British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   which pda? dell or ipaq (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pda-dell-ipaq-383514/)

basementwaj Jul 6th 2006 8:02 pm

which pda? dell or ipaq

I need some help deciding which pda to buy to reorganise my life...
Do i buy the mid range model dell x51 with the bluetooth, wifi and docking station.... or do i get the hp ipaq rx1950 with all the dell features minus the poor battery, bluetooth or docking station?

I have a laptop that i bluetooth connect to the web when working away from home so i guess i dont really need that functionality.....

anyone have any ideas on the best one??? :confused:

peterbainham Jul 6th 2006 9:04 pm

Re: which pda? dell or ipaq

Originally Posted by basementwaj
I need some help deciding which pda to buy to reorganise my life...
Do i buy the mid range model dell x51 with the bluetooth, wifi and docking station.... or do i get the hp ipaq rx1950 with all the dell features minus the poor battery, bluetooth or docking station?

I have a laptop that i bluetooth connect to the web when working away from home so i guess i dont really need that functionality.....

anyone have any ideas on the best one??? :confused:

Gonna need more info than that to make an informed decision.

basementwaj Jul 6th 2006 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Gonna need more info than that to make an informed decision.

gonna use it for diary, contacts and notes mainly. Also to check emails when out of the house (lots of hotspots about). Ive got a new job and i really need to keep ontop of things.

Only other thing i want to run on it is Skype and maybe some other fun pda stuff, might also get a 4 gig sd card for it and use it as an mp3/mp4 player.

i know the axim is twice the size of the ipaq and its battery lasts half as long. but the ipaq only has a 300mh processor and i know the 500mh in the axim can definately handle skype.

peterbainham Jul 6th 2006 10:08 pm

I meant specs and prices.

Andy_LongIsland Jul 7th 2006 1:15 am

I used to have an ipaq for work and thought it was awful and I've used a few Dells which I think are much better so my choice would be Dell.

Though why not get a sidekick 3 for that stuff - do everything you want apart from skype but you can fwd ya phone to that anyway - ooh and you won't need hotspots :)

Pimpbot Jul 7th 2006 1:57 am

I bought the missus an HP iPAQ with WIFI for xmas. Cost $300 It's a lovely little gadget and suits her needs.

basementwaj Jul 7th 2006 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I bought the missus an HP iPAQ with WIFI for xmas. Cost $300 It's a lovely little gadget and suits her needs.

hmmm cool.
i think im starting to edge towards the ipaq. Thanks for your help!

TimFountain Jul 8th 2006 2:54 pm

Handheld PDA's are dead, Dell is getting out of the Market and HP/Compaq sales are terrible, so they won't be far behind Dell. Main reason is the emergence of the PDA Phone (or smartphone). Look for TMobile MDA, Cingular 8125 or 2125 and so on. There are lots to choose from that include Windows Mobile 5 and a phone. On contract these can be had <$200. I have had over 6 different PDA's, and now have an 8125, and it is fab!

- Tim

basementwaj Jul 8th 2006 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Handheld PDA's are dead, Dell is getting out of the Market and HP/Compaq sales are terrible, so they won't be far behind Dell. Main reason is the emergence of the PDA Phone (or smartphone). Look for TMobile MDA, Cingular 8125 or 2125 and so on. There are lots to choose from that include Windows Mobile 5 and a phone. On contract these can be had <$200. I have had over 6 different PDA's, and now have an 8125, and it is fab!

- Tim

Im still in the uk at the momnet, will be in the US by the end of the year. I think if i spend about $250 on a pda until i get to the US i should be ok. Thanks for your help though, i am gonna go onto TMobile when i get there so i will look out for the MDA

Ray Jul 8th 2006 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Handheld PDA's are dead, Dell is getting out of the Market and HP/Compaq sales are terrible, so they won't be far behind Dell. Main reason is the emergence of the PDA Phone (or smartphone). Look for TMobile MDA, Cingular 8125 or 2125 and so on. There are lots to choose from that include Windows Mobile 5 and a phone. On contract these can be had <$200. I have had over 6 different PDA's, and now have an 8125, and it is fab!Tim

And I'm just thinking of updating from 8 track.........