British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   PAYG mobile phone & internet & TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/payg-mobile-phone-internet-tv-905989/)

richard42 Nov 18th 2017 4:26 pm

PAYG mobile phone & internet & TV

Hi all,

First post here.

We're moving to Houston in January and one of the things I'm having fun working out is sorting out mobile phones, internet (whether wired or via tethering) and sorting TV out.

I know we won't be able to get any sort of contract for the first 6 months or so after we move, so it will need to be Pay As You Go for everything.

What's the best way to do it?

From what I see it may be PAYG mobile SIM only deal with enough data between us to last a month and watching TV online and watching locally broadcast TV.

One thing I've just thought of, I've got Amazon and Netflix here in the UK - I know I can watch a restricted set of Netflix (and guessing Amazon is the same) so could do that. Can I switch them to a US subscription and keep paying their monthly subscription from my UK bank account and UK address? I could keep on using them without needing to US contract then.

Thanks,
Richard

BarneyJing Nov 18th 2017 5:15 pm

Re: PAYG mobile phone & internet & TV

Originally Posted by richard42 (Post 12384877)
Hi all,

First post here.

We're moving to Houston in January and one of the things I'm having fun working out is sorting out mobile phones, internet (whether wired or via tethering) and sorting TV out.

I know we won't be able to get any sort of contract for the first 6 months or so after we move, so it will need to be Pay As You Go for everything.

What's the best way to do it?

From what I see it may be PAYG mobile SIM only deal with enough data between us to last a month and watching TV online and watching locally broadcast TV.

One thing I've just thought of, I've got Amazon and Netflix here in the UK - I know I can watch a restricted set of Netflix (and guessing Amazon is the same) so could do that. Can I switch them to a US subscription and keep paying their monthly subscription from my UK bank account and UK address? I could keep on using them without needing to US contract then.

Thanks,
Richard

Would this work? https://www.xfinityprepaid.com/

petitefrancaise Nov 18th 2017 7:00 pm

https://www.mintsim.com/
tmobile also have a prepaid plan that is reasonably cheap and works just like a normal plan except that you pay at the beginning of the month and not the end.

internet, will depend on what is available where you live. If you are lucky you will have a choice.
Maybe Spectrum/time warner = best deal right now just for internet + home phone = $29.99 but ends up being $45.
ATT/direct tv maybe cheaper if you want to have cable tv

You might have google fiber. But that can end up being pretty pricey.

Netflix, just sign up for a US account, same with amazon. Pay with your US account. You can still keep your other accounts and use a US bank account to pay for things you want to buy. I don't know about maintaining subscriptions but not sure why you would want to.

retzie Nov 18th 2017 10:51 pm

I like Ultra for pre-paid phones. They are set up to deal with international activity really easily (calling/texting/roaming), which is what sold me.

You can easily get set up with a PAYG internet connection straight away, which you can flip to a subscription later if you really want. Many providers offer a lower rate for the first year anyway. Be warned that your exact location may restrict your options severely - I have been in apartments that were only serviced by one provider, but down the street there were three :sneaky:

Personally, I don't bother with a landline or TV. Essentially all TV is available to stream (with or without a subscription), so I don't see the point of an additional overhead.

richard42 Nov 18th 2017 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12384959)
Mint

Which network do Mint use? (I am guessing that it's like the UK in that there are only 4 (or 3) actual networks, and the other, smaller providers just resell bandwidth on one of these 4 (3) networks)

internet, will depend on what is available where you live. If you are lucky you will have a choice.

Real internet that is provided by a physical phone line or fibre I couldn't find anything that didn't want me to take out a contract, so am guessing we will have to use a tethered mobile.

Netflix, just sign up for a US account, same with amazon.

They'll want a contract won't they? With no credit record and trying to build one up with a secured credit card we are better off avoiding any and all contracts, as they are just refused and the applications ruin our fledgling credit history, no?

I don't know about maintaining subscriptions but not sure why you would want to.

It was a thought that if someone in the UK could take out and pay for a contract to supply a US address with TV and broadband, that contract would be checked against their UK credit score and paid for out of the UK bank account, which for me is long and good.

A work around to the fact we'll have no credit score in the US for the first 6 months or so?

petitefrancaise Nov 18th 2017 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by richard42 (Post 12385039)
Which network do Mint use? (I am guessing that it's like the UK in that there are only 4 (or 3) actual networks, and the other, smaller providers just resell bandwidth on one of these 4 (3) networks)

Real internet that is provided by a physical phone line or fibre I couldn't find anything that didn't want me to take out a contract, so am guessing we will have to use a tethered mobile.

They'll want a contract won't they? With no credit record and trying to build one up with a secured credit card we are better off avoiding any and all contracts, as they are just refused and the applications ruin our fledgling credit history, no?

It was a thought that if someone in the UK could take out and pay for a contract to supply a US address with TV and broadband, that contract would be checked against their UK credit score and paid for out of the UK bank account, which for me is long and good.

A work around to the fact we'll have no credit score in the US for the first 6 months or so?

Don't overthink things!
Mint is a T-mobile mvno. They will have great coverage in Houston. If you're concerned, get a t-mobile prepaid account. Or as Retzie said look at Ulta, there are others too.

You'll be able to get a contract with spectrum or at&t. They might ask for a deposit but they haven't asked my recent clients here in Austin. You will be fine.
Nobody here in the US will be checking UK credit score/credit history. They don't care.

You will need a deposit for the electricity/gas accounts - they're asking $200 deposit in Austin for electricity and $75 for Texas Gas. Depends on which companies serve your area in Houston

SpoogleDrummer Nov 18th 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by richard42 (Post 12385039)

Netflix don't do contracts, it's a monthly subscription that can be cancelled whenever you want. You pay in advance so there's no credit check or risk that I'm aware of. That said you should be able to use your UK account if you really want to, I use my US account in the UK all the time and I don't think there's any content restrictions.

petitefrancaise Nov 18th 2017 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12385037)
I like Ultra for pre-paid phones. They are set up to deal with international activity really easily (calling/texting/roaming), which is what sold me.

You can easily get set up with a PAYG internet connection straight away, which you can flip to a subscription later if you really want. Many providers offer a lower rate for the first year anyway. Be warned that your exact location may restrict your options severely - I have been in apartments that were only serviced by one provider, but down the street there were three :sneaky:

Personally, I don't bother with a landline or TV. Essentially all TV is available to stream (with or without a subscription), so I don't see the point of an additional overhead.

Hey Retzie! good to hear from you!

I think spectrum is a "no contract " company these days. However, the deal is for a 12 month period and I think you have to pay full whack if you don't last 12 months with them. :confused: Go figure.

tom169 Nov 19th 2017 1:07 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12385054)

I think spectrum is a "no contract " company these days. However, the deal is for a 12 month period and I think you have to pay full whack if you don't last 12 months with them. :confused: Go figure.

Spectrum is no contract. After 12 months the price goes up to the usual rate.

Whenever you cancel you are refunded for any paid days - for example if you cancel mid billing cycle.

Mercury39 Nov 19th 2017 1:25 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12385052)
Netflix don't do contracts, it's a monthly subscription that can be cancelled whenever you want. You pay in advance so there's no credit check or risk that I'm aware of. That said you should be able to use your UK account if you really want to, I use my US account in the UK all the time and I don't think there's any content restrictions.

My experience is when I travel to the UK, or other country, then I get access to the content that Netflix has in that country, not the US, where my subscription is paid. So very possible if the OP accesses Netflix in the US with their UK paid subscription they will get the same content as if they signed up in the UK.

retzie Nov 19th 2017 1:58 am

OP: like PF says, don't overthink things! Many of the services you mention are available without contracts - it's a simple 'no pay, no play' arrangement. Definitely no need to freak out about credit checks (at least, not for this stuff).

:wave: Hope all is well in ATX! Having ditched academia for a real job, I don't spend nearly as much time around here as I used to :starsmile:

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12385066)
Spectrum is no contract. After 12 months the price goes up to the usual rate.

Whenever you cancel you are refunded for any paid days - for example if you cancel mid billing cycle.

I agree with Tom. I read my fine-print pretty carefully when I signed up to Spectrum just over a year ago. Mind you, I didn't cancel and it's now up to the full rate (a whopping $5 increase!).

It wouldn't surprise me that much to learn that this varies by location, though.

tom169 Nov 19th 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12385086)
I agree with Tom. I read my fine-print pretty carefully when I signed up to Spectrum just over a year ago. Mind you, I didn't cancel and it's now up to the full rate (a whopping $5 increase!).

It wouldn't surprise me that much to learn that this varies by location, though.

:goodpost:

It wouldn't surprise me either.

Only reason I said it with some certainty is that I cancelled my offer about 6 months ago, when we moved out of the apartment and into a house.