Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are patient confidentiality rules the same in USA as in UK?

Originally Posted by loopylorns
......I miss the NHS, people knock it but its not complicated.
People who knock the NHS generally have no experience of other healthcare systems.

As for your problem: no point trying to sort this out via the receptionist - you need to talk to the doctor.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
People who knock the NHS generally have no experience of other healthcare systems.

As for your problem: no point trying to sort this out via the receptionist - you need to talk to the doctor.

Yep if only I could get passed the receptionist!

Hubby is attempting to as we speak, fingers crossed!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If need be make a big fuss in reception at a time when the waiting-room is full of patients.

You have a right to speak to the doctor. He is running a business, and you are his/her customer.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well Elvira this is the thing, very long story!

We arrived here on Oct 28th last year, knew we had medical insurance with healthnet from 1st oct.

Took our 4 kids to docs as needed injections before being allowed into school (grr) any way first thing I naturally did was ask Doctors if they were healthnet members-at this point had no med cards os SSN so even if we had our med card we couldnt use without SSN (our polocy rules).

We paid the bill cash $1500 and were told we would get it all back, kids went again had more injections by which time we had med cards and SSN so we just paid our $20 per person co pay.

Next thing I know is we are being billed by docs as they are not healthnet members (despite saying they were) and so due to miss information by receptionist we are $1500 down plus she wants another $750.

Now I have to add at this point to save confusion that if I use an healthnet member I do not have any deductables so hence why I am slightly miffed to say the least that I am already out of pocket plus owe additional monies.

I wanted to speak to the doctor regarding this and have asked on several occasions but apparently I cant! I really feel the receptionist has not disclosed her screw up to the doctor.

The receptionist still claims today that they are healthnet registered.

On friday of last week the receptionist called our friends, disclosed information on this matter, amount owed etc and asked him to talk to us to get us to pay, at this point she told him they only wanted the deductables!

Now as she keeps saying they are health net registered why would there be any? she does not seem to grasp this.

Why on earth would this woman think I would use a non member and pay $2000 deductables rather than use a member and pay non!!!!

grrr it is very frustrating but to say that I was mortified that she told our friends we owed them cash is putting it lightly.
Obviously the receptionist is an idiot.

They absolutely cannot legally disclose any of your health information. Look up HIPPA laws if you like.

It sounds like what she did was disclose financial information, in the attempt to collect a debt. That very well may be legal.

It depends upon what was said.

As to the issues of telling you they are members, when they are not - I'd send a registered letter to the doctor requesting that he discuss the issue with you.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Yes they say as the doctors not registered they cant help and advised I make a formal complaint at the department of health insurance but thanks to another poster I have a more direct route.

Also my hubby has spoken with the healthnet agent who sorts it out for the company but oh my! hes next to useless, the stories I could tell just to get the cards in the first place!

I miss the NHS, people knock it but its not complicated.
It's odd that the receptionist (still) claims they were registered with Healthnet.
Google Healthnet (your state) - their website should list their providers - giving independent verification of whether the practice is/isn't a member status.
Regardless of the doctor's office provider status with Healthnet - the main issue being -
What an unacceptable and unprofessional way of dealing with a billing dispute! Please keep posted how you get along.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If need be make a big fuss in reception at a time when the waiting-room is full of patients.

You have a right to speak to the doctor. He is running a business, and you are his/her customer.

Yep I am trying to avoid doing this but fear I may have to take that option.

Receptionist seems to be trying any thing to avoid me talking to her.

I even received a letter at end of feb saying a $15 charge would be added to each account for each month STARTING MARCH.

Then I got another bill last Friday and the $15 had been added for Feb and March!!!

Letter said that several calls had been made to us with no response too, had the one message whilst away in Uk, called as soon as we got back so really the receptionist is very bad.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tracym
Obviously the receptionist is an idiot.

They absolutely cannot legally disclose any of your health information. Look up HIPPA laws if you like.

It sounds like what she did was disclose financial information, in the attempt to collect a debt. That very well may be legal.

It depends upon what was said.

As to the issues of telling you they are members, when they are not - I'd send a registered letter to the doctor requesting that he discuss the issue with you.
When my hubby explored all this and told the receptionist how it worked she said "oh I have learnt some thing new today" well I ask you!

She is claiming they are healthnet registered but our policy isnt one they are registered for! dooh healthnet laughed! we have platinum cover!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

When my hubby explored all this and told the receptionist how it worked she said "oh I have learnt some thing new today" well I ask you!

She is claiming they are healthnet registered but our policy isnt one they are registered for! dooh healthnet laughed! we have platinum cover!
If they are truly wrong, and it sounds like they are (just saying if bc I am not there or seeing letters) I would still say send the registered letter. And say that if you do not get a response from the doctor by a particular date, the next letter will be from your attorney, and you will look into filing a compaint for her violation of federal HIPPA laws. That is presuming that they actually disclosed information that they are not allowed to. I believe that they can be fined substantially for violating those laws.

I suppose before I did that I would try to get Healthnet to figure out just how/if they are registered. I don't know if it's possible that they could be registered just for some particular program or something.

But in any case, I'd sure be wanting the doctor to hear about this.

Oh - just another thought - I don't know how big an office this is. But often there is a business manager, who would probably be an even better person to speak with than the doctor, if they have such a person.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Google HIPPA
BE Enthusiast

If they are truly wrong, and it sounds like they are (just saying if bc I am not there or seeing letters) I would still say send the registered letter. And say that if you do not get a response from the doctor by a particular date, the next letter will be from your attorney, and you will look into filing a compaint for her violation of federal HIPPA laws. That is presuming that they actually disclosed information that they are not allowed to. I believe that they can be fined substantially for violating those laws.

I suppose before I did that I would try to get Healthnet to figure out just how/if they are registered. I don't know if it's possible that they could be registered just for some particular program or something.

But in any case, I'd sure be wanting the doctor to hear about this.

Oh - just another thought - I don't know how big an office this is. But often there is a business manager, who would probably be an even better person to speak with than the doctor, if they have such a person.

According to healthnet they have not been members since 1998.

They can however treat healthnet members and these claims will be paid once the insureds deductions are met. I think this is where the receptionist is getting confused but it does not change the fact that I asked if they were members and she said yes.

It is a small office with just 2 staff, doctor and receptionist as far as I know.
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can pass the receptionist. Call your doctor's number after hours. You should be placed into voice mail. Leave a voice mail for the doctor and if he has an answering service, leave a message with them that you would like him to call you in the morning about an urgent non-medical issue and if you do not hear from him before 12 noon the next day, he will be hearing from your attorney.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Of course you can pass the receptionist. Call your doctor's number after hours. You should be placed into voice mail. Leave a voice mail for the doctor and if he has an answering service, leave a message with them that you would like him to call you in the morning about an urgent non-medical issue and if you do not hear from him before 12 noon the next day, he will be hearing from your attorney.

Good idea Rete, have not thought of this!

will do later tonight, thanks
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

According to healthnet they have not been members since 1998.

They can however treat healthnet members and these claims will be paid once the insureds deductions are met. I think this is where the receptionist is getting confused but it does not change the fact that I asked if they were members and she said yes.

It is a small office with just 2 staff, doctor and receptionist as far as I know.
So if I understand, if they were members you wouldn't have had to pay the deductible? But now you do?

Well then I go with my registered letter idea.

Whether or not you threaten them with a HIPPA complaint depends upon if they violated it.

Certainly complain about lousy business practices.

For the record, if you can possibly avoid it, I would never trust people with "oh pay me and then we'll collect it elsehwere and you'll get it back". Not criticising you in the least, I understand, just that it's very hard in that case for you to enforce.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
But the receptionist will probably be the one to pick up the messages. Worth a try though.

I was suggesting the registered letter because they tend to look scary and get people's attention. And you have a record of it.

Oh yes, and my attorney has always suggested sending the same letter two ways, on the same day - one registered, one regular mail. I'm not sure exactly why this works, but has always been recommended to me.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

So if I understand, if they were members you wouldn't have had to pay the deductible? But now you do?

Well then I go with my registered letter idea.

Whether or not you threaten them with a HIPPA complaint depends upon if they violated it.

Certainly complain about lousy business practices.

For the record, if you can possibly avoid it, I would never trust people with "oh pay me and then we'll collect it elsehwere and you'll get it back". Not criticising you in the least, I understand, just that it's very hard in that case for you to enforce.
Yep thats exactly it, no deductables to pay if we use members.

I have spoken to the relevant people regarding the HIPPA and they are sending out the complaint form and agree its a breech of my privacy rights.

thanks alot xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.