Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Yep thats exactly it, no deductables to pay if we use members.

I have spoken to the relevant people regarding the HIPPA and they are sending out the complaint form and agree its a breech of my privacy rights.

thanks alot xx
I wouldn't file the complaint until the doctor has spoken to you. Just because the threat of filing it makes good leverage.

I would include in your letter that you do NOT owe them the money they are requesting, that in fact they owe you the initial money, which you expect to be promptly refunded, or you will take appropriate action.

The only thing I wonder, is do you have anything in writing where she said they were members? Or did anyone else hear this? Because people do lie...

You could possibly take them to small claims court to recover the money.

If he/she calls, you can still file the complaint regardless.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I am presuming they are?

The reason I ask is that our doctors receptionist discussed with a family friend details from our files.

I have tried to do an internet search but come up with lawyers all the time!
1. Attorney
2. Sue
3. Lottery
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
1. Attorney
2. Sue
3. Lottery
It's the American way...much better than Britain.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 26th 2007 at 7:22 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I wouldn't file the complaint until the doctor has spoken to you. Just because the threat of filing it makes good leverage.

I would include in your letter that you do NOT owe them the money they are requesting, that in fact they owe you the initial money, which you expect to be promptly refunded, or you will take appropriate action.

The only thing I wonder, is do you have anything in writing where she said they were members? Or did anyone else hear this? Because people do lie...

You could possibly take them to small claims court to recover the money.

If he/she calls, you can still file the complaint regardless.

I have kind of resumed my self to not getting back the money we have already paid however I am unprepared to give them any more so take the stand that they can whistle for the additional $750 odd.

Hubby just spoke with receptionist again and she said well its complicated, some we take and some we dont!
So he told her that well as she said they were members we took her on her word and that its her fault if shes confused and not ours and that she should not give out info if shes not sure.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If they are truly wrong, and it sounds like they are (just saying if bc I am not there or seeing letters) I would still say send the registered letter. And say that if you do not get a response from the doctor by a particular date, the next letter will be from your attorney, and you will look into filing a compaint for her violation of federal HIPPA laws. That is presuming that they actually disclosed information that they are not allowed to. I believe that they can be fined substantially for violating those laws.
Yes, they can be fined heavily. If a letter is sent, make sure you include that as they knowingly disclosed the information that they are liable for a fine of up to $50,000 and 1 year in prison. They probably believe that they are subject to the civil fine which is $100 per violation but that is for accidents, like a clearinghouse accidentally sends a file of claims to the wrong insurance company. If you really want to stretch it and put the pressure on them, you could probably claim that as they were using this information to get you to pay a bill, that could be classed as using the information for commercial advantage or personal gain which has a fine of $250,000 and up to 10 years in jail.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's the American way...much better than Britain.

hehe!

just can do without the headache.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I have kind of resumed my self to not getting back the money we have already paid however I am unprepared to give them any more so take the stand that they can whistle for the additional $750 odd.

Hubby just spoke with receptionist again and she said well its complicated, some we take and some we dont!
So he told her that well as she said they were members we took her on her word and that its her fault if shes confused and not ours and that she should not give out info if shes not sure.
And what was her response to that?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

hehe!

just can do without the headache.
You don't have to have one!

Let the attorney do the leg work... I'm only advocating this route because so many companies get away with this type of crap when they should know better - especially a doctor's office.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

And what was her response to that?

Well hubby told her he was not impressed that she had discussed with friend and she said that she felt it was within her rights as the said friend had recommended the doctors to us!!!! omg the cheek.

No result in this so guess I will have to send recorded delivery letter and if that dont help find a lawyer to settle it, along with filling in the HIPPA complaint form.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Let the attorney do the leg work... I'm only advocating this route because so many companies get away with this type of crap when they should know better - especially a doctor's office.
An attorney will charge for this. The doctor may be unaware of the whole thing so far. So if the doctor is made aware, and still won't cooperate...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well hubby told her he was not impressed that she had discussed with friend and she said that she felt it was within her rights as the said friend had recommended the doctors to us!!!! omg the cheek.

No result in this so guess I will have to send recorded delivery letter and if that dont help find a lawyer to settle it, along with filling in the HIPPA complaint form.
I would call her again and inform her of your intentions...make her sweat a little.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Our posts crossed. I think you're right. And she's nuts.

To be fair, the doctor could be unaware of the whole thing and be perfectly apalled. I'd see what happens there first.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep I agree!

I am a very pricipled person and 100% believe this type of thing should not be gotten away with.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would call her again and inform her of your intentions...make her sweat a little.
Sorry, but I disagree. That just gives here the chance to know about and intercept the letters, and put a spin on it for the doctor.

It is now beyond her ability to fix anyway - she would not have the authority to write-off bills.

The element of surprise is what I would advocate.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep I agree!

I am a very pricipled person and 100% believe this type of thing should not be gotten away with.
I agree I wonder how many people she's done this to in the past. I always think about the elderly folk...they get confused and don't want a fuss so they would just pay up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.