British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Paying UK NHS without a UK bank acct. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/paying-uk-nhs-without-uk-bank-acct-926750/)

AmeriBrit72 Jul 28th 2019 12:30 am

Paying UK NHS without a UK bank acct.

Hi all,

Not it sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone has ever received a bill from the NHS as a non resident British citizen. The option on the invoice is to send payment by BACS or cheque, but what if you don't have a UK bank, how can the payment be made?

TIA

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 28th 2019 3:39 am

Re: Paying UK NHS without a UK bank acct.

Do it by BACS.

durham_lad Jul 28th 2019 7:58 am

You could use something like Transferwise to send the money from your US bank directly to the UK bank listed in the BACS details, or just pay a little extra and pay it directly using your US bank.

AmeriBrit72 Jul 28th 2019 5:33 pm

Thank you for the replies, I will look into transferwise.

MMcD Jul 28th 2019 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriBrit72 (Post 12715889)
Hi all,

Not it sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone has ever received a bill from the NHS as a non resident British citizen. The option on the invoice is to send payment by BACS or cheque, but what if you don't have a UK bank, how can the payment be made?TIA

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12715963)
You could use something like Transferwise to send the money from your US bank directly to the UK bank listed in the BACS details

Be sure you open what Transferwise call a "Borderless Account"
I believe that's the only way you'll be able to make a BACS payment from the US if you don't have an actual UK bank.

durham_lad Jul 29th 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12716096)
Be sure you open what Transferwise call a "Borderless Account"
I believe that's the only way you'll be able to make a BACS payment from the US if you don't have an actual UK bank.

Not sure this is correct, I have sent money directly to bank accounts in Ireland and Australia that are not my own using XE.com, and I would have thought that Transferwise also does not insist that the money you send is only to one of your own bank accounts. Worth asking them first I expect.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/how...nsferwise-work

“Tell us who you’re sending the money to, along with their local bank details. You can send money to yourself, someone else, or a business, depending on the country.

Your recipient doesn’t need a TransferWise account to get their money. Just a bank account.

MidAtlantic Jul 29th 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12716360)

Not sure this is correct, I have sent money directly to bank accounts in Ireland and Australia that are not my own using XE.com, and I would have thought that Transferwise also does not insist that the money you send is only to one of your own bank accounts. Worth asking them first I expect.

“Tell us who you’re sending the money to, along with their local bank details. You can send money to yourself, someone else, or a business, depending on the country.

Your recipient doesn’t need a TransferWise account to get their money. Just a bank account.

I agree. You can send direct with Transferwise using their money transfer service, without going through a Borderless Account.

MMcD Jul 29th 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12716360)

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12716391)
I agree. You can send direct with Transferwise using their money transfer service, without going through a Borderless Account.

OP said he was required to send payment as a BACS transmission (or a cheque).
My point was only that BACS payments are restricted to interbank transmissions within the UK. They are much like EFTs in the States. That being the case - I bellieve OP's funds would need to "originate" at a UK bank for a payment to be made in this manner. I never said a Borderless Account was required to send payments internationally.

I just called TransferWise to confirm. They told me the following:
1. I'm absolutely correct re BACS
2. Currently however, TransferWise are only able to receive BACS payments, not to send them !
3. Instead, Transferwise use either CHAPS or FPS (Faster Payments Service)
4. In most cases (but not always)...if an entity( eg the NHS) is set up to receive BACS transmissions - they'll also be able to receive FPS, but the OP should probably check if that's the case.
5.OP won't need to open a Borderless Account

durham_lad Jul 29th 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12715963)
You could use something like Transferwise to send the money from your US bank directly to the UK bank listed in the BACS details, or just pay a little extra and pay it directly using your US bank.

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12716437)

OP said he was required to send payment as a BACS transmission (or a cheque).
My point was only that BACS payments are restricted to interbank transmissions within the UK. They are much like EFTs in the States. That being the case - I bellieve OP's funds would need to "originate" at a UK bank for a payment to be made in this manner. I never said a Borderless Account was required to send payments internationally.

I just called TransferWise to confirm. They told me the following:
1. I'm absolutely correct re BACS
2. Currently however, TransferWise are only able to receive BACS payments, not to send them !
3. Instead, Transferwise use either CHAPS or FPS (Faster Payments Service)
4. In most cases (but not always)...if an entity( eg the NHS) is set up to receive BACS transmissions - they'll also be able to receive FPS, but the OP should probably check if that's the case.
5.OP won't need to open a Borderless Account

I should have clearer in my post when I said to send the money to the bank "listed in the BACS details", I didn't mean that Transferwise used BACS. Thanks for going the extra mile in contacting Transferwise to confirm that this can be done.

thinbrit Jul 31st 2019 9:41 pm

Check the requirements for the memo field for the NHS, if you are required to use that to detail to which account the funds aught to be deposited to. I opened a couple of accounts with currency exchange sites only to find the memo field they offered was not long enough to satisfy the NI contributions. I finally found OFX and have been using them ever since

https://www.ofx.com/en-us/