Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying UK Credit Card bills from the US

Paying UK Credit Card bills from the US

Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:58 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold
Default Paying UK Credit Card bills from the US

howdy, howdy...

forgive me for starting a new post for something that has almost certainly been discussed in the past... also, i note the huge long 5 page+ posting about money transfers between the UK and US... forgive me for not trawling through that to see if the answer is in there somewhere...

my question is this: what would be the best way to pay my UK Barclaycard bill each month using funds from the US?

I do have a UK current account (also with Barclays), but there is not enough in it to cover the remainder of the balance (and to be honest occasionally i still use my card in the US, thereby adding to my Barclaycard bill).

Originally I thought that transferring money from here to my UK bank account then paying the credit card bill online was the way to go, but the bank i was going to use want $60 per transfer, regardless of amount.

i'm sure i read on here recently that Barclays accept US cheques as payment.

Obviously this is a bad time to be thinking about money going from US to UK, what with the exchange rate and all, but in a few months time when my account in the UK is almost cleared out i'm going to need to find a way to get money over there to pay my credit card bill.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

All the best
Gary Baker
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:34 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Use Paypal. That's what I do. I have transferred money from here to my UK account with no fee (anything over $50). The rules have changed recently and I'm hoping that's still possible, although Paypal can be a little inflexible when trying to register details from both countries. Worth a try though. www.paypal.com I just transferred funds into my UK bank and then set up direct debits from there to pay my credit cards.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying UK Credit Card bills from the US

Originally posted by GJB
howdy, howdy...

forgive me for starting a new post for something that has almost certainly been discussed in the past... .

i'm sure i read on here recently that Barclays accept US cheques as payment.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

All the best
Gary Baker
Yes, I said it at least twice, but that's the nature of the board, things come around again.

Just get your calculator out and figure out (roughly) the US dollar amount for whatever sterling amount you want to pay. Write a US check drawn on a US bank made out in US dollars and send it to Barclaycard. I've been doing it for about 10 years or so.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

BE CAREFUL with Paypal. I used to do the same thing but the rules have changed now and you would now be in violation of their cash advance rules
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice

Originally posted by dunroving
Yes, I said it at least twice, but that's the nature of the board, things come around again.

Just get your calculator out and figure out (roughly) the US dollar amount for whatever sterling amount you want to pay. Write a US check drawn on a US bank made out in US dollars and send it to Barclaycard. I've been doing it for about 10 years or so.

Hello there,

Is it really possible to write a US cheque out for the equivalent UK sterling amount and send it to Barclaycard? I can't see anything on their website...
Be great if it works - you say you've been doing it for years?

Thanks,
Marguerite
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
Hello there,

Is it really possible to write a US cheque out for the equivalent UK sterling amount and send it to Barclaycard? I can't see anything on their website...
Be great if it works - you say you've been doing it for years?

Thanks,
Marguerite
Yes. Just do it, then you'll see. Really. I'm not kidding. Just put a US check in your Air Mail Barclaycard envelope and put it in the mail. They'll take it, and give you a decent exchange rate.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:31 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to do that with a Royal Bank of Scotland credit card, i.e. send a US check in US$, and they'd convert it to UK pounds. It does work! Give it about a week for the mail to reach the UK, and double the number of pounds to approximate the dollar amount (exchange rate is teh suck at the moment).

p22
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice

OK I'll try it. See what happens - thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2004, 5:47 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
OK I'll try it. See what happens - thanks!

dunroving, does the bank levy any charges for the non-UK cheque. I called my bank Lloyds TSB and they confirmed they accept US cheques. Forgot to ask if there is a charge.

They even agreed to change my billing address to the US, but there is no advantage for that unless you want to use the card in the US if you've got no credit options.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have changed my UK cc's to my US address

So I get the statements, they might as well come here.
For ordering off the web

I have cash in my UK account, but when I have friends and familay come over they can pay into my UK account and they get the dollars fromme, all at the mid market rate no transactional costs so everybody wins.

Suppose it is just another form of battering
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:20 am
Ping-ponger

Originally posted by Gross50
dunroving, does the bank levy any charges for the non-UK cheque. I called my bank Lloyds TSB and they confirmed they accept US cheques. Forgot to ask if there is a charge.

They even agreed to change my billing address to the US, but there is no advantage for that unless you want to use the card in the US if you've got no credit options.
No extra charge, at least frrom Barclaycard.

For the last time - there's no catch, no hidden expense, no exorbitant exchange rate, and it really does work! I wish people would just try it and stop asking whether it really works, etc.!