Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Patricks Disasters in Restaurants part 2

Patricks Disasters in Restaurants part 2

Old Jun 29th 2003, 4:34 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Patricks Disasters in Restaurants part 2

Last week it was O'Charlies and today it was the Mellow Mushroom!

OK, on the Menu it described the Mushroom Club as "Ham and Turkey, tomatoe, lettuce, bacon topped with cheese - heated then topped with sprouts"

Some Brits might see where this heading already. Anyway it sounded delicious so I ordered it from our rather lovely server called Jameson.

10 minutes later she brought out Ellen's Pizza and my club sandwich. She put it down and I looked at it and then looked at her and said "where are the sprouts". At this point Jameson stared at me and my wife bust out laughing, Jameson then pointed at the bean sprouts on the top of the sandwich. "No, I want real sprouts" - by now the wife was killing herself and Jameson was looking at me like I had six heads. My wife tells Jameson that everything is OK and she can go!

Ellen then goes - you really weren't expecting Brussel sprouts on a club sandwich where you. Well yes I was and was really disappointed when they never came.

American Language 2 Patrick 0

Patrick
Old Jun 29th 2003, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like Ellen has to take you everywhere twice, the 2nd time to apologise.
Old Jun 29th 2003, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Is anybody else feeling sorry for Ellen, after reading Patricks restaurant disasters?
Old Jun 29th 2003, 5:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patricks Disasters in Restaurants part 2

Originally posted by Patrick

OK, on the Menu it described the Mushroom Club as "Ham and Turkey, tomatoe, lettuce, bacon topped with cheese - heated then topped with sprouts"

Some Brits might see where this heading already. Anyway it sounded delicious so I ordered it from our rather lovely server called Jameson.

10 minutes later she brought out Ellen's Pizza and my club sandwich. She put it down and I looked at it and then looked at her and said "where are the sprouts". At this point Jameson stared at me and my wife bust out laughing, Jameson then pointed at the bean sprouts on the top of the sandwich. "No, I want real sprouts" - by now the wife was killing herself and Jameson was looking at me like I had six heads. My wife tells Jameson that everything is OK and she can go!

Ellen then goes - you really weren't expecting Brussel sprouts on a club sandwich where you. Well yes I was and was really disappointed when they never came.

Patrick
I think there needs to a Patrick only menu just like there are kiddies menus so he can clearly understand what's contained in any dish!

When I have a problem understanding a menu item, I usually ask my husband (or any other American with me). Failing that, I ask the server...

NC Penguin
Old Jun 29th 2003, 10:13 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I think there needs to a Patrick only menu just like there are kiddies menus so he can clearly understand what's contained in any dish!

When I have a problem understanding a menu item, I usually ask my husband (or any other American with me). Failing that, I ask the server...

NC Penguin
I understood the menu - its said sprouts! Sprouts are round green things that are boiled and taste yummy. Sprouts are not long thin green things!
Old Jun 29th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Sprouts are round green things that are boiled and taste yummy.
And make you fart like a trooper.

Rob
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I understood the menu - its said sprouts! Sprouts are round green things that are boiled and taste yummy. Sprouts are not long thin green things!

Actually, sprouts come in quite a few varieties. Be sure and ask your wife for more info on this before ordering anything else at a resteraunt.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh Patrick what are we to do with you ?? hehehe I probably wouldn't have ordered that just because sprouts sound pretty weird on a club sammich.

poor poor Ellen

Jan
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

aramintaalice is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick

Can't stop laughing at this - and yes, you were right, as soon as you mentioned sprouts I was already off! What a hilarious situation, the image of a sandwich topped with Brussels is funny enough. Poor Jameson. Please, please give us more like this Patrick.....

Last edited by aramintaalice; Jun 30th 2003 at 9:09 am.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

BritAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick, I love your stories and sense of humor! You are a brave buckaroo!

I remember when I was in Scotland and I read on the menu that they were serving "rocket"...what the heck is rocket?!!!!! Had visions of space ships and stuff in my mind. Okay, so I found out it was a harmless variety of some kind of green lettuce thingy. You learn something new everyday.

PS...I love brussell sprouts (not over cooked, tho) and wish more restaurants served them here.

Cheers!
Donna
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:27 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Awwww..... brussell sprouts have to be over cooked! Its part of the enjoyment when you're still trying to get the smell out of the house three days later!!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my sad story.. not long after we got here I ordered "fish and chips" at a restaurant (a real restaurant, not a crappy chain) and got fish and a pile of crisps.

Now I KNOW they call chips "french fries" and crisps chips, but even so it was fish and chips!!

It didn't even occur to me that you could be served crisps at a restaurant as part of your dinner!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 5:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I have to admit to eating alfalfa (sprouts) for many years before I moved to the US so when I see sprouts on a menu, thank goodness, I know what they mean.

Although, thinking about it, there's so many kinds of sprouts-
e.g. alfalfa, brocolli, clover and a few others...

I'm also found of the Brussel sprouts too but don't like them overcooked at all! I've also never notice they make the kitchen or home smell.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 1st 2003, 5:57 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by NC Penguin

I'm also found of the Brussel sprouts too but don't like them overcooked at all! I've also never notice they make the kitchen or home smell.

NC Penguin
Depends how long you cook them for!!! :scared:
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

<<snip>>

Patrick
After the brouhaha about the sprouts, what did you think of the sandwich anyway?

Would you have preferred it with Brussel sprouts instead of the alfalfa sprouts?

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.