Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paypal to transfer funds?

Paypal to transfer funds?

Old Jul 4th 2004, 11:02 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Paypal to transfer funds?

Has anyone used Paypal to transfer funds between their US and UK checking accounts, and what were the incurred costs like compared to wire transfers?
What were your experiences?

I'm trying to figure out a cost effective way to move money back to the UK when needed, that doesn't result in a $30 fee for each transaction.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

This is a good question. I shall be moving back to the UK and my ex-to-be will need to send me child support each month.

Which is th ebest way for him to do this?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:36 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

just use www.xe.com

no costs involved
Old Jul 5th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
just use www.xe.com

no costs involved
So if there are no costs - how do they make a profit?

How would it work? Could he send it as pounds directly to my UK account?
Old Jul 5th 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

britchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Paypal to transfer funds?

Originally posted by nathan barley
Has anyone used Paypal to transfer funds between their US and UK checking accounts, and what were the incurred costs like compared to wire transfers?

I'm trying to figure out a cost effective way to move money back to the UK when needed, that doesn't result in a $30 fee for each transaction.

Paypal won't actually let you have two accounts in different countries, trust me I tried.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:36 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by britchick95
Paypal won't actually let you have two accounts in different countries, trust me I tried.
You can and I have.

All you have to do is open an account for your US bank under paypal.com

Then open a second account for your UK bank under paypal.co.uk

You will need two different e-mail addresses, one for each account.

I use it to transfer funds as well as ordering from my site and using eBay.

xe.com is free though. I checked it out after it was mentioned in another post. May give them a go soon.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:13 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
just use www.xe.com

no costs involved
XE charges for wire transfers (about $18). Bankers Drafts are free.

Anyway, to the other poster, my wife has a Paypal US account, and I just set up a UK account using my UK switch card.

This should let me pay off my overdraft, without getting shafted on fees for wire transfers. I'm not sure if I could just mail a bankers draft or regular check to my bank (HSBC UK), and request they deposit it for me, I don't know if they'd do that without someone present to deposit it.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:20 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I have been transferring money between USA and UK with Paypal for 8 months and it costs relatively little and has been very reliable. Only problem is that they just wrote to me and the cumulative amount of what I have transferred now exceeds £5000 and the want to verify my UK account. They wanted to call me at home in London but of course I am not there so I am going to have to call them and sort this out. I presume this is a security measure to stamp out money laundering. I find using Paypal quite awkward, and at first found it rather difficult to understand. It's quite a rigid system and is not explained very well. However, once you've figured it out it works very well. I couldn't have done without it.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

britchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud ofbritchick95 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nathan barley

You can as long as you have an actual residence in the UK, but my parents live here, not there anymore, and I asked Paypal how to go about doing it so you can set up a bank account in the UK from the US and they said that you couldn't. But that was last year, maybe it has changed now, hopefully it has!!!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

So am I right in thinking that my ex-to-be could send me child support as $'s to my UK Paypal account and then could I transfer the monies out of Paypal as pounds into my UK bank account?

In regards to bankers drafts - would he need to physically go to his U.S. bank each month and buy an international bankers draft and then post it to me? - is this how it would work?

I know I sound pretty naive about sending money but I've not really had much of a need to do it the whole time I've been here.

What would be the best, least costly to send a regular monthly payment to the UK in dollars that then needs to be converted to pounds?? Any help would be really appreciated as I need to make sure that this is in place before I leave.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by britchick95
You can as long as you have an actual residence in the UK, but my parents live here, not there anymore, and I asked Paypal how to go about doing it so you can set up a bank account in the UK from the US and they said that you couldn't. But that was last year, maybe it has changed now, hopefully it has!!!
Have you thought about having a UK offshore bank account say through HSBC etc??? Maybe you could transfer funds to it and then pay your bills from it as well.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:46 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
So am I right in thinking that my ex-to-be could send me child support as $'s to my UK Paypal account and then could I transfer the monies out of Paypal as pounds into my UK bank account?

In regards to bankers drafts - would he need to physically go to his U.S. bank each month and buy an international bankers draft and then post it to me? - is this how it would work?

I know I sound pretty naive about sending money but I've not really had much of a need to do it the whole time I've been here.

What would be the best, least costly to send a regular monthly payment to the UK in dollars that then needs to be converted to pounds?? Any help would be really appreciated as I need to make sure that this is in place before I leave.
He wouldn't even have to send it as dollars. He just sends it as pounds and they convert it automatically. You can see how much you're sending when you send it in UK and US funds. You just need to open two different accounts with a different bank account for each.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
He wouldn't even have to send it as dollars. He just sends it as pounds and they convert it automatically. You can see how much you're sending when you send it in UK and US funds. You just need to open two different accounts with a different bank account for each.

He can set up his own account here in the U.S. and I can set up my UK account so that's not a problem.

The problem is that we have agreed on a dollar amount and this is what he wants to send. I know he will not be happy if I tell him that each month he has to convert it before sending. Can he just put in the dollar amount and tell Paypal to send it as pounds?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:08 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Can he just put in the dollar amount and tell Paypal to send it as pounds?
Yes
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much - this will solve a big issue.

So I just want to make sure that Paypal is completley free then for him to send and for me to recieve??

Last edited by bromleygirl; Jul 6th 2004 at 12:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.