British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Paying off a UK loan in the USA.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/paying-off-uk-loan-usa-343248/)

Stephen79 Dec 17th 2005 10:25 am

Paying off a UK loan in the USA....

.... is this possible? I was trying to get an small extension on my current UK loan (so I could propose to my American GF and buy her a ring). I got talking to the woman at the loan call centre who asked me various questions, eg. what I wanted the extra money for, etc etc, so I told her. It was probably a mistake to tell her quite as much as I did, including the fact that I was hoping to move to the USA next year. As a result, I was declined the extra money, the reason being that the bank had no way of tracking me once I was in the USA, which I can fully understand.

Does anyone have any information about USA banks that could transfer payments to a UK bank loan? Or any other information that might be relevant?

I am living in the UK currently but badly want to move to the USA next year but this seems to be a bit of a problem.

I would really appreciate any help or advice on this matter! :) :) :)

Thanks, Stephen.

Ray Dec 17th 2005 11:51 am

Re: Paying off a UK loan in the USA....

Originally Posted by Stephen79
.... is this possible? I was trying to get an small extension on my current UK loan (so I could propose to my American GF and buy her a ring). I got talking to the woman at the loan call centre who asked .

If you are that hard up ..forget the ring.. the cost of getting over here will cost you enough ..

Big D Dec 17th 2005 2:18 pm

.... is this possible? I was trying to get an small extension on my current UK loan (so I could propose to my American GF and buy her a ring). I got talking to the woman at the loan call centre who asked me various questions, eg. what I wanted the extra money for, etc etc, so I told her. It was probably a mistake to tell her quite as much as I did, including the fact that I was hoping to move to the USA next year. As a result, I was declined the extra money, the reason being that the bank had no way of tracking me once I was in the USA, which I can fully understand.

Does anyone have any information about USA banks that could transfer payments to a UK bank loan? Or any other information that might be relevant?

I am living in the UK currently but badly want to move to the USA next year but this seems to be a bit of a problem.

I would really appreciate any help or advice on this matter! :) :) :)

Thanks, Stephen.

Go to another UK bank and dont tell them about moving - then set up DD or internet banking to pay from over here - and make arrangements to send money home. As far as i know there is no way to do what you suggest - the financial systems are totally seperate!

Stephen79 Dec 17th 2005 2:39 pm

Ray - 'If you are that hard up ..forget the ring.. the cost of getting over here will cost you enough ..'

I just wanted to know if what I asked was possible. Assuming that I am hard-up and if I have enough money getting over there is not much of an answer. But Thank you for your curious advice.

Patrick Dec 17th 2005 4:12 pm

Ray - 'If you are that hard up ..forget the ring.. the cost of getting over here will cost you enough ..'

I just wanted to know if what I asked was possible. Assuming that I am hard-up and if I have enough money getting over there is not much of an answer. But Thank you for your curious advice.

Ray is absolutly right, if you want to move over here next year and do it through the correct channels it will cost you close to a 500 pounds then you have the flights over (another couple of hundred quid). And then you may not be able to work for 3 or 4 months depending on how quick you get married and get your ssn sorted out.

If you go via the back door and come in on a VW, then get married and try to stay you may not be able to work for up to 2 years. No income means no pay off the loan!

I think you have a lot more things to think about before you think about buying a ring!

basementwaj Dec 17th 2005 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
Ray is absolutly right, if you want to move over here next year and do it through the correct channels it will cost you close to a 500 pounds then you have the flights over (another couple of hundred quid). And then you may not be able to work for 3 or 4 months depending on how quick you get married and get your ssn sorted out.

If you go via the back door and come in on a VW, then get married and try to stay you may not be able to work for up to 2 years. No income means no pay off the loan!

I think you have a lot more things to think about before you think about buying a ring!

How are you planning to move to the us?? On what kind of visa?? how long are you staying for??

Also, jewelery is cheaper in the states.. so if you get some money order something from the US and send it to blighty, save yourself some money!

Big D Dec 17th 2005 6:46 pm

Now now - dont get shirty - Ray will bite back! We can be a bunch of mean bastards if you take yourself too seriously!!

In answer to your question - no. There - happy now?

There are companies that will sort out a car loan/lease for you based on UK credit history etc but not for regular personal loans.

Ray Dec 17th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Now now - dont get shirty - Ray will bite back! We can be a bunch of mean bastards if you take yourself too seriously!!

Me!!!!! I 'm bleedin kindness and light personified ...

gruffbrown Dec 17th 2005 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick
If you go via the back door and come in on a VW,

They tend to overheat, he's better off getting a water cooled car....