Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pawtucket, Rhode Island?

Pawtucket, Rhode Island?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pawtucket, Rhode Island?

What's the skinny on this place? Area's worth searching for?

This would be a career change, but it's potentially commutable, for a while at least, but should I be running scared of the location? Commute times?

Obviously I'm only doing basic google searches at the mo, no point if things don't pan out, but a generally heads up would be appreciated
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:19 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pawtucket, Rhode Island?

All I know is that's it's near Woonsocket and Attleboro, two of my favorite town names.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I love Rhode Island and had a dear friend (now deceased) who lived in Providence. He loved the State and its close proximity to Foxwoods, the shore and all the good eating.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I love Rhode Island and had a dear friend (now deceased) who lived in Providence. He loved the State and its close proximity to Foxwoods, the shore and all the good eating.
Foxwoods and the Paw Socks are the only things I really know about the place, that and Providence is the only real city apparently...it's about a 45-60 min commute from here so we'll see...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:11 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Foxwoods and the Paw Socks are the only things I really know about the place, that and Providence is the only real city apparently...it's about a 45-60 min commute from here so we'll see...
Apparently, Pawtucket is twinned with Belper, Derbyshire - a town in England.

Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Pawtucket's an old mill town and has a very "blue collar" feel to it. I quite like the areas of Rhode Island around Newport and the bays surrounding it. The rest of the state is a bit of a dump though.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post

could have been worse, could have been twinned with Staines or Slough
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Just went to check Virginia Beach isn't twinned with one of them. It's not, we have Bangor, Northern Ireland. Off to check that one now.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:58 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post

I would have thought that Limerick would have been chosen.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know anything about Pawtucket - apart from going there twice - once to get my driving license (it's the main DMV) and second to pass my driving test....

Providence is a great city - especially the East side - great restaurants etc

Newport and Jamestown - lovely but $$$$

Warwick / Cranston - both nice (huge houses in places) - Warwick has advantange / disadvantage of TF Green airport right on the doorstep - ok if you're not on the flight path (although a friend of mine that was mad a fortune 6 months ago selling her house to them)

Cranston - more rural in parts very nice.

Not sure when you get further down in the state.

All told, RI is a nice place to live apart from the winters (but I see you're in Mass already so you're used to those) ;-)
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ri_mischief View Post
Don't know anything about Pawtucket - apart from going there twice - once to get my driving license (it's the main DMV) and second to pass my driving test....

Providence is a great city - especially the East side - great restaurants etc

Newport and Jamestown - lovely but $$$$

Warwick / Cranston - both nice (huge houses in places) - Warwick has advantange / disadvantage of TF Green airport right on the doorstep - ok if you're not on the flight path (although a friend of mine that was mad a fortune 6 months ago selling her house to them)

Cranston - more rural in parts very nice.

Not sure when you get further down in the state.

All told, RI is a nice place to live apart from the winters (but I see you're in Mass already so you're used to those) ;-)
That's great thanks

You wouldn't have any idea what the commute into the state from Mass might be like in the mornings etc? Down I-95 and what are the tolls like down there? Can't be any worse than NH though
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

What's the skinny on this place? Area's worth searching for?

This would be a career change, but it's potentially commutable, for a while at least, but should I be running scared of the location? Commute times?

Obviously I'm only doing basic google searches at the mo, no point if things don't pan out, but a generally heads up would be appreciated
dont they make the beer in the Family Guy cartoon?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by basementwaj View Post
dont they make the beer in the Family Guy cartoon?
yeah, there is that
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

That's great thanks

You wouldn't have any idea what the commute into the state from Mass might be like in the mornings etc? Down I-95 and what are the tolls like down there? Can't be any worse than NH though
Hi - no tolls down here at all. I've gone down the 95 from Logan a number of times in the afternoon (not the morning though sorry). The 95 south (barring accidents is always totally clear once you get past the I93/I95 split. If you need to use the I93 / I 95 to get home - your problem will be getting back to Mass in the evening.

Traffic snarls up a little bit past Providence during the rush (morning and evening) but nothing like it does around Boston. Pawtucket is north of Providence so this shouldn't affect you.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

You'd be half an hours drive from Fall River, RI, where you can get pork pies! http://www.boston.com/travel/explore..._of_britannia/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.