Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pensioner healthcare provision in USA

Pensioner healthcare provision in USA

Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Pensioner healthcare provision in USA

As a British pensioner, can I be included on my family's healthcare for an additional premium?
Old Nov 26th 2016, 8:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensioner healthcare provision in USA

The question is too vague.

What relationship are you to the person that has health insurance? What is their status in the USA, and what is yours?

Ultimately the answer will come from the insurance company.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Hi there, My daughter and her family live in Nebraska. I have no status there. I am aware that healthcare in the US is very expensive, and read somewhere that it may be possible to be included on the family plan for an additional premium, which could be a cheaper option than having a separate plan. I am a 66 year old female. Also, is it possible to buy insurance to cover the 10%, or whatever isn't covered by the healthcare policy. Thanks very much for your reply.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Both my daughter and son-in-law are in full time secure employment, and are both American citizens.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are not living in the US but you want to be included in the health cover of people living there ? I am confused about your statement "I have no status there."
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Apologies, I am a British citizen, currently living in Spain. My family have suggested that at some point I should join them in the USA, as I get older. My main reservation regarding this, is the cost of healthcare, particularly for the over seventies. I don't know if my whole pension would cover the premiums etc, and I have no intention of being a drain on their resources. Hence my enquiry. I would ask them, but at this point, I do not want them to know that I am considering the idea, although it looks like it may be the simplest source of information.
Thanks very much.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Compost Mentis
Apologies, I am a British citizen, currently living in Spain. My family have suggested that at some point I should join them in the USA, as I get older. My main reservation regarding this, is the cost of healthcare, particularly for the over seventies. I don't know if my whole pension would cover the premiums etc, and I have no intention of being a drain on their resources. Hence my enquiry. I would ask them, but at this point, I do not want them to know that I am considering the idea, although it looks like it may be the simplest source of information.
Thanks very much.
Each health provider is different and has different criteria for being able to be included on a family plan. There is no way for us to know. Your daughter or son in law would have to ask their insurance provider if a US PR (which you will be after you immigrate) parent would be able to be included on their family plan.

And, with a new president, the US health care system could be going through an overhaul in general, so can't really comment on private health care, either, since we don't know what it will be like by the time you get an immigrant visa and land in the USA in the future.

Unfortunately there is no "one answer fits all" here.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I can see that I will have to ask them after all.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Compost Mentis
My family have suggested that at some point I should join them in the USA, as I get older.

I would ask them, but at this point, I do not want them to know that I am considering the idea...
Just in case you aren't aware of how the processing works for you to immigrate based on having a USC child: Your daughter will file an I-130 petition for you first, and then once that gets approved, she submits an affidavit of support and you submit some documents (when asked for), then you have a medical exam and attend an in-person interview in London. This whole process takes about 8 to 10 months to complete.

So, when your daughter is suggesting that at some point you should join them in the USA, she will have to start the ball rolling. She will also have to be your financial sponsor (look up form I-864 at www.uscis.gov if you would like to know exactly what that means).

I understand you might not want them to know right now that you're considering the idea...just making you aware that you can't really do anything until your daughter wants you to immigrate and files an I-130 for you.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2016, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Being that she is living in Spain, can't she interview at the US Consulate in Spain? Does she really need to return to the UK for the interview?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just in case you aren't aware of how the processing works for you to immigrate based on having a USC child: Your daughter will file an I-130 petition for you first, and then once that gets approved, she submits an affidavit of support and you submit some documents (when asked for), then you have a medical exam and attend an in-person interview in London. This whole process takes about 8 to 10 months to complete.

So, when your daughter is suggesting that at some point you should join them in the USA, she will have to start the ball rolling. She will also have to be your financial sponsor (look up form I-864 at www.uscis.gov if you would like to know exactly what that means).

I understand you might not want them to know right now that you're considering the idea...just making you aware that you can't really do anything until your daughter wants you to immigrate and files an I-130 for you.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2016, 1:15 pm

Oh yes, sorry....she could interview in Spain if she's living there at the time.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

..... and even if the OP is included on the family plan (and that's a big if) there would still be premiums and out of pocket expenses to pay.

Being over 70, and if she could get on the family plan, the OP would be looking at around 500 to 700 bucks per month premiums I should imagine.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... and even if the OP is included on the family plan (and that's a big if) there would still be premiums and out of pocket expenses to pay.

Being over 70, and if she could get on the family plan, the OP would be looking at around 500 to 700 bucks per month premiums I should imagine.

She is 66 so she still has four years (three if she immigrating since it will take her about 1 year to do) before age 70.

Regardless, she will still have substantial monthly premium to pay. She will have the option of getting her own insurance even if she can get on her daughter's healthcare insurance so she has the ability to be able to compare costs in premiums, co-pays, deductibles and choices of doctors before she decides.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The OP needs her USC immediate family to sponsor her for a Green Card so she can live in the US.

After 5 years permanent residence she can apply for Medicare, but will need to pay the premiums for Parts A and B (about $550/month) and also for the usual extra drug and gap insurance (~100/month). For the first 5 years she will need to find insurance on the state or private market, I've never heard of an employer plan that allows parents to be included. She should see if she qualifies for medicaid and look at Healthcare.gov.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume the situation is that they have employer provided cover that is subsidised.

If they buy individually and it is possible to add a parent then any cost saving would be nominal.

Over 65 the assumption is that most people will be on Medicare, not something you can do initially and when you can you have to buy in at significant cost.

Things change, and where you would be living and the rules that apply there matter.

Then there is the issue of income and tax credits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.