Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying for Excess Baggage or shiiping using UPS?

Paying for Excess Baggage or shiiping using UPS?

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Paying for Excess Baggage or shiiping using UPS?

As we all know the airlines have cut back the free checked baggage allowance to 1 per person. I had been of the mind to pay for a piece of excess baggage each on our return so we can bring back as much as possible but then it occurred to me instead of paying the $60/bag I could UPS instead. The limit for weight is 50lbs - has anyone shipped using UPS or FedEx instead of paying for excess baggage and how did it compare in terms of cost, time and service?? Thanks

Also, has anyone claimed VAT at the airport when leaving the UK??
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for Excess Baggage or shiiping using UPS?

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Also, has anyone claimed VAT at the airport when leaving the UK??
Not worth it...depends on the shop bothering to take part and unless you're buying something pricey such as a laptop, it'll not get you much of a return.

As for excess, ask the airlines, some limit it to the day depending on how busy the flight is, and costs vary, so sometimes it is a great bargain, others, not so, or even doable.

If you aren't bringing over perishables, such as tea bags, bottled goods, chocolates, you could just ship it slow boat with the post and it'll be cheap as chips. Usually takes 10 weeks, but sometimes as quick as a month.

DHL might be another option as they can sometimes be pretty cheap.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I asked about this once at the local UPS store. They mentioned that its great if you are going domestic, but if you want the luggage shipped international, that's a whole different ball game. This was awhile ago though, so you may want to look into it more just to make sure it's affordable for an international shipment.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Yes, that's what I'm thinking - how much would UPS charge to ship the equivalent of a 50lb bag to me instead of paying the $60 excess baggage fee to take it on the plane with me.

Besides the cost the pro would be not having to lug 3 extra bags to and from the airport. Con is the risk of shipping and waiting for it to arrive.

May well e-mail UPS in England and pose the question to them.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing, would Royal Mail think you are trying to import your clothing and charge you customs/VAT fees on it?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

I'd be sending them from the UK to the US so RM may think I would be exporting my personal items and US customs may decide to open up the boxes.

I'm leaning towards paying the excess baggage costs and stick the lot on the airplane with us going back..
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

There is a company in the UK called Excess Baggage who use UPS 2 day service http://www.excess-baggage.com/
maybe they could offer an alternative?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at flymycase.com as well. I'm planning to use this service this month, and I'll report back on my experience.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=airfreight

Might be of use.