Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pension Chat

Pension Chat

Old Apr 10th 2019, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension Chat

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Overthinking...anxious...and also not 'getting it'
Your right Celticgrid

My taxes and situation are pretty simple and straight forward I am just over complicating things, it will be a good few decades before I'm eligible to retire and withdraw from it anyways.

Last edited by dee98; Apr 10th 2019 at 1:16 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 1:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dee98
Your right Celticgrid

My taxes and situation are pretty simple and straight forward I am just over complicating things.
Yes, you are. How many times does a question have to be answered and by what number of people before you decide which answer is one that you can accept?

While I don't have to deal with UK pensions, I do have to deal with my husband's military and old age pension from Canada and it is not a walk in the park. I've worked with tax accountants who have been excellent and we've never had a problem with IRS and yet we moved and worked with a new tax accountant who researched and researched and came up with the wrong answers. Told us we owed over a thousand in taxes last year, we paid IRS because of time constraints being already on an extension. I knew the money would be given back and it was in full, with interest. One other time the accountant forgot to send in one T-4 (a w-2 equivalent from Canada) and we were told we owed x amount. The accountant handled the situation and we got a letter from IRS stating that the tax year in question was brought up to day and no monies were owed.

I tell you this so that if something goes wrong, it is correctable.

And, no, you don't have to disclose the name of the CPA you consulted. It is preferred that names not be given publicly but if you wanted to make a referral if someone asks, you can do so privately but PM.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

And, no, you don't have to disclose the name of the CPA you consulted.

Far as I can see no one has suggested that you have to do this regarding a CPA, or any other business. Fictional or otherwise....

Even if, if genuine, it would be very useful to others. Credible information is valuable.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 10th 2019 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 10th 2019, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hotscot,

Not fictional contrary to your belief

Am I correct in saying from what I have learned in the other threads would be for anyone whom has an automatic-enrolled UK occupational pension whether it be a Brit living in the US or an working in the UK would be the first question to ask whom contributed more to it? If your employer contributed 50% or more this would not be a foreign grantor trust however if the employee contributed more than 50% this would result in it being a foreign grantor trust and would then require additional paperwork?

Would this be the Golden rule essentially??

By doing the above if it is not a foreign grantor trust it is just a regular occupational pension that is reported on a FBAR/8938 when applicable.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Hotscot,

Your point is proven...In all seriousness my reply prior to the deleted posts have I summed up what was mentioned in determining a foreign grantor trust correctly in relation to an occupational pension scheme?? and if it's not a FGT then reporting would be on 8938/FBAR (when applicable) That's all my question is.

As you know I have anxiety and unfortunately it greatly plays against me it is something I am working on, your help has been immensely appreciated I genuinely mean that, I just want to ensure my understanding is correct and I will be done with this.

Last edited by dee98; Apr 10th 2019 at 7:04 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your stress Dee. I hope it gets better.
The answer is yes. Absolutely.
However since I am not a tax pro you might like to check with a CPA who has international experience.
I could be wrong.

Please report back when you confirm as it will benefit the community.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 10th 2019 at 7:16 pm.