
I don't know that area, but the housing market in general is horrible. The worst it's been in over 18 years I heard. My realtor friend says even worse.

Of course, if you're buying, that could benefit you - housing prices have gone down, and there are lots on the market (because noone's buying) - so it's a buyers market.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Bloomington/Normal area has a very beautiful homes for reasonable price . The cost of living is low in central illinois and the housing market is not bad at all
try to avoid the east side in Bloomington but generally I had a positive experience in that area
Old Apr 29th 2007, 4:35 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Originally Posted by Tracym
I don't know that area, but the housing market in general is horrible. The worst it's been in over 18 years I heard. My realtor friend says even worse.

Of course, if you're buying, that could benefit you - housing prices have gone down, and there are lots on the market (because noone's buying) - so it's a buyers market.
Maybe in the big city .....Chicago and especially Napierville has been over priced for years .... Here in tumble weed land you can buy a mature 4/5 bed house with oodles of land for £60,000 ..or being liberal $120,000 .....Land is cheap compared to alot of other places in the USA

Bloomington is 50 or so miles from Peoria and the 2 are nothing alike from what I've seen ....
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe in the big city .....Chicago and especially Napierville has been over priced for years .... Here in tumble weed land you can buy a mature 4/5 bed house with oodles of land for £60,000 ..or being liberal $120,000 .....Land is cheap compared to alot of other places in the USA

Bloomington is 50 or so miles from Peoria and the 2 are nothing alike from what I've seen ....
Yes,from what I've seen and heard,I definately prefer Bloomington/Normal,I live in Chenoa about 30 miles north of B/N,and Pontiac is about 12 miles north of me,both towns are growing very fast,especially as Walmart has just opened a 'Super Walmart' in Pontiac,and where ever they open a store other stores move in as well.....Applebees is already building a resturant,and rumour has it that Lowes is going to start building soon....If we had known,14 years ago,what we know now,we would have moved closer to B/N,the houses in my small town are overpriced (I think),both the High school and the Grade school closed two years ago,and the high school kids have to go to Fairbury while the grade school kids go to Forrest,there is only one (highly overpriced!)small grocery shop in town,one tv cable company and no public transport whatsoever,Oh and a small,expensive pharmacy!...the nice thing is, there is not even one traffic light in town!,however,I think that will be changing after the big truck stop is built on the edge of town!,not sure if I like having that there,but it will,hopefully, bring more businesses to Chenoa.
You can check house prices at
www.Realtors.com
Hop we've all given you the info you needed....good luck.....Sophia
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Prices are of course way higher near the big cities than not. But you can hear on the national news about the housing market slump. It's not just here.

Again, if you're buying, that can be good news.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

stelyn27 will become famous soon enough

Thanks very much for all your replies, it has been really useful to know about this area from brits like yourselves.
If you don't mind getting the odd PM from a new boy in the area for advice every now and again that would be another great help as well, remember I have the opportunity to bring real t-bags and maltesers in, scratch my back and a great brew will be yours .
Once again thanks everyone, and hope to see you all soon.

Lyn and Steve