Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

payroll deductions in the US

payroll deductions in the US

Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:40 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default payroll deductions in the US

Can someone tell if its possible to give an estimate of how much you lose in payroll taxes each pay (standard deductions, not private plans)? Is it 30% roughly, higher or lower etc etc and what payroll deductions are typically made and what are they for.

I am wondering because in Canada I lose about 30% of my biweekly salary to :
Tax - federal and provincial, Canada pension plan and Workers comp.

Obviously in the UK we lose it to tax, NI and any private deductions (as far as I remember)

Thanks all
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:55 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: payroll deductions in the US

My income tax deductions result in a tax rate of 25% for my pay. My deductions (ie, healthcare) result in a 3% deduction.

My deductions are:
Employee Med
Dependent Med
Employee D/V
Dependent D/V

My marginal rate at the end of the tax year is ~15% after deductions. It's an insane system that benefits the wealthiest in society, and penalises the poorest IMO.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Also about 30% in my experience, if you include health insurance and tax deductible contributions to an HSA. Mandatory taxes and nothing else only takes 24%. You lose money to federal, state, and sometimes city income taxes, and social security contributions (equiv to NI).

Obviously the tax deductions depend on your income level, and are quite low if you earn less than $50k. It is also going to vary significantly between states; I live in a relatively low tax state.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:00 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My income tax deductions result in a tax rate of 25% for my pay. My deductions (ie, healthcare) result in a 3% deduction.

My deductions are:
Employee Med
Dependent Med
Employee D/V
Dependent D/V

My marginal rate at the end of the tax year is ~15% after deductions. It's an insane system that benefits the wealthiest in society, and penalises the poorest IMO.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
.... My marginal rate at the end of the tax year is ~15% after deductions. .....
Do you mean "marginal", or "average"?

My average rate is similar to your "marginal" rate, but my marginal rate is much higher than that number.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:04 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Also about 30% in my experience, if you include health insurance and tax deductible contributions to an HSA. Mandatory taxes and nothing else only takes 24%. You lose money to federal, state, and sometimes city income taxes, and social security contributions (equiv to NI).

Obviously the tax deductions depend on your income level, and are quite low if you earn less than $50k. It is also going to vary significantly between states; I live in a relatively low tax state.
does that include deductions for Obamacare?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily
does that include deductions for Obamacare?
You mean the "Affordable Care Act" aka "ACA".

I have insurance for me and my daughter through my employer (my wife has insurance through her employer), as I referred to in my previous post. My health insurance is ACA compliant (meets the ACA rules), but was not obtained through a public insurance exchange. If I had to buy insurance through an exchange it would likely take an additional 10% of my gross pay.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:23 pm
Happy

I have insurance for me and my daughter through my employer (my wife has insurance through her employer), as I referred to in my previous post. My health insurance is ACA compliant (meets the ACA rules), but was not obtained through a public insurance exchange. If I had to buy insurance through an exchange it would likely take an additional 10% of my gross pay.
I do mean that.. Arnt they one and the same thing?
So the 30% deductions - does that include ACA?

The reason I am asking is becuase I find the cost per month of ACA high and my neighbour pointed out that all the yanks should stop whining as we pay more for our "free" healthcare in our tax deductions than ACA would cost. I dont believe that would be true... but I dont have a scooby doo frankly
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean "marginal", or "average"?
Turbo Tax says it's my 'effective tax rate', so average. Apologies for the confusion.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:27 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by tom169
They were laughing about this very clip on the radio yesterday morning
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:37 pm

I do mean that.. Arnt they one and the same thing?
So the 30% deductions - does that include ACA?

The reason I am asking is becuase I find the cost per month of ACA high and my neighbour pointed out that all the yanks should stop whining as we pay more for our "free" healthcare in our tax deductions than ACA would cost. I dont believe that would be true... but I dont have a scooby doo frankly
My previous post answers all your questions. ..... I have health insurance, which is ACA compliant, it was not purchased through a public ACA exchange.

The media dubbed the ACA "Obamacare", thinking that they were helping cement President Obama's place in history, but using that name for ACA insurance is nothing more than political BS!

I worked out, when I first came from the UK, that my mandatory deductions (all government-required deductions from my gross salary) amounted to about 35%. In the US, if I include health insurance and HSA contributions as a "mandatory" deduction, it drops (current figure) to about 30% (was only about 25% like-for-like when I moved over - the percentage has increased over the years as more of my income is taxed higher rates). In other words, your neighbour is right - you pay more in taxes to enjoy your "free" healthcare.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 19th 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Live in NYC suburbs, work in the city. My deductions amount to 35% of gross, but as well as tax, disability, 401k etc that includes voluntary deductions such as funding my commuter benefits card.

I am in a high-tax state and my salary and therefore income tax rate is on the high side. We also take no deductions from our withholding. This does mean we give Uncle Sam an interest-free loan each paycheck, but we'd rather get a refund than find we're on the hook to the IRS for a few $$ more this time of year.

If you budget to expect 30-35% in deductions you shouldn't go too far wrong.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

They were laughing about this very clip on the radio yesterday morning
Of course for all we know they talked to, but didn't show, dozens of people who know that Obamacare is the ACA...

...though sadly, I doubt it.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
... we'd rather get a refund than find we're on the hook to the IRS for a few $$ more this time of year.
I'd rather end up owing the IRS as much as possible without penalties and make them wait until April for the money ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.