Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pediatric Hepatitis B Vaccination and Schools

Pediatric Hepatitis B Vaccination and Schools

Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold
Default Pediatric Hepatitis B Vaccination and Schools

Shortly relocating to CA on an L1 visa, due to arrive at the end of May.

I have 2 children, aged 2 years and 4 years (will be 5 by the time we arrive).

My wife and I would like to start our 5 year old in Kindergarten and then elementary school as soon as possible, as he has already been in full time Infant School here in the UK for some time.

However to attend school he needs the required additional vaccinations, not offered as standard in the UK. The Chickenpox vaccination is relatively straightforward, but we think we have a problem with the Hep B vaccine.

The standard course of immunization for Hep B in kids involves 3 injections. Doses 1 and 2 one month apart. The 3rd 6 months later.

If we start now we can get the first and second doses in but will have to wait 6 months for the last. Clearly we do not want our Son to miss school and keeping him out of education until December/January 2009 when he will be almost 6 seems terrible to us, having gotten used to the far early school starting times in the UK. Not to mention the isolation he may feel, not having a chance to bond with new friends in a school environment.

An accelerated course in 3 months is apparently available, has anybody had experience with this? We are concerned about stressing his young body with all these vaccines in such a short period.

How strict are CA schools? Is it possible that they may consider admission with doses 1 and 2 administered and dose 3 pending?

Sir Denis...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: Pediatric Hepatitis B Vaccination and Schools

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg

My wife and I would like to start our 5 year old in Kindergarten and then elementary school as soon as possible, as he has already been in full time Infant School here in the UK for some time.

However to attend school he needs the required additional vaccinations, not offered as standard in the UK. The Chickenpox vaccination is relatively straightforward, but we think we have a problem with the Hep B vaccine.

The standard course of immunization for Hep B in kids involves 3 injections. Doses 1 and 2 one month apart. The 3rd 6 months later.

If we start now we can get the first and second doses in but will have to wait 6 months for the last. Clearly we do not want our Son to miss school and keeping him out of education until December/January 2009 when he will be almost 6 seems terrible to us, having gotten used to the far early school starting times in the UK. Not to mention the isolation he may feel, not having a chance to bond with new friends in a school environment.

An accelerated course in 3 months is apparently available, has anybody had experience with this? We are concerned about stressing his young body with all these vaccines in such a short period.

How strict are CA schools? Is it possible that they may consider admission with doses 1 and 2 administered and dose 3 pending?

Sir Denis...

I feel for you, we are playing the same game with our kids now but have had more time than you to catch up with the shots.

Do you know what school your child will be attending yet? If so, contact the school nurse and explain your situation, I'm sure as long as they have your word and can see that you are making an attempt to catch up on the shots there may not be a problem. My 5 year old also starts Kindergarten in September and has had to have another MMR, so your shild might also have to have that. My 2 also needed additional polio, DTP and possibly one more as they give more doseage levels here than in the UK.

Here is the current schedule for 0-6 year olds
http://www.cispimmunize.org/IZSchedule_Childhood.pdf

There is also a catch up schedule, which I have to say I didn't really understand but it is early in the morning here so it might make more sense to you!
http://www.cispimmunize.org/IZSchedule_Catchup.pdf

This is the website where the info can be found on immunisation
http://www.cispimmunize.org/

It's really hard on the kids, my 2 are traumatised by having a shot each time we go to the Dr's, they start screaming in the car on they way there! And the Dr is lovely, I'm sure the kids will hate her until they are at least 10!

Good luck
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:57 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in PA. Our schools are happy if you have had the first two parts of the Hep B and will let children start school. They will keep reminding you to have the third part.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm in PA. Our schools are happy if you have had the first two parts of the Hep B and will let children start school. They will keep reminding you to have the third part.

My kids were Ok as long as they had started the process they did send a letter home as the Uk records (those red books they issued in UK) were not as great as we had hoped they would be but took about 12 months for everyone to be upto date.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Denis...
We live in the State of Washington and I refuse to vaccinate my child with vaccinations I don't agree with, Hep B is one of them. My opinion and my child and Washington has an opt out on the form (back of the form) that a parent may sign. I don't know if California is overly strict - but certainly you can check on a government website.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

The schedual is first dose 1 month until 2nd dose third 5 months after this, so in all it takes 6 months, also the pediatric dose is only 1/2 the adult dose, and there are fair worse things they could be exposed to, such as the Hep B viris which in a body fluid incident with an infected person is 1 in 3 as apposed to 1 in 30 for Hep C and 1 in 300 for HIV (love those figures nice and neat). I was also told so long as they had, had 2 doses before starting it would be okay, I wouldn't do the acelerated course as over in the UK we vaccinate again after a year as protection doesn't seem to be as good so they would have to undergo 4 injections instead of 3 (i am not worried about the vaccine just having to put my children through another needle experience)

My three year old twins had their entire course here as I was given the heads up on this 7 months ago, they also need varacella which is a one off dose, which I am leaving until I get the the US as I can do that for free and there isn't the same timing issues (dispite the fact they had chicken pox in sept) the varacella you may need to pay for over here, but my PCT did the Hep B for free on children under 16 on request! as my employer charges £150 for adults this cheered me up no end
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If you can give the date your child has had confirmed chicken pox then you can often get away with not having the varicella one. Of course they should have been over 12 months of age when they had it, otherwise it doesn't count.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold

Sir Denis...
Hi Sir Denis

We were in the same boat three years ago - get what you can done in the UK and then the final one/two done over here. You will probably have to pay for the jabs in the UK - not cheap either. You will need to bring proof of all jabs. The school nurse should be aware that the jabs have to be spaced out and therefore its beyond your control. Once you have completed the course get the doctor over here to give you a confirmation slip and then take that to the school.

Hope this has helped.

Soap addict
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We live in the State of Washington and I refuse to vaccinate my child with vaccinations I don't agree with, Hep B is one of them. My opinion and my child and Washington has an opt out on the form (back of the form) that a parent may sign. I don't know if California is overly strict - but certainly you can check on a government website.
We signed a waiver when we were in MI...you can refuse (depending on which State you are in) but they just don't tell you about it
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
If you can give the date your child has had confirmed chicken pox then you can often get away with not having the varicella one. Of course they should have been over 12 months of age when they had it, otherwise it doesn't count.
titre test will need to be done to show proof usually though, but worth doing on the NHS before heading over...would probably be covered in a medical exam on the medical insurance once over here, but if not, it'll be a couple odd hundred, cheaper than getting a set of jabs for an adult though.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
titre test will need to be done to show proof usually though, but worth doing on the NHS before heading over...would probably be covered in a medical exam on the medical insurance once over here, but if not, it'll be a couple odd hundred, cheaper than getting a set of jabs for an adult though.
I told my paediatrician that both my boys had had the chickenpox and gave her a rough date (I couldn't remember exactly when) and she took my word for it. This now appears on the boys immunisation forms that get filled out for the schools. I suppose it just depends on how trusting your paediatrician is of you, although the boys do have a few pock marks to prove it!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm genuinely curious as to why vaccination for hep b is needed for infants . Surely the chances of them being exposed to blood or other infected body fluids are very slim.

Sorry just curious because as far as I am aware in the UK most adults are not vaccinated , only people like health care workers who would have a greater risk of exposure than the average person.

I'm not questioning facts here , just looking for the rationale behind two very different policies

Thanks

Zoe
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hep B kills about 1,000,000 people a year, and in about 1/3 of the cases they cannot identify the transmission source. Hepatitis B is the most infectious bloodborne pathogen known.

Hep B is extremely common amongst Asian populations, with some estimates saying as many as 75% of Chinese have been exposed to it. Worldwide I think the number is around 400-700 million having Hep A or B. In adults it clear itself, but in children it can be a bit rougher.

I travel to Asia and went ahead and got the TwinRix series of shots. My children have had it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B

FWIW, certain areas of Canada have very high Hep B rates

UPDATE:
Hepatitis B virus infects over 200,000 people in the US every year, and there are currently 1.5 million chronic carriers in America alone.
Hepatitis B kills over 5,000 Americans each year. It is a leading cause of chronic cirrhosis and a known cause of hepatocellular carcinoma. Death is usually delayed 10 to 20 years from the time of original infection.
http://www.nfid.org/factsheets/hbagdoc.html

Last edited by penguinsix; Apr 29th 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:12 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Denis...
Hello,
Same age as my kids. We have 2 boys. My 4 year old ( born and raised in CA USA) is 'graduating' from Kindergarden to Elementary school this Sept 2008. Before the elementary school would fully accept him my wife had to get him a tetanus shot and get a dentist visit so they could supply her with dental records for the school. Not sure why a 4 year old needs dental records on file, nevertheless that's what had to be supplied before he would be accepted into the next level of the Santa Monica/Malibu school district.
I would advise you to get as much done as possible, not sure if you will have full medical coverage when you arrive but better to get as much done as possible within a system you are familiar with......................... luckily my wife deals with the medical stuff for our family
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hep B kills about 1,000,000 people a year, and in about 1/3 of the cases they cannot identify the transmission source. Hepatitis B is the most infectious bloodborne pathogen known.

Hep B is extremely common amongst Asian populations, with some estimates saying as many as 75% of Chinese have been exposed to it. Worldwide I think the number is around 400-700 million having Hep A or B. In adults it clear itself, but in children it can be a bit rougher.

I travel to Asia and went ahead and got the TwinRix series of shots. My children have had it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_B

FWIW, certain areas of Canada have very high Hep B rates

UPDATE:
Hepatitis B virus infects over 200,000 people in the US every year, and there are currently 1.5 million chronic carriers in America alone.
Hepatitis B kills over 5,000 Americans each year. It is a leading cause of chronic cirrhosis and a known cause of hepatocellular carcinoma. Death is usually delayed 10 to 20 years from the time of original infection.
http://www.nfid.org/factsheets/hbagdoc.html

I agree that it is a useful vax to have, but think it could be delayed a few years, there doesn't seem to be much reason to give it to infants that I can see. It is also a vax that doesn't 'take' in some people and has been linked to ME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.