Reload this Page >

PayPal Smart Connect is a scam?

PayPal Smart Connect is a scam?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough
Default PayPal Smart Connect is a scam?

Hi all.

I've had this PayPal situation arrise which is a bit worrying.

I buy the odd thing or two using PayPal, which I thought was a safe way to pay for products on line.

Today I received a load of paperwork from PP telling me I've now got an account number, and that somehow I've arrived at a point where I've 'agreed' to a PP Smart Connect plan where the interest rate is 29%!

I see from checking on line that another PP user has had the same thing happen to him, and the people he has to deal with to try and cancel this is GE Money Bank. I've got the same correspondence as him, with GE Money Bank written all over it, and I like that other person intend to contact them to say I didnt request this, and tell them to cancel it.

Anybody else had any problems like this, that can offer any advice?

Pete.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PayPal Smart Connect is a scam?

Hasn't happened to me.

Are you sure this isn't just another variant of the standard credit card junk mail that tells you that you are "already approved" (subject to hundreds of caveats and conditions) for a credit card, but you haven't really been approved for anything ...
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I use paypal a lot I've never heard of it. It sounds scammy to me. Have you called or emailed paypal using the website and asked them about it?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

PayPal Smart Connect is real - it's just a credit card through GE that you can only use with PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...kt_faq-outside
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

This link might help ...

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...ct/td-p/337206
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

PayPal have lost my confidence now. Last week somebody charged $30 on my wifes account, an account that has only been logged into once and one transaction made. They did credit it back within a day but they didn't seem concerned that it happened and started out basically assuming we had made the charge and were trying to scam them.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
PayPal Smart Connect is real - it's just a credit card through GE that you can only use with PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...kt_faq-outside
I believe its for real too, and I did nothing that I'm aware of to be in possesion of this crap! All of the paperwork I've received says I have a zero balance at the moment, and I dont owe them any money! I just want to use PP for the occasional minimal transaction, which wouldnt involve a lot of money.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Paypal are just crap and a scam, once you get past that, they're much easier to avoid using.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Understood Bob, but what other suposedly safe ways are there to pay by credit card over the internet?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peteusa
Understood Bob, but what other suposedly safe ways are there to pay by credit card over the internet?
google check out....or use a gift card that you can toss after using on a ebay type site....
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bob
google check out....or use a gift card that you can toss after using on a ebay type site....
or Amazon check out....basically, anything but Paypal.

http://thegreengeeks.wordpress.com/2...-own-policies/

To make Paypal seem even shitter, for the lol :/
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Having googled 'Paypal Smart Collect scam' on the internet, it would appear that no end of people have received the same paperwork, and they like me never asked for this system, which offers me a $2,000 credit limit! I dont owe them any money, and all I've used Paypal for is to buy the odd thing or two like CD's or DVD's. I have used PP for no other purpose. I dont spend enough that they, or the GE Bank thats behind this (according to the paperwork) would make a lot of money out of me.

I believe all the documentation to be genuine since theres a Customer Service Number I can call which announces itself as Paypal. This automated system says "for your security and convenience, I've matched your account with your phone number, now for your security and convenience, please enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number" Needless to say, I hung up then, but how could they know my phone number when I have a blocked line?

Could anybody please explain how I totally finish with Paypal? I dont see anywhere on their website about how to terminate my assciation with them. I dont owe them anything, they dont owe me anything. I just want to get shot of them!

Thanks

Pete
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

... but how could they know my phone number when I have a blocked line?
I assume that the customer service line that you were calling was an "800" number.

Your phone number is not blocked when you call an 800 number (because the other party is paying and that means they get to know who you are) or, for that matter, 911 ...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
I assume that the customer service line that you were calling was an "800" number.

Your phone number is not blocked when you call an 800 number (because the other party is paying and that means they get to know who you are) or, for that matter, 911 ...
The customer service number was 1-866-571-302 which I assume falls under the '800 number' catagory. Still not happy to give the last four numbers of my SSN to an automated machine, but I suppose somewhere in the past, they might have already obtained that from me.

Any advice on getting shot of them the proper way?

Pete
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Any advice on getting shot of them the proper way?
Just ignore them.

Anything that you do at this stage is likely to just encourage them to send you more junk mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.