Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying for Rentals

Paying for Rentals

Old Jul 29th 2003, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Ketchell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying for Rentals

My wife and I are travelling in the USA from early September through to March 2004. Can anyone advise us on the cheapest way to pay for our property rental during our stay. What is most acceptable with landlords? [We cant open any US checking accounts because we are traveling on tourism visas and not entitled to obtain SSN's.]

Thanks for any help,

JK
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:05 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

You can open a UK Citibank account and they will offer you a US Dollar account, complete with a check book that clears in New York. You will also get a US cash card but you can only use it at ATM's.
Bank of America do not require a SSN and I opened the account whilst still on a tourist visa - they didn't ask! Although it took a little while for the card to arrive. So I would stick to Citibank.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03 ..... Bank of America do not require a SSN and I opened the account whilst still on a tourist visa - they didn't ask! ...
I bet that was in 2002 or earlier.

The law on opening bank accounts has tightened significantly with the recent implementation of some sections of the USA PATRIOT Act. I would be very surprised if it is now possible to just walk into a bank and open an account without a SS number.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:45 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

About 10 weeks ago, 11 at a push.

That was for a current/checking account.

Washington Mutual are the same except that they will only give you a savings account with a card with ATM use only!

The regulations are not that tight.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scotch03
About 10 weeks ago, 11 at a push.

That was for a current/checking account.

Washington Mutual are the same except that they will only give you a savings account with a card with ATM use only!

The regulations are not that tight.
The regs might have been introduced as recently as May, but if a bank is opening accounts without "adequate" (per PATRIOT ACT rules) documentation they'd better have a d@mn good explanation when the OCC inspectors come to do their audit.

I would not recommend that anyone without a SS number, or at very least an immigration visa, relies on being able to open an account if they arrive in the US today.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:18 pm
Up Yir Kilt

Exactly - hence Citibank is a good option for those still in the UK.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:17 pm

Originally posted by scotch03
Exactly - hence Citibank is a good option for those still in the UK.
However somebody here, who had (or went to open) a Citibank account reported that even Citibank said that there was no guarantee that their checks would clear in the same way as a US check. The checks are identifiable as originating outside the US and consequently can become both costly and time consuming to collect - and therefore not necessarily acceptable to a landlord.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 10:59 pm
Up Yir Kilt

The checks are US Dollar with a New York address and are cashed at Citibank New York. I have never had a problem personally.
The US Dollar account was in reality established for Business users who work in the US but live in the UK. I am confident that if there was a problem then Citibank would not have such a sound business anglo/american customer base.

This can go on forever! LOL
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Ketchell is an unknown quantity at this point

As always, thanks everyone for the advice.

Citibank indeed do offer the service to UK citizens. Their application process explains more clearly how they overcome tax related issues:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the purpose of correctly determining your tax status, please tick the box that correctly describes your status:

I represent and warrant that I am a US person (a US citizen, green card holder or resident in the US for 183 days or more in a calendar year) for the purposes of US Federal income Tax . I understand that I must also complete form W-9, which you will send me when you have received my application form.

or

I represent and warrant that I am not a US person for the purposes of US Federal Income Tax and that I am not acting for, or on behalf of, a US person. I understand that a false statement or misrepresentation of tax statement by a US person could lead to penalties under US law. If my tax status changes and I become a US citizen or resident, I understand that I must notify you within 30 days.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As already stated, they allow you to have a dollar cash card and cheque book that draws on their New York branch. I've already applied for an account. Seems to be the ideal solution for our needs.

Thanks again for the advice, it really helped.

JK
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for Rentals

Originally posted by Ketchell
My wife and I are travelling in the USA from early September through to March 2004. Can anyone advise us on the cheapest way to pay for our property rental during our stay. What is most acceptable with landlords? [We cant open any US checking accounts because we are traveling on tourism visas and not entitled to obtain SSN's.]

Thanks for any help,

JK
Obviously States vary, A friend of our was here (Florida) on a weeks vacation just last week and opened a Bank Account with no problem. You could always just use travellers chqs.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Paying for Rentals

3 years ago I could not open an account with Bank of America without a SSN, haven't tried recently. But other banks won't let me open an account. If you have cash available, put it on your visa card so you are in credit and draw cash off that. You will probably have a fee each time you do it though
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

I opened a Washington Mutual free checking account in San Jose at the end of May (2003). No SSN, no problem - passport was fine, even on a visa waiver. I did have the offer letter from my employer detailing my position and salary in the US, so that may have made things easier.

We now have checks, ATM cards, electronic bill payment - the whole schmeer.

Cheers,

Pat