Pc

Old Sep 7th 2005, 10:06 am
Just Joined

stalyvegas has a spectacular aura aboutstalyvegas has a spectacular aura aboutstalyvegas has a spectacular aura about
Default Pc

My wife and I are heading out to the US in a few weeks, and we've just about decided what we're taking with us/leaving here, with the exception of our PC (just a fairly bog standard Dell desktop). So a tedious question for people who've made the move - in your experience would you say it's worthwhile carting a PC and peripherals over there, and is it true that there's no need for a transformer, and that the PC will work just with an adapter?

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:49 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pc

I brought my Dell over with me and just plugged it straight in no problems. If you look at the back where the power lead plugs in it should say 110-220v 50-60hz which means it works ok with either voltage. I had a fairly high spec pc at the time so it was worthwhile but at the moment Dell are selling fairly powerful pc's for $249. Also check Monitor to see if it is dual voltage. The only thing I had to buy a transformer for was the speakers which was 240v only. A tip is to bring over a 6 gang uk extension lead so you can plug all of the uk plugs into it then cut of the uk plug and put an american one on it , saves having to change all of the plugs.

Last edited by vegas; Sep 7th 2005 at 11:53 am.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

As Vegas said it should work here just fine - as did all our printers etc - but it would be cheap to replace as well so it probably comes down to the cost of shipping!

Good Luck
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the psu, but chances are, unless you have a right bit of shite, that the psu will work 110-240v, just have to slide the switch at the back and get a new power cable....most periperhals will probably work with a plug adaptor, or bring a power stip and plug that into a plug adaptor..the monitor, unless it's an lcd type jobby, would be worth selling and getting a new one over here just because there so heavy to lug over.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:08 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

I just brought the tower itself, and dumped the peripherals, they are so cheap to rebuy here, I got a nice new monitor, speakers, printer etc.

If you really wanted, you could simply pull out the hard drive, buy a new box when you get here and drop it in, which will save carting anything bulky at all.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
If you look at the back where the power lead plugs in it should say 110-220v 50-60hz which means it works ok with either voltage.
If it doesn't say 110-220v take the case off and look at the power supply (big box inside where the power cable goes into the tower case). There is often a small slider switch on the power supply and not all manufacturer's make it accessible from the outside the case.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
If it doesn't say 110-220v take the case off and look at the power supply (big box inside where the power cable goes into the tower case). There is often a small slider switch on the power supply and not all manufacturer's make it accessible from the outside the case.
cheap and easy to replace if it weren't multi voltage anyway...
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
I just brought the tower itself, and dumped the peripherals, they are so cheap to rebuy here, I got a nice new monitor, speakers, printer etc.

If you really wanted, you could simply pull out the hard drive, buy a new box when you get here and drop it in, which will save carting anything bulky at all.
Just to clarify this point; Windows XP home/pro will need activating, even for exactly the same machine spec. If it is a different machine it may not boot at all, and if it does you will have to re-activate Windows. If it is a Dell you might get away with it due to their license OEM/SLP. Another option is to use the files and setting starsfer wizard, to take everything to a new machine (you can backup to HDD, CDROM etc) and then import to new machine. This option will preserve everything, right down to recently visited websites, passwords on those website etc. You will need to re-install any other apps you may need (Office, Adobe Acrobat reader etc). Finally you need to have the same service packs on both machines (as I just discovered). This little gem can be found under Programs, accessories, system tools -> Files and settings transfer wizard.

Good luck

- Tim
Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

stalyvegas has a spectacular aura aboutstalyvegas has a spectacular aura aboutstalyvegas has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the help folks, nice to know there's somewhere for a new boy to get some good advice.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stalyvegas
Thanks for all the help folks, nice to know there's somewhere for a new boy to get some good advice.
it's nice to know someone is escaping Stalybridge.