Reload this Page >

Payment of Fees

Payment of Fees

Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Payment of Fees

Hi

I have to pay some fees pending my move over next year in $ (no need to worry about what these are) however, they are not willing to accept a bank transfer and want a cheque.

I need to get onto my bank tomorrow but can anyone think of any other ideas. I.e. it's a big amount and I'm worried my bank (halifax) are going to screw me with a rubbish FX rate.

Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Payment of Fees

Do you know someone in the US you can send the money to and have them write a cheque or as they are in the US a check
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Do you know someone in the US you can send the money to and have them write a cheque or as they are in the US a check
Could get Halifax just to write a US cheque, but still likely to get a bit of a poo rate, unless able to use XE, but for a one off that isn't his account, could he do that with a friends?

Anyway, what kind of mickey mouse outfit would rather a cheque over a bank transfer?

Offer to load up a visa debit card and Fedex that over?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:35 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid sending a UK check to a US organization. The likelyhood is that it will need to be returned to the UK for clearing (at your expense) and this can take literally weeks to complete.

Definitely use a US check if possible!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point

So checked with my bank and the FX rate is horrid. The payment it about $1,000, and a similar one will be payable in the next month or so (you see why I dont want to just throw away a few hundred dollars).

I am going to put my foot down and make this guy take a bank transfer. Then can just use XE!

Ta
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I would avoid sending a UK check to a US organization. The likelyhood is that it will need to be returned to the UK for clearing (at your expense) and this can take literally weeks to complete.

Definitely use a US check if possible!
The bank can write a "certified", US cheque though. Probably costs a few squid and you might have to ask a supervisor to do it as the teller might not know.