Peoria

Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

rock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nice
Default Peoria

Hi all - I've just joined the forum.

It's looking like I'm going to be offered an assignment in the US in the Peoria area, probably for about three years. Whilst I know it will be tough to adjust etc, I was hoping some of you could help me with a few questions:

I wondered what the Peoria area is like to live around. I've been here this weekend and I'm going home tomorrow. Metemora area seems to be nice, but Dunlap would be better for my work. Is the Dunlap area OK - I didn't really get the chance to see the estates (or sub-divisions!)

Also my wife is a teacher and she would like to work out here. My company won't sort her work visa (only the right to live here with me). Are these difficult to get? I really have no idea but it seems she would need sponsorship from a comany or school to get the requred visa to earn money. Without that I'm sure she'd be pretty bored everyday.

US communities always seem a little difficult to get into. We're not church goes but this seems to be the way to break the ice.

Thanks.

Rocky
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peoria

Finally, the chance I've been looking for to know the origin of the phrase "Will it play in Peoria?" !

About your wife.. you say you have been offered an assignment.. by whom? If your current employer, options for your wife open up. Has anyone mentioned which visa they would petition for you? L = good for your wife. H = bad for her.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rock2605
Hi all - I've just joined the forum.

It's looking like I'm going to be offered an assignment in the US in the Peoria area, probably for about three years. Whilst I know it will be tough to adjust etc, I was hoping some of you could help me with a few questions:

I wondered what the Peoria area is like to live around. I've been here this weekend and I'm going home tomorrow. Metemora area seems to be nice, but Dunlap would be better for my work. Is the Dunlap area OK - I didn't really get the chance to see the estates (or sub-divisions!)

Also my wife is a teacher and she would like to work out here. My company won't sort her work visa (only the right to live here with me). Are these difficult to get? I really have no idea but it seems she would need sponsorship from a comany or school to get the requred visa to earn money. Without that I'm sure she'd be pretty bored everyday.

US communities always seem a little difficult to get into. We're not church goes but this seems to be the way to break the ice.

Thanks.

Rocky
Hello Rocky...I'd just like to welcome to BE. Ask away with any questions about the US...you'll get plenty of help from the kind posters on here.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

rock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nicerock2605 is just really nice

Wow - fast response.

I don't know the Visa details yet - but it is with my current employer who I've been with for nearly 20 years. When I know which one it is I'll post the details. How does that change my wifes situation?

Thanks for the welcome
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:19 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a H visa she gets a H visa and cannot work. She would have to find someone to sponsor her for her own work visa and as a teacher that is extremely difficult given current economy.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - fast response.

I don't know the Visa details yet - but it is with my current employer who I've been with for nearly 20 years. When I know which one it is I'll post the details. How does that change my wifes situation?

Thanks for the welcome
If it's your current employer, that usually is the L-1 intracompany transfer visa.
The dependent spouse comes along on an L-2 visa (your company said they'd sort her visa out for living with you). Once here, she can apply for a work permit (correct term = EAD/Employment Authorization Document) and if she can find a job, she can work.

The H visas are more generally when a new, US employer wants you to come over. The dependent spouses on that visa are not allowed to apply for an EAD, which would be bad for the trailing spouse who wants to work!

Start making a running list now, of all the questions you'll have for your employer when we are done with you!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Wow - fast response.

Thanks for the welcome
There is the L Visa which is for inter-company transfers - the A version is for managers, and the B version is for people with special technical knowledge. Do you fit into either of those? If so, then your wife gets an L2 visa, and can work after applying for her EAD (once in the US).
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Search this forum for more specifics on Peoria. Very good relocation advice.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illinois/
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:49 am
Just Joined

I think I could drop into the special technical skills. It looks like I should push for this Visa when I sit down with HR. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Rocky.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for the missus and teaching, depends on the state, search out state requirements and any county requirements.

Poor area might be more willing to let experience teach and get certified later, other areas won't.

What you need to get certified will depend on the state.

http://www.ets.org/praxis/ Have a look at that, it's part of what you'll need to do. If the state is shit, the score required will be really low, if not, it'll be a high score...Maine is a bit of an exception in that they require a really high score to get certified.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:05 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bloomington and spent quite a bit of time with one of my sister inlaws in Peoria and its not a nice place by any stretch of the imagination of course like all cities/towns it has its plus sides, but its rough to say the least I would think very very long and hard before you move there!

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/peoria/crime/

Last edited by Poppy girl; Oct 13th 2010 at 12:58 am.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, I get confused. I was thinking of the Peoria in Arizona! I wouldn't move there, purely based on the fact that my mother-in-law resides there
Good luck on the move!!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

SoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I lived in Bloomington and spent quite a bit of time with one of my sister inlaws in Peoria and its not a nice place by any stretch of the imagination of course like all cities/towns it has its plus sides, but its rough to say the least I would think very very long and hard before you move there!

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/peoria/crime/
I likewise haven't heard great things about Peoria but have never visited myself. Will you get a chance to visit on a look-see? Or maybe checkout if there are nearby more desirable locations to live? Also don't know if you have kids but you might want to check out the schools in the area. The quality of the school will always give you a good indication of the demographics of the area (poor results school = poor area) IN GENERAL I have found this to be true

Good luck!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
I really appreciate all the feedback. I was in Peoria last weekend for a visit and found the place so so - didn't seem very friendly, but where does I suppose. Seemed to have some nice areas and a few rougher areas - the North of the city seemed fine and this would work best for me as it would be near work.
I don't have children but getting my wife at least the opportunity to work is very improtant. If I get the job offer I will really push the Visa issue to see what I can get. Does anyone one know if one is more expensive that the other or anything. I work for a large cooperation who I'm sure would have some clout with immigration - I want to make sure I know what I need to go after and the issues between an H & L type Visa so I can prepare my arguement.
Thanks,
Rocky
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Caterpillar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.