Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying back my English student loan

Paying back my English student loan

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying back my English student loan

..... and your point is?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... and your point is?
Your Victorian attitude.

Surely you could have worked that out from the Dickensian print?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:16 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

What should happen is you leave a UK bank account open with money in and send them direct debits each month based on how much you earn in the USA. If they do catch up with you (which they will) they are fully within their rights to bill you for the full amount that you owe made payable in one lump sum.

I would contact them soon and let them know you are working abroad. When you leave the UK you are supposed to fill out a form downloadable from the website:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/repaying-...-move-overseas

This is what I've been sorting out for my move to NZ. One of the many things on the to-do list!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jan 2nd 2013 at 8:22 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are able to pay it back now, then would it not be the honorable thing to do?
I agree.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:20 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Reading old posts from this board suggests they play hardball without a pot to piss in, and also have a habit of becoming pests
Very much agree with this. They pester you no end when you don't keep up your end of the bargain (updating details and not paying when you're supposed to be). I left the country for one year to travel and they demanded that I send off bank statements to prove I wasn't earning and that I had enough money to support myself for a year of travel. Nosey bar-stewards. If I didn't promptly respond they would fine me blah blah blah pounds.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Your Victorian attitude.

Why is it Victorian? She has not indicated that she cannot afford to pay.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your Victorian attitude.

What's Victorian about paying your debts?

Loan/insurance/credit companies take into account, that some debts will not be repaid - guess what, they just load the premiums for those people to take out the loans/insurance etc.

So OTHER people end up paying for bad debtors.

MY attitude is Victorian? - I think yours is immoral ........
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

If you ever plan on going back to live in the UK, I would get the wheels in motion to start paying back the loan. If you move back they will catch up with you eventually, and it will only be a bigger pain in the neck, and more expensive.

You could live like Ronnie Biggs, as Fatbrit seems to be suggesting you do, but I wouldn't...
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Why is it Victorian? She has not indicated that she cannot afford to pay.
It was the concept of honor that I found odd.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:26 pm
Septicity

What's Victorian about paying your debts?

Loan/insurance/credit companies take into account, that some debts will not be repaid - guess what, they just load the premiums for those people to take out the loans/insurance etc.

So OTHER people end up paying for bad debtors.

MY attitude is Victorian? - I think yours is immoral ........
I'm not in the mood for DM rants today.

I paid nothing my first degree. Bet you didn't, either.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not in the mood for DM rants today.

I paid nothing my first degree. Bet you didn't, either.
Don't have a degree (gasp/shock horror), but have had plenty of other debts/expenses which have been responsible for.

I'm not in the mood for a rant either - so lets agree to disagree
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Was getting a bit worried there but the thread finally developed into the should people pay their debts or not debate before the popcorn got cold.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:52 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Was getting a bit worried there but the thread finally developed into the should people pay their debts or not debate before the popcorn got cold.
Exactly why I stayed out this round.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:48 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by lansbury
DM readers are always with us.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lil_Didi
Hi

I have been in the States for over 3 years. I graduated from university in 2006.
Every time I go back to the UK there are no letters from the student loan company. I think this is either because they are mailing my old student house or because I closed my UK bank account and was not earning the minimum amount necessary in order to start paying back the loan when I was working in England.

Either way I was wondering how long I can put off paying it back since I am living in the states now and they don't know how much I earn.
Will it affect my credit rating if I ever move back to the UK?
Will it be hard to buy a house in the UK?
Do you think I have some massive fine to deal with...my loan was aprox 15k.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
I come from this at a different angle. I suggest to you that the reason the Student Loan Company is not following up on you is because they know completely that both time and the law is on their side. After all, to put it simply, you no doubt signed in triplicate when agreeing to the loans and within the paperwork was your agreement to pay the money back. Mentally wriggling, writhing, contemplating scenario's where they might lose or forget your details to avoid payment is pointless and merely a temporary measure and all the while they will be adding % interest on to your loan.

IF your never going back to the UK (and who can say that definitively) then it may be OK. Although give some thought to the fact that as technology, governments and globalization increases all kinds of intangible borders are being broken down. So as you sit happily in your USA home, perhaps in 30 years time, may come a telephone call or a letter requesting repayment of your now exorbitant debt which has had fees, interest etc added on?

If it were me. And btw it was once 20 years ago (I ended up paying but at least now I can return to the UK without looking over my shoulder re a debt) I would just begin to make those payments you can afford. I don't think I would be in a hurry to voluntarily provide them with any identifying information e.g. whereabouts, addresses, payment details etc and that will require some thought on your part.

Regardless of however much pontificating they may do regarding requiring details from you to allow you to repay (can you not see what they are really doing here? = Hoping you will go away giving them the opportunity/excuse to tack on more fees % etc over time). If you make repayments/ genuinely attempt to make payments keep a record. They are going to look pretty stupid to any court even on Mars trying to argue that the reason they would not accept your payment was because... I'm sure you get the picture.

Accept you made a deal with the devil. Get the devil off your back on your terms and make the repayments suit you.

Last edited by vikingsail; Jan 2nd 2013 at 10:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.