British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pending charge dropped (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pending-charge-dropped-773303/)

GeoffM Oct 1st 2012 4:32 pm

Pending charge dropped

Rather odd this one. I had a Universal Studios Ticketing charge appear in the pending section of my AMEX card for a few days. Now it's gone completely. We haven't been to Universal for a couple of months, and our tickets are annual ones paid in full so no recurring charges, so this new charge was worrying. Especially as I had to dispute a $150 charge from Universal several months ago on the same card (refunded to me as Universal didn't offer any evidence of the transaction). I've changed card numbers now.

So why would a charge appear in pending and then fall off without me doing anything?

helwardman Oct 1st 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Pending charge dropped

Just a thought, but maybe ask Universal or AMEX. Or both.

GeoffM Oct 1st 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 10308548)
Just a thought, but maybe ask Universal or AMEX. Or both.

Universal supply a phone number in the transaction detail but it goes straight to answerphone with a full mailbox. In any case, it's dropped off so I can't see it! I did speak to AMEX about it and they couldn't offer any explanation.

DexterBerkeley Oct 1st 2012 5:13 pm

I'm not sure if this is related but something which happened with my debit card last week.

Went to the pictures (movie theater) and the machine wanted our ZIP code to complete the transaction, at this point it then failed. We had only recently changed our address from my office to our apartment so I tried again with the old zip code and it worked. When looking on on-line banking both charges were there and after a couple of days the one which failed at the terminal dropped of the list of transactions and the funds returned.

Not sure if this is much help to you, but is it possible your card number was used for a charge which ultimately failed?

GeoffM Oct 1st 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley (Post 10308602)
Not sure if this is much help to you, but is it possible your card number was used for a charge which ultimately failed?

It's possible - but since I hadn't been there since August, and had no need to buy tickets, it's a bit worrying! Hence why I got a new card.

Come to think of it, my zipcode also changed. As that's the second false charge from Universal Ticketing, I think somebody had my card number - yet only tried twice in several months. Strange. Scary.

lansbury Oct 1st 2012 7:04 pm

A pending charge means they have run the card to see if funds are available, and the card is valid. A pending charge will drop off if the vendor doesn't process the sale.

Might be your card issuers fraud software caught the false transaction and stopped it, especially as you have changed the card.

ian-mstm Oct 1st 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley (Post 10308602)
Went to the pictures (movie theater) and the machine wanted our ZIP code to complete the transaction, at this point it then failed.

I travel to Florida 2x each year for school... when I fill up my car, the gas pump always asks for my zip code. When I enter the correct code, the gas card is accepted and I start filling the tank. This only seems to happen when I auto-pay. When I give my card to pay a bill at the restaurant, the charge isn't questioned.

Ian

GeoffM Oct 1st 2012 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10308737)
A pending charge means they have run the card to see if funds are available, and the card is valid. A pending charge will drop off if the vendor doesn't process the sale.

Might be your card issuers fraud software caught the false transaction and stopped it, especially as you have changed the card.

That sounds sensible. I didn't change the card until I noticed it in the pending list though - depends when the verification takes place I guess, when it's first submitted or when it goes from pending to charged.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10308781)
I travel to Florida 2x each year for school... when I fill up my car, the gas pump always asks for my zip code. When I enter the correct code, the gas card is accepted and I start filling the tank. This only seems to happen when I auto-pay. When I give my card to pay a bill at the restaurant, the charge isn't questioned.

Some consistency would be nice! Apparently most of your transactions, including fuel, take place within a few miles of your home. So somebody finding a card dropped on the gas station forecourt would have a rather good chance of guessing the zip code correctly. I mean, every little layer of security helps, but come on! Some places ask for ID, some for a signature, others just swipe the card and hand it back.

But I hear MC and VISA are pushing the US into chip&pin so maybe things will improve in years to come.

DexterBerkeley Oct 1st 2012 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10308873)
But I hear MC and VISA are pushing the US into chip&pin so maybe things will improve in years to come.

In MA, while I don't have a chip on my debit card most places, including gas pumps require my PIN to authorize the transaction. I have no idea with credits cards, I haven't got a SSN yet :(.

Bob Oct 1st 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley (Post 10308879)
In MA, while I don't have a chip on my debit card most places, including gas pumps require my PIN to authorize the transaction. I have no idea with credits cards, I haven't got a SSN yet :(.

If you select to run your debit card as a credit card, you won't get asked.

Different levels of protection from the vendors of the card.

GeoffM Oct 23rd 2012 4:48 pm

Just got off the phone to Universal after an email from them this morning saying our FlexPay payment had failed and thus our annual passes were suspended. :eek: However, things are now becoming clear on what has happened.

My AMEX statement showed a $427 charge for ticketing at Universal, followed by another charge for $150. The first adds up to the cost of the three passes paid in full. The second adds up to the cost of 3x$50 downpayments for FlexPay. I have only just noticed that I was being charged $25.18 per month, with only the October one that failed - probably because I changed card number before it tried to go through.

Universal say that the passes associated with the $150 charge have never been used - though we've been 3-4 times on our passes. So what appears to have happened is that two sets of three passes were issued by the ticket booths - even though FlexPay isn't an option at the ticket booths!

So that's the mystery solved: now I need to get my money back and ensure the fully paid up passes haven't been blocked. They asked for an emailed scan of the passes, and I also sent the AMEX statement showing the amounts paid. :fingerscrossed:

GeoffM Oct 23rd 2012 6:11 pm

Yep, it was the passes we never had that got blocked, not the ones in my hand. Universal are going to do a refund back to my card (which should work, according to AMEX, even though the number has changed).

So, just a cock-up at the ticket booths has meant several hours today and previously sorting out the mess. :( I ought to ask for a gift as a way of apology but since I had to shout at her :o to stop her interrupting and talking over me several times, I'm on shaky ground!

Pulaski Oct 24th 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10308890)
If you select to run your debit card as a credit card, you won't get asked.

Different levels of protection from the vendors of the card.

All my credit cards require a zip-code at the pump, not sure about debit cards as I don't have one, though curiously my gas card just swipes and works.

redarmy990 Oct 24th 2012 8:59 pm

i have only been here in usa since end of june,i have a debit card that ive never used as i use my amex card.

went on online banking and there was a charge for $30 from readers digest.
so my wife phoned the bank and apparently it was my card that had been used.

how the heck can people get your details when you have never ever used the card thats very very scary to me.

anyway charge got reversed and im now awaiting a new debit card

Bob Oct 25th 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10347326)
All my credit cards require a zip-code at the pump, not sure about debit cards as I don't have one, though curiously my gas card just swipes and works.

Down my way, they dont' ask for zip code....only Irvings does that, but there aren't many of those in the state.