Reload this Page >

paying rent help

paying rent help

Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

hannahc16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default paying rent help

hello,

we are having issues with our managing agent and paying out rent.

so basically we have the account name, acc number and routing number and we know what bank they use.

Now we aren't able to do bill pay because the managing agent wont provide us with the Landlords address so therefore we cant get the check to them. They have told us we can write up a manual check and take it to there bank which isn't a problem its just the closet one is a 40 minute drive away.

We can use a wire transfer which we have done a few times but we get charged a fee of $30 everytime and our rent isn't cheap as it is.

Is there any other options anyone can suggest, the managing agent is very difficult and quite rude to us all the time when we try to communicate with them to come to a solution so I just wondered if anyone else knew of any other way.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: paying rent help

I take it the managing agent doesn't have a secure website where you can make an online payment directly to them (i.e. not bill pay through your bank, but directly on the management website)?

Can you not do a bill pay to the address of the managing agent, who can then transfer to the landlord?

Sorry, I don't personally have experience, just throwing out some ideas.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's time to track down the owner via public records and let them know how much of a pain the agent is to work with and that it could cost him/her business!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Are online bank transfers not free?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aless02
Are online bank transfers not free?
No for us. There is a charge from our Canadian bank to our US bank and there is charge from NY bank to my MS bank.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you in the US or the UK? My management company in NY did not accept online bank payment until a year before I moved (last June). It was send a check to them, which they deposited and marked my rent as paid.

Can't you just send them a check?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
hello,

so basically we have the account name, acc number and routing number and we know what bank they use.

Now we aren't able to do bill pay because the managing agent wont provide us with the Landlords address so therefore we cant get the check to them. .....
Property records are public documents, so if you go to your local county council records website you should be able to look up the home you are renting and it is likely that the property shows the address of your landlord.

Just out of curiosity, what we you told about paying your rent when you signed your lease?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you in the US or the UK? My management company in NY did not accept online bank payment until a year before I moved (last June). It was send a check to them, which they deposited and marked my rent as paid.

Can't you just send them a check?
That was my thought. Write a check, mail it to them? The cost of a first class stamp, rather than thirty dollars? Easier, too.

Edited to add; I now see that's why you want their mailing address. Sorry!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OP which bank are you with?

Wire transfers generally do incur a fee, but ACH payments don't. Why don't you ask about doing this? It's basically a direct debit from your account.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
That was my thought. Write a check, mail it to them? The cost of a first class stamp, rather than thirty dollars? Easier, too.

Edited to add; I now see that's why you want their mailing address. Sorry!
Her lease should indicate where and how rent is to be paid. If the check is not to be given to the manager or the management company (mine was sent/given to the management company for over 40 years), it should spell out where to pay said rent.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 12:51 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

In many (most?) jurisdictions the landlord is required to provide a mailing address for legal notices etc. Of course, the landlord can probably elect to use the managing agents address for that. Absent any other specific provisions in the lease, that really ought to suffice. So why not mail a check there.

OTOH, electronic payment might be more convenient for you. Just don't use a wire transfer since they almost always incur bank fees. Ask your bank about ACH transfers which are generally free.

Last edited by malch; Jun 29th 2017 at 12:54 am.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Seems like the OP has enough information to do an ACH transfer.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what State you are in, but your lease agreement should give an address on where to send the money, send notice etc. If it does not, it may not be a legal lease, depending on State. Which may be in your favor if he tries to evict you for non payment of rent.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
hello,

Now we aren't able to do bill pay because the managing agent wont provide us with the Landlords address so therefore we cant get the check to them. They have told us we can write up a manual check and take it to there bank which isn't a problem its just the closet one is a 40 minute drive away.

We can use a wire transfer which we have done a few times but we get charged a fee of $30 everytime and our rent isn't cheap as it is.

Is there any other options anyone can suggest, the managing agent is very difficult and quite rude to us all the time when we try to communicate with them to come to a solution so I just wondered if anyone else knew of any other way.
If you can drive to their bank with a manual check why can't it be mailed? Does this mean you have to drive to the bank and deposit a check made out to cash? Could the check be made out to the landlord with the account number in the memo field and/or on the back write "Deposit to account only", and if so then mailing should be safe.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Wells Fargo has finally come out of the dark ages somewhat and now allows you to transfer money to someone using their phone number or email address associated with that account. They click on the link in a text or in an email to accept the money.

I don't know what limits apply but we just used it and it didn't cost anything to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.