Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pension tax concerns - Replace greencard for B2

Pension tax concerns - Replace greencard for B2

Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension tax concerns - Replace greencard for B2

Originally Posted by Samxboy
I understood that once you return your GC with appropriate paperwork(I-407) at the consulate, you are then exempt from US taxation from the next calendar year. They state this pretty clearly...no more tax liabilities.
These are two separate issues. You could still count as a US resident for tax purposes even if you don't have US (immigration) permanent residency any more.

For this to happen, you would need to pass the US substantial presence test. The basic test is a bit complicated, in terms of numbers, but the closer connection exception basically means that as long as you spend more days each year in the UK than in the US, you aren't a US tax resident.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vulcan
Lost in translation? miss quoted? taken out of context even?

just like Nun and I have both told you Every reason to ignore that pompous remark and to question your other dictats.

So assuming we have everything before us, the UK will allow 25% of a pension fund lump sum paid tax free and the balance @ 40 to 45% tax rate.

The IRS will then tax the 25% the UK paid free of tax and, will then tax what's left of the balance after the the UK took 40 to 45%.

Hmmmm that leaves (2-7=11, 11x20%= -5, less $1 donation to ?) Nothing

Unless someone out there knows different.
Eh?

The original question, in the first post, was about the "25% lump sum" that is free of tax in the UK. The "oversimplification" I made was to miss off "25%" from the post that seems to have made you want to attack me personally.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
These are two separate issues. You could still count as a US resident for tax purposes even if you don't have US (immigration) permanent residency any more.

For this to happen, you would need to pass the US substantial presence test. The basic test is a bit complicated, in terms of numbers, but the closer connection exception basically means that as long as you spend more days each year in the UK than in the US, you aren't a US tax resident.
Thanks for that...happy days!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?

The original question, in the first post, was about the "25% lump sum" that is free of tax in the UK. The "oversimplification" I made was to miss off "25%" from the post that seems to have made you want to attack me personally.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that...happy days!
No problem.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If you take the UK tax free 25% over a number of years then under UK domestic rules 25% of your pension payments is UK tax free. As a US tax resident under 17.1 of the treaty there will be no UK tax due and you can argue that the portion that is UK tax free is also US tax free.

Only the portion of the payment that is from the UK tax free 25% would be tax free.
Nun, of course I know that's been the case up until 2015...but have you looked at the new UK tax rules which just took effect this year?

I ask because as you know, this question surfaced recently in at least 2 different threads. That led me to spend a ton of time on UK govt. web sites - and as far as I was able to fathom (as I say in my post, above) per the changed UK rules - a lump sum need not be taken in 1 payment. But any and all distributions after the initial one will (per the new rules) will be 75% taxable.

To put it another way - in the UK (per the changed rules which took effect in 2015) - receiving a 25% lump sum 100% tax-free requires it's entire distribution in 1 single payment.

I think I have previously posted what I referenced, which I believed confirmed my reasoning....or if I didn't do so - it may have been because it was a pdf doc to which I couldn't link directly....but if you'd like I can try to find it.....

Originally Posted by nun
The saving clause allows the US to tax a lump sum taken from a UK pension. This is why the UK 25% tax free amount is taxed in the US and why it would be better if the IRS could be convinced that the pension is taken in periodic payments. ***In that case there is no UK tax and the UK 25% tax free amount would also apply to the US tax due.***
***see what I've just said above

Last edited by MMcD; Aug 12th 2015 at 5:16 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I just found this, from the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/08-0024.pdf

Which seems pretty definitive, unfortunately.
A letter from the IRS which backs up all the professional advice I have ever received on the subject. Until the IRS say that they do not expect tax to be paid on the 25% lump sum which is tax free in the UK anything thing else is tilting at windmills.

Nun's theory is just that a theory, maybe a good one, but as yet I have not seen any evidence that somebody has convinced the IRS to except it. Until they do people should work on the supposition that trying to get the 25% lump sum tax free in the US is a gamble.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Nun's theory is just that a theory, ***maybe a good one***, but as yet I have not seen any evidence that somebody has convinced the IRS to except it.

*** Please someone, help me to understand why it might be if what I've just posted above is correct.
And if I'm mistaken....please tell me why.....
Old Aug 12th 2015, 5:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD

*** Please someone, help me to understand why it might be if what I've just posted above is correct.
And if I'm mistaken....please tell me why.....
I said maybe a good one because no-one knows, in the same way you say if you are correct. Until someone is brave enough to take on the IRS and get a definitive decision all this is just theory. I was being polite about nun's theory as I have no idea.

The only thing that isn't theory is the letter from the IRS saying the 25% lump sum is subject to the saver clause and is taxable.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vulcan
L

So assuming we have everything before us, the UK will allow 25% of a pension fund lump sum paid tax free and the balance @ 40 to 45% tax rate.

The IRS will then tax the 25% the UK paid free of tax and, will then tax what's left of the balance after the the UK took 40 to 45%.

Hmmmm that leaves (2-7=11, 11x20%= -5, less $1 donation to ?) Nothing

Unless someone out there knows different.
If you are a US tax resident and you receive a lump sum distribution from a UK private pension the IRS will tax 100% of the payment at US income tax rates, unless you have built up a US tax free basis. The UK will tax 75% of the payment at UK income tax rates and you will take a credit for the US tax paid on your UK self assessment against the UK tax due.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I said maybe a good one because no-one knows, in the same way you say if you are correct. Until someone is brave enough to take on the IRS and get a definitive decision all this is just theory. I was being polite about nun's theory as I have no idea.

The only thing that isn't theory is the letter from the IRS saying the 25% lump sum is subject to the saver clause and is taxable.
But 'nun's theory' rests on an assumption with regard not to the IRS - but to the UK.

And it's this assumption I'm asking him about in my post.

I question whether he's taken the totality of the relevant changed rules in UK into account when offering what, on it's face, appears an interesting suggestion.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my idea of taking the 25% UK tax free amount over a number of years so that it becomes more like a periodic payment than a single lump sum is purely a idea. It sounds sensible to me, but I have no idea whether the IRS would agree.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMcD
But 'nun's theory' rests on an assumption with regard not to the IRS - but to the UK.

And it's this assumption I'm asking him about in my post.

I question whether he's taken the totality of the relevant changed rules in UK into account when offering what, on it's face, appears an interesting suggestion.
I'm just using the change that the 25% tax free amount can be taken over a number of years rather than as a single payment. So if you have $100k you could now take that as $20k per year over 5 years and under UK rules you'd only be liable to tax on $15k a year.

Of course the key is whether taking the money over 5 years stops it from being a lump sum payment. If it does then there would be no UK tax at all and only 75% of it would be taxable in the US.

Of course we still don't really know what is meant by the term "lump sum" in the treaty. If it is the IRS definition then by spreading the payments out over two years it would not be a lump sum.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

All responses very much appreciated. Bit of a no brainer really in that the GC is going back and life will return to 'normal' in dear old blighty! Can't rely on these colonials for sensible fiscal policies.
Needless to say my original question was whether it was possible to get a B2 after a green card. Appreciate that largely depends on my particular circumstances but wondering if anyone had ever done it?
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

All responses very much appreciated. Bit of a no brainer really in that the GC is going back and life will return to 'normal' in dear old blighty! Can't rely on these colonials for sensible fiscal policies.
Needless to say my original question was whether it was possible to get a B2 after a green card. Appreciate that largely depends on my particular circumstances but wondering if anyone had ever done it?
Got a bit dicey for a bit tho, didn't it. ->
Wheeesh....

Glad that, in the end, it helped you make a decision
Hope you get some replys re the green card / B2 question....without attendant fisticuffs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.