Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying Pension from abroad

Paying Pension from abroad

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:26 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
annifree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
annifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really nice
Smile Paying Pension from abroad

Hi, I'm nearly 43 and have been living in US since '93. I haven't made good financial retirement plans and don't see myself retiring here. I already know there is a possibility that I can make national insurance payments from abroad and can even back date them (I have already found a UK government website and am making calls to find out my eligibility).

My question to the Expat community is this - has anyone on here ever done this and does it make sense if I plan to (probably) go home at some point in the future? (I can't go back now as my US partner is unable to leave or move his 68 year old mom).

Anyone have ideas on how to secure some kind of retirement/security in my older years back home whilst living and working in US? Am I look at this ass-backwards? I'm kind of clueless on this stuff and almost any advise would be of help.

Thank you!
annifree is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:55 pm
  #2  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by annifree View Post
Hi, I'm nearly 43 and have been living in US since '93. I haven't made good financial retirement plans and don't see myself retiring here. I already know there is a possibility that I can make national insurance payments from abroad and can even back date them (I have already found a UK government website and am making calls to find out my eligibility).

My question to the Expat community is this - has anyone on here ever done this and does it make sense if I plan to (probably) go home at some point in the future? (I can't go back now as my US partner is unable to leave or move his 68 year old mom).

Anyone have ideas on how to secure some kind of retirement/security in my older years back home whilst living and working in US? Am I look at this ass-backwards? I'm kind of clueless on this stuff and almost any advise would be of help.

Thank you!
A few years back I checked with
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm

they gave me a forcast and various payment that could be made to up my contribution ..but they did add to hold for a while as the amount of years may change ..and sure enough a year later the max years of contribution was 30 and not the previous 44years .. I had paid that in .. and will get a full pension aged 65
but I would add pay up the years its a bargain
Ray is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:31 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 436
Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
.. and will get a full pension aged 65
That depends on your age now, it's changing. This is from the BBC news website this morning.

The government is to speed up plans to raise the state pension age for men to 66, possibly by as early as 2016.
Zonie is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:32 pm
  #4  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
That depends on your age now, it's changing. This is from the BBC news website this morning.

The government is to speed up plans to raise the state pension age for men to 66, possibly by as early as 2016.
ah you poor bastards
I will be 65 in 2012
Ray is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:32 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 436
Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
ah you poor bastards
I will be 65 in 2012
Congratulations.
Attached Thumbnails Paying Pension from abroad-its.jpg  
Zonie is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:33 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
annifree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
annifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really nice
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
A few years back I checked with
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm

they gave me a forcast and various payment that could be made to up my contribution ..but they did add to hold for a while as the amount of years may change ..and sure enough a year later the max years of contribution was 30 and not the previous 44years .. I had paid that in .. and will get a full pension aged 65
but I would add pay up the years its a bargain
Thanks much for the feedback. I just sent off my forms for a forecast today, so hopefully they will come back as a positive for me to make voluntary payments and for it to be a good payback. I am also presuming that if I get all my payments in order back home, when I eventually return I'll also eligible for other potential benefits, including NHS if I need it. Again, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
annifree is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:43 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 436
Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by annifree View Post
Thanks much for the feedback. I just sent off my forms for a forecast today, so hopefully they will come back as a positive for me to make voluntary payments and for it to be a good payback. I am also presuming that if I get all my payments in order back home, when I eventually return I'll also eligible for other potential benefits, including NHS if I need it. Again, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
As soon as you become resident in the UK, intending to stay, then you are covered by the NHS.

Last edited by Zonie; Jun 24th 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Zonie is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:53 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
annifree's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
annifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really niceannifree is just really nice
Default Re: Paying Pension from abroad

Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
As soon as you become resident in the UK, intending to stay, then you are covered by the NHS.
Thanks Zonie
annifree is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.