Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pentagon And CIA Involved In Domestic Spying

Pentagon And CIA Involved In Domestic Spying

Old Jan 17th 2007, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pentagon And CIA Involved In Domestic Spying

"Just a day before the nation celebrated the life of the once-federally-spied-upon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the New York Times reported that both the Pentagon and the CIA have been issuing subpoenas to domestic financial institutions to investigate possible terrorism. Although the military and the CIA are largely barred from spying on Americans, the Pentagon has stepped up its surveillance of American citizens after September 11 as part of what it calls "force protection" -- that is, the protection of military installations on American soil...."

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...on_and_ci.html

So what do you think of that? Agree with it or think it's going to far? etc
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pentagon And CIA Involved In Domestic Spying

I would tell you what I think... but then THEY would read it, and I'd be taken away in a black van...
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:03 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I would tell you what I think... but then THEY would read it, and I'd be taken away in a black van...
I think the sooner they impeach Bush the better, not that they will, but they should
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
I think the sooner they impeach Bush the better, not that they will, but they should
as soon as he gets caught getting a hummer in the office i'm sure they will *lol*
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:12 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, whether it's legal or not, you have to be very naive to think that your own security forces are not watching and covertly spying on all of us.

eg, Every, and I mean every phone call and text message in the UK is "listened" to at GCHQ, when I say listened to, the call goes through some algorythm computery type program that then vets the transmission for varuious words, the suspect ones go through another even more powerful than before and so on until an actual human listens to the really suspect ones.

If it hapens in the UK, you can bet your bottom dollar it happens in the US.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:24 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
as soon as he gets caught getting a hummer in the office i'm sure they will *lol*
I best not reply for fear of the men in black ties and sunglasses paying me a wee visit at 6am!

But damn I want to lol
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Bob, whether it's legal or not, you have to be very naive to think that your own security forces are not watching and covertly spying on all of us.

eg, Every, and I mean every phone call and text message in the UK is "listened" to at GCHQ, when I say listened to, the call goes through some algorythm computery type program that then vets the transmission for varuious words, the suspect ones go through another even more powerful than before and so on until an actual human listens to the really suspect ones.

If it hapens in the UK, you can bet your bottom dollar it happens in the US.
It's the same system here; the system's called Echelon.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:28 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's the same system here; the system's called Echelon.
And your post just set off a little bell on it
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And your post just set off a little bell on it
The G-Men will be here soon.... only time for one more paragraph...

You can test the system yourself (apparently), by sending two emails to the same address; one completely "clean" the other filled with what an obvious terrorist might write. One should take longer to arrive than the other. I haven't tried it myself though.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MJC

true....but that's what the FBI is for, not the CIA...that's the whole point of the distinction, one is internal, one is external...
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

The G-Men will be here soon.... only time for one more paragraph...

You can test the system yourself (apparently), by sending two emails to the same address; one completely "clean" the other filled with what an obvious terrorist might write. One should take longer to arrive than the other. I haven't tried it myself though.
Tried it, they turned up at the same time.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Tried it, they turned up at the same time.
Perhaps they upgraded from the those Commodore computers.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they upgraded from the those Commodore computers.
Now a couple of 486s with mice in spinning wheels inside.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 4:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Now a couple of 486s with mice in spinning wheels inside.
anyone watch Boston Legal lastnight? seems somewhat on the theme with the homeland security no fly list...that was pretty amusing