Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passports for kids

Passports for kids

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of
Default Passports for kids

I have been here for 15 years and have decided that I want to leave and go home.
I am trying to get my children passports but seem to be getting the run around. I have been on the site that I was meant to use but I can't get my head around it.
I am a brit but my hubby isn't he is from here

Here get your head around all of this.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice
Default Re: Passports for kids

Originally Posted by Cherylbe
I have been here for 15 years and have decided that I want to leave and go home.
I am trying to get my children passports but seem to be getting the run around. I have been on the site that I was meant to use but I can't get my head around it.

As long as you were born in the UK they are automatically british citizens by descent. All you need to do is apply to the british embassy washington for their passports.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-to-apply/
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

They were no help at all, I was calling around all day and no seemed to know. I ended up calling the UK and talking to the passport office back home and they told me within min's that I need C1 and C2's two for the C1 and two for the C2
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:43 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

you can get them Brit passports ..just leave your info on their answering system and within a week or so you get the forms...I strongly suggest you get your children U.S passports (if they are dual citizens)because if they leave the U.S without one you may jepodize their citizenship status.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
you can get them Brit passports ..just leave your info on their answering system and within a week or so you get the forms...I strongly suggest you get your children U.S passports (if they are dual citizens)because if they leave the U.S without one you may jepodize their citizenship status.
I'm not worried about the dual thing. If they want one later on they can get one, till they are 18 they have a choice and even older if they are in one of the two armed forces. In order to reelist they have to pick.
We have seen it many, many times. My older son is 16 and will be joining the Army (US) and has talked to eveyone and all I have to do is take him to one of the main US bases back home and he can start his paperwork and they will fly him back over, we have that base coverd seems to be the only thing we are 100% on at this point. Now I need to look into jobs and houseing....
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not worried about the dual thing. If they want one later on they can get one, till they are 18 they have a choice and even older if they are in one of the two armed forces. In order to reelist they have to pick.

Unclear where you get your information on nationality law from, but it's wrong.

Incidentally, just because you get them British passports does not mean that you have the right to remove them from the United States without permission of the other parent or a court of law.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear where you get your information on nationality law from, but it's wrong.

Incidentally, just because you get them British passports does not mean that you have the right to remove them from the United States without permission of the other parent or a court of law.
No that info is not wrong. It's my job, I work on the US base enlisting the members and anyone even on a green card who is here can join the US armed forces but once you want to reenlist you have to them become a US cit. In most cases its after your first four years but a few have been able to get to seven because they are Officers and the enlistment is diffrent for them.

As for the huspand he really can't stop me because his job takes him all over the world and he is gone more than he is here and he knows that he can't take care off them alone and he may not be happy but he knows that I will take them, and he will stop in and see them on is many trips.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As for the huspand he really can't stop me because his job takes him all over the world and he is gone more than he is here and he knows that he can't take care off them alone and he may not be happy but he knows that I will take them, and he will stop in and see them on is many trips.
Have you settled the issue of legal custody of the children in writing or by court judgement yet?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:02 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly suggest you get your children U.S passports (if they are dual citizens)because if they leave the U.S without one you may jepodize their citizenship status.
How so????
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That is different than what you said before.

If they were born in the US, they are US citizens regardless of what you think happens at age 18.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here for 15 years
My older son is 16
So he wasn't born in the US? Is your husband American? Is your husband the father of this child?

If you take the kids without permission, you leave yourself open to kidnapping charges. Up to you of course.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As for the huspand he really can't stop me
All he needs to say is that you are removing them from the US without his permission, and that opens you up to kidnap charges. It won't matter if his job takes him all over, he has the right to keep you from taking them outside the country. To cover your butt, you need to get official documentation from him and the court, that you can remove them from the US. This is not a case where it is better to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission.

If they were born here, why don't you want them to get their US passports? It's fairly painless, and it gives them the ability to come and visit their father whenever, and for however long, they want to. Or is that what you are afraid of? If you think that they can't have both citizenships, you are wrong. They can be citizens of both countries, without jeopardizing either citizenship.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:47 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
How so????
well as far as I know .it's because the U.S does NOT recognise dual citizenship...if a citizen has left the country on another countries passport their U.S citizenship can be revoked... maybe this is just for adults??
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

well as far as I know .it's because the U.S does NOT recognise dual citizenship...if a citizen has left the country on another countries passport their U.S citizenship can be revoked... maybe this is just for adults??
Uhmm..nope. Where did you read that one? While there is a law that says USC's are to leave and enter on their US passport, there are actually no written consequences if they do not. This was a topic of much discussion here a few months back, and the general consensus was that while this law is on the books, there is no punishment given out. Would be very interested to know where you read your information.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No that info is not wrong. It's my job, I work on the US base enlisting the members and anyone even on a green card who is here can join the US armed forces but once you want to reenlist you have to them become a US cit. I
With respect, you said:
"If they want one [dual citizenship] later on they can get one, till they are 18 they have a choice and even older if they are in one of the two armed forces."

Which is wrong. There is no "choice of nationality" rule in the United States. If you're a U.S. citizen you don't need to "choose" anything at age 18.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.