Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pennsylvania drivers' permit - medical

Pennsylvania drivers' permit - medical

Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pennsylvania drivers' permit - medical

Originally Posted by exvj
The bike test is harder coz I didnt agree with some of their specimen answers like what do you do if a car load of drunks starts tail gating your bike and you are behind a truck

I would have said sprint round the truck and hope they overshoot when they pass it - but the correct answer was 'slow down' - I mean honestly 'slow down' with a bunch of drunks 6 inches from your back tyre - but I knew thats the answer they wanted so I gave em it and passed
When you say overshoot is that a euphamisim for crash and burn?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:14 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
When you say overshoot is that a euphamisim for crash and burn?
Or be beamed up by aliens (the other kind of aliens). My preference would be to whizz round the truck and go to the margin of the shoulder so when the drunks come round the truck, I can get well to the right and out of their way

Actually, as we all find out, the US is not one country and the States really are very different.

In Florida, it was insane on the US 19 - a real race track and killing ground. Here in Central Washington, when I am turning left, cars coming the other way actually stop to let me cross their path ! Its all smiles and courtesy and nobody is trying to chop you up or pass you when you are turning left etc. After 40 years of driving in Europe, I just expect people to be all over me and doing their very worst - so it's quite an adjustment for everyone to be so nice and considerate.

When I go over the mountain to Seattle, some of the crazy stuff starts again - my airport shuttle driver there said there were kids hanging out of a car and firing an AK47 assault rifle at some other kids in another car.

They should ask you in the test, what you do in that circumstance ...
Wrong answer is 'toss a phosphorus grenade through their open window'
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:01 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Example 'you are standing at a red light and a woman pushes a pram in front of you as the light turns green'

Do you

A blow your horn and drive straight at her
B wait until she has crossed before you move off

I am not kidding when I say a lot of the questions were like that and that is one of em
I've mentioned the TX questions before. Well, some lady was kind enough to post the test papers at: http://www.outposthouston.com/pdf/Sa...iving_Test.pdf.

As a result, I was able to find the infamous "Roadside Barber Shop" question.
Attached Thumbnails Pennsylvania drivers' permit - medical-barbershop.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

candcb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thenoblesavage
Thanks all for your contributions. I've had my medical with the chiropractor, $25 and all done in 10 minutes with no waiting! Got talking to them as they know my father-in-law, he seems pretty well known in rural PA!! When I got back home had a message from one of the doctors I called yesterday quoting $56, so I had quotes of $25, $56 and £200!! Feel pleased and would advise everyone in PA to get their medical done by a chiropractor, no waiting in a doctor's surgery and much cheaper. Though this was the easy part no matter how easy the knowledge test and practical test are, as a non driver it seems a small mountain to climb at the moment!!

James
My wife and I have just moved to Bryn Mawr, PA from the UK and are faced with similar challenges. Although we have both held licenses in Britain for many years, I have a feeling we are going to have to approach the tests like we only started driving (old habits die hard!)
Thanks for this thread and the advice to see a chiropractor for the med exam...
James, do let us know how you get on with the test. Which centre are you going to in PA?

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by candcb
My wife and I have just moved to Bryn Mawr, PA from the UK and are faced with similar challenges. Although we have both held licenses in Britain for many years, I have a feeling we are going to have to approach the tests like we only started driving (old habits die hard!)
Good luck. In truth, it'll go one of two ways. Either you'll get a reasonable examiner (more likely in a bigger city) who will informally acknowledge your experience and ask you to do the bare minimum in order to be able to pass you. Or you'll get somebody who doesn't like foreigners (more likely in a small town), who will find any excuse to fail you, regardless of the rules.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candcb
Thanks for this thread and the advice to see a chiropractor for the med exam...
James, do let us know how you get on with the test. Which centre are you going to in PA?

Chris
I would hate to do the UK test now - it sounds much harder than the 60's. I would fail.
The US tests are a piece of cake in comparison - not half as hard as my test in Harrogate in March 1965

No clutch is a big plus, and 3 point turns in a road half a mile wide is easy peasy lemon squeezy

The road test really is piece of cake as long as you check your blind spot (which I didnt)

The theory test is dead easy as long as you do a few hours reasearch on line - looking at the State driver's handbook and specimen questions

If I moved to a State which didnt recognize my Washington State license, it wouldnt bother me a jot to do the test again. So far I have had Wisconsin, Florida and Washington State licenses and passed my car test in Wisconsin and motobike test in Florida - that was a piece of cake too
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

thenoblesavage is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

I'll be taking the test in Williamsport (home of Little League no less!!), which is near my father-in-law's house in Woolrich. We're moving to Yardley in Bucks County on the 30 September, we have a house, just waiting for the completion date. Anyway I had wanted to learn before we moved, my wife (who grew up in Woolrich) reckons the driving test will be a lot easier to pass in rural PA than in the area we're moving to! Thanks to the delay in getting my social security number (I waited 5 weeks for it (I ticked the box on the DS-230), I doubt I'll learn by the time we move in! Anyway I plan to do the knowledge test this week so will let you know how I get on......only if I pass though!!

James

Last edited by thenoblesavage; Sep 13th 2009 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:41 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

I'll be taking the test in Williamsport (home of Little League no less!!), which is near my father-in-law's house in Woolrich. We're moving to Yardley in Bucks County on the 30 September, we have a house, just waiting for the completion date. Anyway I had wanted to learn before we moved, my wife (who grew up in Woolrich) reckons the driving test will be a lot easier to pass in rural PA than in the area we're moving to! Thanks to the delay in getting my social security number (I waited 5 weeks for it (I ticked the box on the DS-230), I doubt I'll learn by the time we move in! Anyway I plan to do the knowledge test this week so will let you know how I get on......only if I pass though!!

James
I live in Pittsburgh and all I had to do was show the examiner that I could operate the lights and indicators and that they were working. Then we drove to an area behind the test centre and I parallell parked. Then it was out onto the road, a left turn onto a four lane highway from a traffic light junction.
Right turn a few mins later onto a side road with a lower speed limit.
Accross a railway line (remember to stop). Back onto the main highway and return to the driver centre.
15 minutes tops.
I booked a 9am test time and there was hardly any traffic on the road.

They use the same route all the time.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:24 am
Just Joined

thenoblesavage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

So I passed the Pennsylvania Knowledge Test for a permit that now allows me to learn to drive! Only had to get 15 correct out of 18, got the first 15 correct so didn't even have to do the last 3 questions!

Anyway for anyone's future reference it was really simple and straight forward, as long as you read the driver's manual. The online version of the manual has a series of sample questions and answers after chapters 2, 3 & 4, if you can answer these you'll do the Knowledge Test with no problems.

On a side issue, I received in the post my third copy of the book "Welcome to the United States" yesterday. One given to me by the Embassy in London and two sent to me since arrival by Homeland Security!!

Anyway good luck with the driving test if you're taking it,

James
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:27 am
Banned

Hi all,

So I passed the Pennsylvania Knowledge Test for a permit that now allows me to learn to drive! Only had to get 15 correct out of 18, got the first 15 correct so didn't even have to do the last 3 questions!

Anyway for anyone's future reference it was really simple and straight forward, as long as you read the driver's manual. The online version of the manual has a series of sample questions and answers after chapters 2, 3 & 4, if you can answer these you'll do the Knowledge Test with no problems.

On a side issue, I received in the post my third copy of the book "Welcome to the United States" yesterday. One given to me by the Embassy in London and two sent to me since arrival by Homeland Security!!

Anyway good luck with the driving test if you're taking it,

James
Good man !

It just gets better now

a couple of years from now when all your qualifications and bank accounts and authorisations etc are in the USA, you will fear going back

I do - I would have to sell my machine gun !
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:29 am

I do - I would have to sell my machine gun !
Surely you mean semi-automatic rifle? Or did you really get a Class 3?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Surely you mean semi-automatic rifle? Or did you really get a Class 3?
It's not what you have got, it's what you do with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIC8SMttjjo
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:49 am

It's not what you have got, it's what you do with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIC8SMttjjo
I've never thought bump firing was that clever, though.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I've never thought bump firing was that clever, though.
What's clever in Texas ?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:28 am

What's clever in Texas ?
Well, I thought being able to buy firearms as an LPR without needing a special permit was pretty clever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.