Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying to ship our belongings to LA…! Your experiences?

Wikiposts

Paying to ship our belongings to LA…! Your experiences?

Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying to ship our belongings to LA…! Your experiences?

Originally Posted by LaurieHK
Hi all,

For those of you that have sorted your own shipping to the US, can I have a little bit of advice please?

We are planning on selling all of our furniture and electronics before we move to LA at the end of summer. We will therefore only be moving our belongings (clothes etc). I have given a rough idea of the items we’ll be moving below.

Has anyone had any experience of moving a similar volume of stuff?
Who did you use and if you don’t mind me asking, do you remember roughly what it cost you?
We will be paying for it ourselves and we will be in no rush to have it delivered. (We’re looking for the cheapest option)
I am also happy to do the packing myself if people have found that this can make a difference to the cost?

Items:
Clothing and shoes for 2 people (4m of wardrobe space).
5 big framed pictures.
Kitchen utensils, crockery (8 sets) and glasses (40).
About 50 books.
10 vases and about 8 other ornaments.
Skiing/snowboarding equipment for 3 people.
About 8 sets of bed linen.
10 sets of towels
4 duvets and 13 pillows.
one tool box
one flat screen computer monitor.
1 CD player.
2 big filing cabinets worth of paperwork.

Thank you all in advance for your help, it’s really very much appreciated.

Laurie
You are bringing so little, is it really worth shipping it? Everything there could easily be bought here, bring the computer, important papers and clothes as luggage. You could then work out if it's cost effective to send the skiing equipment by air. Ozzidoc had some good info: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=air+freight
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's probably the handling fee. We have had members whose shipping company have tried to charge them for the customs inspection when there wasn't one.
It can be expensive if you have a full container...I forget how much people have said they've been charged.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You are bringing so little, is it really worth shipping it? Everything there could easily be bought here, bring the computer, important papers and clothes as luggage. You could then work out if it's cost effective to send the skiing equipment by air. Ozzidoc had some good info: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=air+freight
That's in the Wiki...I pointed Laurie in that direction earlier in the thread.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

LaurieHK will become famous soon enoughLaurieHK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It’s a real tough one. Literally everything we want to ship (apart from the clothes and the ski gear) was given to us as wedding gifts (a year and half ago). It’s all very nice stuff and means too much to us to simply get rid. If some of the quotes come back at around £1000 for the shipping, then we’ll be happy to pay that in order to not have to get rid of everything! It’s silly really, we should have thought about it when we got married (we’ve always known we would move somewhere else after Zurich). You live, you learn - I guess!

Ozzidoc’s wiki page has been invaluable - i’ve applied to the people she mentions for shipping quotes! Fingers crossed it’s not extortionate!

Thanks

Laurie
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:04 am
Just Joined

owls_79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I recently made the move from Basel to NJ. I didn't have as much stuff as you and managed to bring most stuff with me on the flight (using an upgrade voucher for a business class flight allowing 3 suitcases up to 50lbs). I've still left some things with friends and will have them shipped to me by post. Have you looked at the cost to ship items by the swisspost? Depending on the weight and dimensions, this can be relatively inexpensive. You can use their calculator to workout the costs of shipping this way here and compare to any quotes you receive from shipping companies.

Hope it helps
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

It can be expensive if you have a full container...I forget how much people have said they've been charged.
I’m glad we don’t have a containers worth!!! I’m hoping we can share a container with a few other people and then I guess the customs charge should hopefully be similar to GeoffM’s! Fingers crossed!

-Laurie
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I’m glad we don’t have a containers worth!!! I’m hoping we can share a container with a few other people and then I guess the customs charge should hopefully be similar to GeoffM’s! Fingers crossed!

-Laurie
That's where the bigger scams come from, because you don't know who or what brought on the inspection and how they split up the cost between who shared the container compared to if you had the container to yourself.

You do need to find out who is contracted on the local US end because it won't be the company on your end and if they're vague, avoid. With a definite name, you can check the outfit out against the scam moving site.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by owls_79
Hi,

I recently made the move from Basel to NJ. I didn't have as much stuff as you and managed to bring most stuff with me on the flight (using an upgrade voucher for a business class flight allowing 3 suitcases up to 50lbs). I've still left some things with friends and will have them shipped to me by post. Have you looked at the cost to ship items by the swisspost? Depending on the weight and dimensions, this can be relatively inexpensive. You can use their calculator to workout the costs of shipping this way here and compare to any quotes you receive from shipping companies.

Hope it helps
Hi there,

Amazingly helpful! Thank you

I hadn't even thought to look at SwissPost, as I just assumed it would be mega pricey. Will have a look at your link and see if that could work for us. Thanks so much

On a side note, when you moved from Basel, did you have a Swiss driving licence? I’m wondering if it’s going to cause problems when we try to get our Californian licences!

Thanks!

Laurie
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
That's where the bigger scams come from, because you don't know who or what brought on the inspection and how they split up the cost between who shared the container compared to if you had the container to yourself.

You do need to find out who is contracted on the local US end because it won't be the company on your end and if they're vague, avoid. With a definite name, you can check the outfit out against the scam moving site.
I see, that’s pretty underhand, and not the greatest welcome to a new country! I’ll definitely find out who the US carrier is before I agree to anything in that case. Thanks! We simply won’t be able to afford to be scammed, but i’m not sure they’ll accept that as an excuse

Cheers,

Laurie
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Amazingly helpful! Thank you

I hadn't even thought to look at SwissPost, as I just assumed it would be mega pricey. Will have a look at your link and see if that could work for us. Thanks so much

On a side note, when you moved from Basel, did you have a Swiss driving licence? I’m wondering if it’s going to cause problems when we try to get our Californian licences!

Thanks!

Laurie
No use asking someone who lives in NJ about anything to do with driving in Cali. Each state has it's own rules and regs. Best bet is to take a look at the website of the DMV, California. Even if you have to take a practical test as well as a written one...you will find it very easy. You only have to see the standard of driving to know that.

For instance...when my daughter was 17 her driving test was in an empty car park. Lasted all of 5 mins...she had to drive forward for a few hundred yards...then reverse back between 2 cones placed about 50 ft apart. When one of our member's daughter took her test she went through a red light and still passed...Illinois I think. She wrote her car off within a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 17th 2012 at 9:24 am.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

No use asking someone who lives in NJ about anything to do with driving in Cali. Each state has it's own rules and regs. Best bet is to take a look at the website of the DMV, California. Even if you have to take a practical test as well as a written one...you will find it very easy. You only have to see the standard of driving to know that.
Haha! That made me smile.

Thanks for the advice, i’ll search out the DMV website when I get a chance!

Oh, now that sounds like my kind of driving test!

-Laurie
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Haha! That made me smile.

Thanks for the advice, i’ll search out the DMV website when I get a chance!

Oh, now that sounds like my kind of driving test!

-Laurie
I've edited a bit onto my previous post.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

When one of our member's daughter took her test she went through a red light and still passed...Illinois I think. She wrote her car off within a couple of weeks.

Wow. Maybe I don’t need to be in such a panic about the test then…and breathe.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It won't make a shit of a difference. You'll do a test from scratch and be treated like any other spotty 15 year old.

Only difference being able to drive on your foreign license until you take the test. Though if the Swiss license isn't in English, this might be worth getting a IDP.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow. Maybe I don’t need to be in such a panic about the test then…and breathe.
Check with the DMV...it should tell you how long you are allowed to drive on a foreign DL. Although you may want to get a Cali DL sooner rather than later as it should reduce the insurance premiums. The driving test is nothing to lose sleep about.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

In California you are supposed to get a CA license within 10 days. However, you can't get a license until you get a social security number (or an exemption). You can't get a SS number for a couple of weeks usually, which means it's virtually impossible to get the license in time! So long as you pass the written test within a couple of weeks of getting a SS, you should be okay. You then have up to 90 days to take the behind-the-wheel test. See other threads about the driving test for experiences, and for getting the correct interim license - some DMVs give you a learner permit instead of a temporary full license because they don't understand that full foreign licenses are grounds for doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.