Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

People in Texas with cats

Wikiposts

People in Texas with cats

Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:29 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People in Texas with cats

It depends where you are going to live. We picked our house in Texas specifically as it was 'cat friendly' - it was a requirement in any home we chose. We found a home in a quiet cul-de-sac in a semi-rural area.
If you live in a really rural place you run the risk of bob cats.

We moved from Texas to LA, and did not have the opportunity of moving to an area free from all traffic. We have a very large (for LA) fenced rear garden, and a small (maybe 30 ft from the road) front garden. We debated long and hard about whether to let the cats out here. In the end we decided that one in particular would be incredibly miserable if we kept him in (he literally throws himself at the window, hisses and behaves in a horrible way). He never roams near the road (thats not to say that he wouldn't). He goes out, we worry. The risk is minimal, but its a risk. Cats need to be cats, he never was a house cat and it is not fair to 'lock him up' now.

Originally Posted by Mandana
Do you let yours out, or has it/they become a house cat?

I've heard some real horror stories about cats hunting and coming out the worse for wear (even death) over here, but I'm not sure how much of it is scare-mongering or true? (have to say most of the stories are from my H who could have heard embellished versions).

We're moving on Monday (have I told you?! ) and after the initial 2/3 weeks, I was wondering about letting him out. He's been cooped up here for 6 weeks now and is longing to go out.

Have to say I've seen lots of dogs, but no cats at all.

Maybe the stories are right??
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:31 pm

It is very important your animals get regular heart worm preventative treatment. Mosquitoes are common in Texas so your animals run the real risk of being bitten and infected. You should have your rabies jabs done before he leaves the UK. I'm fairly sure its a requirement they have rabies jabs and a certificate of health from your local vet before they are allowed to board the plane. At least it was when I flew my cat here on American Airlines

Snorkmaiden, thanks for your stark warnings

Quick question for you .. do catteries (or kennels as we've been told they are called) require cats to be up-to-date with their injections? I'm quite concerned after reading your post that our cat could be exposed to all kinds. He is fully inoculated with the UK requirements and as soon as I've found a local vet next week I'll take him in for the Texas jabs, plus rabies. We'll be boarding him when we go on holiday (hopefully in July) as we don't have any family living close by to do that for us anymore!

My husband was told by a work colleague that generally all cats in the area who don't have claws (hate the idea of de-clawing) are indoor cats, and those with them intact go outside as they can defend themselves.

I think I'll take all your advice and keep him in.

He was a rescue cat and was badly abused. He's already had his tail chopped off (we think by kids as he is absolutely terrified of small people)

My baby

Last edited by Pony; Jun 24th 2007 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
It is very important your animals get regular heart worm preventative treatment. Mosquitoes are common in Texas so your animals run the real risk of being bitten and infected. You should have your rabies jabs done before he leaves the UK. I'm fairly sure its a requirement they have rabies jabs and a certificate of health from your local vet before they are allowed to board the plane. At least it was when I flew my cat here on American Airlines
Hi Pony

Did you mean before he leaves the US get him rabies jabbed? One of the first things on my to-do list next week is to find a recommended vet and get him jabbed up with everything - including rabies.

We're just home from picking up our keys to the new house (yeee haaa!) and the landlords have said that the neighbours opposite have cats and let them out. Since construction of new houses there haven't been any incidents of cats disappearing (apparently). But there is a big expanse of land immediately behind us (great for us not being overlooked) with houses beyond.

Just because the neighbours let their cats out doesn't mean I will. I've seen a great device here which is a catflap that fits into a window opening (no flap in the property) which I might consider with a run on the outside.

Then again, he may still get ticks and mosquito bites. Gah .. part of me (heart) really wants to give him his freedom because he is such a tomboy and LOVES being out, but a far bigger part (head?) is saying no, keep him in.

Anyways, I've still got some packing to do, and we've got a very early start.

(Won't start another thread, but I'm a bit ticked off about the owners leaving dog poo on the grass
And them insisting we clean, sand down and revarnish their front door every 6 months
Am I missing something or am I just too good a landlady to my tenants back home???)

Last edited by Mandana; Jun 24th 2007 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:55 pm

Texas requires rabies vaccination, and you must carry a rabies certificate with you when traveling with the pet. This is the law, but whether it is enforced is another question. My wife is a veterinarian so we tend to do everything by the book.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis.../vaccine/pets/

I'm just checking you have 'all your ducks in a row' ready for the move -
a certificate of health from the vet
inoculation paperwork
Federal Regulations require written certification from the you that the cat has been offered food and water within 4 hours (with the specific time noted) before delivery to the airline (we laminated a card and took a permanent marker pen to sign it). This certification must be securely attached to the outside of the pet carrier so that it may be easily noticed and read (we use cable ties). You must sign it and note the date and time it was signed.
Feeding and watering instructions for a 24-hour period must also be provided. You cannot write "No food or water" unless directed by an attending veterinarian.
Make sure your pet carrier meets your particular airlines requirements for size

A word of warning - the cat will be removed from the carrier for inspection of the cat and the carrier - for us this was done in an open area at security. If you need a towel etc to help restrain the cat then take it with you. I strongly recommend sedation if only for that experience alone (and I mean the cat and not you LOL)

Last edited by Pony; Jun 24th 2007 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Texas requires rabies vaccination, and you must carry a rabies certificate with you when traveling with the pet. This is the law, but whether it is enforced is another question. My wife is a veterinarian so we tend to do everything by the book.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis.../vaccine/pets/

I'm just checking you have 'all your ducks in a row' ready for the move -
a certificate of health from the vet
inoculation paperwork
Federal Regulations require written certification from the you that the cat has been offered food and water within 4 hours (with the specific time noted) before delivery to the airline (we laminated a card and took a permanent marker pen to sign it). This certification must be securely attached to the outside of the pet carrier so that it may be easily noticed and read (we use cable ties). You must sign it and note the date and time it was signed.
Feeding and watering instructions for a 24-hour period must also be provided. You cannot write "No food or water" unless directed by an attending veterinarian.
Make sure your pet carrier meets your particular airlines requirements for size

A word of warning - the cat will be removed from the carrier for inspection of the cat and the carrier - for us this was done in an open area at security. If you need a towel etc to help restrain the cat then take it with you. I strongly recommend sedation if only for that experience alone (and I mean the cat and not you LOL)
Ah ha .. now I understand! Our move tomorrow - is down the road! We're already in the States (Houston) .. cat flew out 6 weeks ago just after we did.

He'll get his rabies jab and whatever else the vet recommends as soon as I can get him booked in - just in case I get too homesick and want to go home! (j/k)

Thanks for the advice though - you weren't to know we weren't flying. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:06 pm

LOL!

Ah ha .. now I understand! Our move tomorrow - is down the road! We're already in the States (Houston) .. cat flew out 6 weeks ago just after we did.

He'll get his rabies jab and whatever else the vet recommends as soon as I can get him booked in - just in case I get too homesick and want to go home! (j/k)

Thanks for the advice though - you weren't to know we weren't flying. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

My cat is a fast learner...
Attached Thumbnails People in Texas with cats-2b7a8p.jpg  
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:40 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Thanks, the blue ones are Chartreux (chartreux rescue is based here in Dallas) and the white one is a lilac lynx point Birman.
Beautiful cats, snorkmaiden
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

They're absolutely gorgeous! I so envy you lot being able to have cats. I'm deadly allergic to them, yet love them to bits. I always play with my friends' cats and nearly land up in hospital every time

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Yes, the boarding kennels do require they be up to date on shots. The main one you want to get is FVRCP - that will cover you for Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calici Virus and Panleukopenia.

The vet might tell you to give him the shot for FeLV as well, (feline leukemia) but I don't give my cats that as they stay indoors and there are risks associated with the shot that I don't like.

Your cat may well have had the FVRCP as a kitten in the UK anyway (it's often known as the distemper combo) but you might want to boost.

I had all mine have the series of three as kittens, then one booster shot at a year old and now they are good for three years.

Your cat is lovely!! If you find a good boarding place he should be okay - make sure you go in and look around before you choose which one you will use.

Terminal, cat trees are great, and tunnels, and you might find as he isn't going outside that he might get interested in scratching posts again, especially if you add cat nip!! (Maxx is very cute)

This is a pic of one of my trees with three of the cats on it, they love lounging on it or when they are having a mad half hour, they chase each other up and down them. I got it from a great company in Waco who sell them at cat shows or make them to order - much better quality than the ones you get in the shops.

Petsmart has scratchers made from cardboard called Turbo Scratchers, you sprinkle cat nip on them and my cats go wild for it.

There is a fantastic toy called Da Bird, I've yet to see a cat that doesn't go crazy for it, its feathers on a wand (like a fishing rod) and it rotates as it spins through the air making a sound like bird wings flapping - you can order them online here - http://www.thecatconnection.com/page.../BEST/TYS-4990
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

How did your cat feel about the trip? I am moving to Canada next month and our four have to fly and I'm worried sick about it, they hate going in the car just on the short ride to the vets, so a day traveling by car and air is not going to be a happy one for them.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

It's taken me ages to find this thread! I knew someone on BE had recommended cat trees to me .. and now I've found the thread, I can't find the link to the tree site!

Snorkmaiden - please can you tell me where you got your tree from?

We've got our cat a playmate - a 10 month old kitten (who is doing a fantastic impersonation of a Puma! He's massive!) - and I think a tree would be great for both of them.

Thanks
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's taken me ages to find this thread! I knew someone on BE had recommended cat trees to me .. and now I've found the thread, I can't find the link to the tree site!

Snorkmaiden - please can you tell me where you got your tree from?

We've got our cat a playmate - a 10 month old kitten (who is doing a fantastic impersonation of a Puma! He's massive!) - and I think a tree would be great for both of them.

Thanks
Send her a PM just in case she misses this thread.

I don't have cats...dogs are my best friends. I always think it's nice for them to have their own company...to snuggle with...play with...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:02 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

I can't believe it! After years of turning his nose up at it, my cat has finally taken to cat cra.. I mean catnip
We're moving again, this time to Spring. Still haven't decided on a cat tree, he's a picky bugger and they're not cheap.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

we let our old lady Smudge out regularly in Texas - we were in a subdivision on a golf course - she was only out when someone was in mind you and never at night (we didnt have cat flap) and she was fine - never goes far mind you. Same here in NY - too cold at the moment but she never strays far beyond the garden - brings the occasional chip monk in though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.