Reload this Page >

Paying Rent In Advance To Let Without A Job

Paying Rent In Advance To Let Without A Job

Old May 22nd 2013, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

jetgirl13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying Rent In Advance To Let Without A Job

Hello,
In my research I've come across a lot of information about landlords requiring a guarantor if a new tenant has not lined up a job prior to moving to the UK. If I'm able to pay 6 months to a year in advance would they still require a guarantor? Also, would I be able to make the payment by bank transfer from a US bank?

Lastly, I've read a lot of mixed reviews about using an agency to find a flat. It seems to me it might be worth the extra bit of expense for the peace of mind, especially given that I've seen so many warnings of scammers listing properties for let online. Anyone care to share their experience or recommend any agencies? Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Rent In Advance To Let Without A Job

Hi,

We had to pay a year in advance and were able to wire the money from the US. We REALLY wanted our house though!!!!! Some places were 6 months with a guarantor but we signed a year lease so they wanted a year in advance. We did give them names of guarantors but the amount of cash we handed over calmed their fears!!!!

We had a problem though cause we have 4 dogs and wanted to live in London which is basically unheard of. I spoke to an agency who were a little worried about finding a place for us. In the end we walked into a real estate agency that deal with lettings, told them we have dogs and they said "no worries". They let properties in a country estate and the Lord of the manor (yes an actual Lord!!!) actually prefers people to have dogs for the security!!

Good luck!
Old May 28th 2013, 4:25 am
Account Closed

jetgirl13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britwhore
Hi,

We had to pay a year in advance and were able to wire the money from the US. We REALLY wanted our house though!!!!! Some places were 6 months with a guarantor but we signed a year lease so they wanted a year in advance. We did give them names of guarantors but the amount of cash we handed over calmed their fears!!!!

We had a problem though cause we have 4 dogs and wanted to live in London which is basically unheard of. I spoke to an agency who were a little worried about finding a place for us. In the end we walked into a real estate agency that deal with lettings, told them we have dogs and they said "no worries". They let properties in a country estate and the Lord of the manor (yes an actual Lord!!!) actually prefers people to have dogs for the security!!

Good luck!
Thank you for your response! Would you mind sharing the name of the agency you went through?
Old May 30th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

We ended up not going through the agency as they wanted a crap load of money. We just walked into a real estate office in the village we liked and asked.
Old May 30th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I believe sallysimmons went through an agency so you could try contacting her.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
We ended up not going through the agency as they wanted a crap load of money. We just walked into a real estate office in the village we liked and asked.
Agents are really only needed in and around London. Your approach was great, just walk into a local high street real estate shop.