Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pensions from UK question - US Tax Form

Pensions from UK question - US Tax Form

Old Feb 19th 2021, 10:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensions from UK question - US Tax Form

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I always put 99-1234567 and in section 10 simply state that the provider is a UK company
Well I've tried that and combinations thereof:

99-1234567
00-0000000
11-1111111

and every time TT rejects the form with an invalid employers number error. So guess back to schedule 1 and miscellaneous income.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well I've tried that and combinations thereof:

99-1234567
00-0000000
11-1111111

and every time TT rejects the form with an invalid employers number error. So guess back to schedule 1 and miscellaneous income.
At what point does TT reject it? I just did a validation check on my 2020 return and TT says that it is waiting for the IRS to confirm forms 4852. I currently have those forms completed with the EIN numbers of 99-1234567, imported from the previous year. I've been doing this for 14 years when I first starting receiving a UK private pension.

If it does reject the EIN numbers when I come to file then I'll use your method. I don't really think it makes any difference except the 4852 forms give plenty of space to explain where the pension is coming from and why there is no 1099-R. I use the TT downloaded version rather than on-line if that makes a difference,
Old Feb 20th 2021, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

At what point does TT reject it? I just did a validation check on my 2020 return and TT says that it is waiting for the IRS to confirm forms 4852. I currently have those forms completed with the EIN numbers of 99-1234567, imported from the previous year. I've been doing this for 14 years when I first starting receiving a UK private pension.

If it does reject the EIN numbers when I come to file then I'll use your method. I don't really think it makes any difference except the 4852 forms give plenty of space to explain where the pension is coming from and why there is no 1099-R. I use the TT downloaded version rather than on-line if that makes a difference,
That's exactly what I was wondering - maybe a difference in the software mechanics between downloaded vs online forms
I also use the downloaded version.
It shouldn't make any difference to final result - but perhaps TT is stepping over itself in the processing of the input of info, depending on which version one uses...

But more to the point - TT (in downloaded version) is showing that Form 4852 simply isn't ready (at their end) for any kind of filing ..
It says that form will be ready for mail filing on 25 Feb. so I believe we'll know then whether e-filing will also be accepted. Meanwhile I'm still seeing the big red DO NOT FILE warning mentioned in my 1st post (above), atop each of my four 4852s

Old Feb 20th 2021, 4:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I use the download version as well. It rejects the forms at the part it does the error checks. I can only think that as you have no problems it might be something to do with the Oregon State return being part of the process.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 4:51 pm

I gave up with the substitute 1099 and 4852, and went back to schedule 1. E-filed yesterday afternoon and got back note of acceptance from IRS and Oregon within a few hours.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:46 am
Just Joined

geak is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a few (4) UK pensions consolidated into a single defined benefits SIPP. Never taken any distribution as yet. Just plan on taking.
I assume there is a tax free amount. Don’t see how to reflect that in Form 4852 or Form 1040 Schedule 1.
So many people have experience here, just wonder if you could share here.

On Form 4852
Line 8 b Taxable amount
How to determine that ?

Line 8 e Capital gain (Included in Line 8 b)
Does it mean any amount above tax free is capital gain ?

Line 9 How did you determine the amounts in line 7 & 8
What document should be referenced here ?

If Form 1040 Schedule 1 Other Income is used, how to reflect the tax free amount ?

Old Feb 25th 2021, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geak
I got a few (4) UK pensions consolidated into a single defined benefits SIPP. Never taken any distribution as yet. Just plan on taking.
I assume there is a tax free amount. Don’t see how to reflect that in Form 4852 or Form 1040 Schedule 1.
So many people have experience here, just wonder if you could share here.

On Form 4852
Line 8 b Taxable amount
How to determine that ?

Line 8 e Capital gain (Included in Line 8 b)
Does it mean any amount above tax free is capital gain ?

Line 9 How did you determine the amounts in line 7 & 8
What document should be referenced here ?

If Form 1040 Schedule 1 Other Income is used, how to reflect the tax free amount ?
I have never heard of a defined benefit SIPP. I gather that you put the cash value of defined benefit pensions into a SIPP which is now a large pot of money that you invest yourself and choose how much to withdraw each year. Unless your defined benefit pensions had a tax free portion then all of the money sitting in the SIPP is tax deferred, i.e. it has never been taxed so has a “cost basis” of zero.

Just like a traditional IRA in the USA where only before-tax money has been saved then I would expect all distributions to be fully taxable. (There are IRAs with a combination of before and after tax contributions and then distributions are partly tax free, in which case form 8606 keeps track of the tax free basis from year to year - been there and still doing that).
Old Feb 25th 2021, 10:55 am
Just Joined

geak is an unknown quantity at this point

SIPP is defined contribution. Thanks durham_lad for the correction.
There is a 25% tax free portion documented in UK SIPP.
Try to understand how to reflect it in Form 4852 or Form 1040 Schedule 1.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geak
SIPP is defined contribution. Thanks durham_lad for the correction.
There is a 25% tax free portion documented in UK SIPP.
Try to understand how to reflect it in Form 4852 or Form 1040 Schedule 1.
There are various threads about whether or not the IRS recognizes the tax free lump sum that HMRC allows. I cannot remember what the consensus is as it is not something I have done or have the option to do. I suspect that the IRS will want to tax it. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with a more knowledgeable answer.

here is a recent discussion on the issue
Refund on US Tax paid on tax free uk pension lump sum?

Last edited by durham_lad; Feb 25th 2021 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone managed to e-file IRS Form 4852 (Substitute 1099-R) yet with their 2020 return?
I'm still seeing the red DO NOT FILE warnings on the 4 forms I've saved for filing in Turbo Tax Deluxe (see screen shot above in my 1st post).
(That, despite the fact that TT indicates that form is ready for filing by mail )

Even more to the point, on their "Federal Individual Form Availability" page, (https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.i...ndividual.html ) TT seem to indicate pretty decisively that the 4852 is and will remain "UNSUPPORTED" for efile this year.

Has anyone found otherwise?
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMcD
Has anyone managed to e-file IRS Form 4852 (Substitute 1099-R) yet with their 2020 return?
I'm still seeing the red DO NOT FILE warnings on the 4 forms I've saved for filing in Turbo Tax Deluxe (see screen shot above in my 1st post).
(That, despite the fact that TT indicates that form is ready for filing by mail )

Even more to the point, on their "Federal Individual Form Availability" page, (https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.i...ndividual.html ) TT seem to indicate pretty decisively that the 4852 is and will remain "UNSUPPORTED" for efile this year.

Has anyone found otherwise?
I am in the same situation. I don't normally file until May and if this situation is still the case, then I will switch my UK pension income onto "Other Income" rather than send in the return by mail. The tax is the same so the IRS won't really care.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am in the same situation. I don't normally file until May and if this situation is still the case, then I will switch my UK pension income onto "Other Income" rather than send in the return by mail. The tax is the same so the IRS won't really care.
I believe, like me, you also have been filing several 4852s.
If you switch to using the "Other Income" form how would you either separate (or combine ?) the individual income sources you've been reporting on the individual 4852s?

I have a UK State income Pension and 3 separate UK Annuities.
As mentioned in an earlier post - I wish to remain as consistent as possible with regard to prior filings. Reporting this way would be a major change.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you switch to using the "Other Income" form how would you either separate (or combine ?) the individual income sources you've been reporting on the individual 4852s?

As mentioned in an earlier post - I wish to remain as consistent as possible with regard to prior filings. Reporting this way would be a major change.
Up to now I have been completing two 4852 forms each year.

In TT under "Miscellaneous Income" you can enter "Other reportable income", and then add a line for each UK pension. I've just tried it and it seems to work well. For each line I put the exact name of the pension provider as I did in the 4852. If the IRS did question the change it would be easily explainable.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 4:35 pm

Between Mrs L and I we have 5 pensions from the UK. 2 employer and 2 State (one each) and I have an annuity. In TT, which I have already e-filed for this year, I just show the total for each of us, which on schedule one becomes one total amount with the explanation "Pensions from the United Kingdom". Been doing it that way since you got me started with TT, and not had any problems.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 25th 2021 at 4:38 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Between Mrs L and I we have 5 pensions from the UK. 2 employer and 2 State (one each) and I have an annuity. In TT, which I have already e-filed for this year, I just show the total for each of us, which on schedule one becomes one total amount with the explanation "Pensions from the United Kingdom". Been doing it that way since you got me started with TT, and not had any problems.
.......I remember
It was back in the day of CDs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.