British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pay UK taxes while living in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pay-uk-taxes-while-living-us-247938/)

Bluegrass Lass Aug 10th 2004 10:40 pm

Pay UK taxes while living in the US?

Hi all, have a question about UK taxes. My hubby moved here in April this year on a K1 visa. We have since married, and he just received his EAD. Our question is, once he starts earning $$ in the US, will he have to pay any taxes to the UK IND on his wages here? By the end of the 2004, he would have been here about 260 days, and assuming we do not return to the UK to live, will be here the entire year for the next few years.

I know as a USC I'm screwed and have to pay US taxes (after the $80k exemption) even if I don't live in the US, and wanted to know if the same could hold true here. And, does it matter whether we file jointly or separately? I.e. if we file joint US taxes for 2004, will the UK only consider his income (assuming he would have to file taxes) since he's the UKC and not me?

Thanks all! Sorry if this topic has come up before, but the search engine on here has been acting all wacky!

Cheers!

sibsie Aug 11th 2004 1:10 am

Re: Pay UK taxes while living in the US?

A double taxation treaty exists between the UK and US so you can't be taxed twice on the same money.

He should have notified the Inland Revenue of his new address and country of residence and dependant on his personal cirumstances they would have advised him accordingly.

Contact the Inland Revenue who are actually pretty helpful.

JAJ Aug 11th 2004 1:19 am

In general terms, British citizens do not have to pay income taxes once they are no longer resident in the UK. Your partner may be able to get a tax rebate because he will be able to use a full year's personal allowance against only part of the year's income and may have overpaid on his PAYE.

Inland Revenue website is http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk

Jeremy

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hi all, have a question about UK taxes. My hubby moved here in April this year on a K1 visa. We have since married, and he just received his EAD. Our question is, once he starts earning $$ in the US, will he have to pay any taxes to the UK IND on his wages here? By the end of the 2004, he would have been here about 260 days, and assuming we do not return to the UK to live, will be here the entire year for the next few years.

I know as a USC I'm screwed and have to pay US taxes (after the $80k exemption) even if I don't live in the US, and wanted to know if the same could hold true here. And, does it matter whether we file jointly or separately? I.e. if we file joint US taxes for 2004, will the UK only consider his income (assuming he would have to file taxes) since he's the UKC and not me?

Thanks all! Sorry if this topic has come up before, but the search engine on here has been acting all wacky!

Cheers!

NC Penguin Aug 11th 2004 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
<<snip>>

I know as a USC I'm screwed and have to pay US taxes (after the $80k exemption) even if I don't live in the US, and wanted to know if the same could hold true here. <<snip>>

Cheers!

Just a comment on the US taxes part of the post. All US citizens need to *file* US taxes regardless of where they live in the world, even if it's to show that they owe the IRS nil.

britchicknyc Aug 11th 2004 1:34 pm

If you want to return to the UK, it is a good idea to keep up with National Insurance payments for pension reasons. Having said that I don't as I figure, there won't be much of one by time I reach that age!

Chopper-Chris Aug 11th 2004 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
If you want to return to the UK, it is a good idea to keep up with National Insurance payments for pension reasons. Having said that I don't as I figure, there won't be much of one by time I reach that age!

I agree...the UK state pension will be non-existant by the time I retire, if it exsists at all, you could probably find more money down the back of the sofa.

Manc Aug 11th 2004 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I agree...the UK state pension will be non-existant by the time I retire, if it exsists at all, you could probably find more money down the back of the sofa.

The current UK pension is approx £100 a week (under that I think)
To contribute it is about US$13 a week, just under $50 a month.

If you invested $50 a month into a good growth stock (or aggressive growth stock mutual fund if your in early 20's) You'll get a lot lot more than £100 a week this way by the time you are 65.

Investing in the UK pension just isn't worth it if, like me I only had about 4 years contributions by the time I left.

someone with like 20 years+ contributions the situation is different granted.

Pulaski Aug 15th 2004 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

Don't mention that to Goordon Brown - he'll be round in a flash to look down the back of your sofa! :D