Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passports coming out of my ears, but what is really necessary?

Passports coming out of my ears, but what is really necessary?

Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passports coming out of my ears, but what is really necessary?

So for starts, so you can work this out with me, there are 5 of us.
Me and DH. kids, 17, 4 and 1 year old.

Me and DH British born holding British Passports and Naturalized US cits.
17 year old British born, has British passport and automatically a US cit. from our Naturalization.
4 year old Born in America. Has American Passport.
1 year old Born in America. No Passport.

At first I thought I'd just go ahead and arrange it so that all 5 of us have both British Passports and US passports but is that really necessary?

If the 4 year old and 1 year old entered the UK on American Passports and stayed beyond the 3 months (which we would as we are moving back) would I just need to apply for their British Passports after we had arrived before the 3 months was up?

Isn't it a requirement that after you naturalize that you must have a US passport before you leave the US?

Thanks all
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports coming out of my ears, but what is really necessary?

For the 17 year old it is very very necessary. The US Passport is her proof of US Citizenship. Get it now while you are in the US and before you head out of the US to live and work. Later in life she might have a problem getting the US Passport if you have not filed the N-600 for proof of her US citizenship.

As for the one year old, she needs a passport to travel. Get her one.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies

If the 4 year old and 1 year old entered the UK on American Passports and stayed beyond the 3 months (which we would as we are moving back) would I just need to apply for their British Passports after we had arrived before the 3 months was up?
There was a post some time ago about this subject. Worth searching to find it.

I believe the children went back on US passports but there were some hoops to jump through afterward.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

17 year old British born, has British passport and automatically a US cit. from our Naturalization.

At first I thought I'd just go ahead and arrange it so that all 5 of us have both British Passports and US passports but is that really necessary?

Isn't it a requirement that after you naturalize that you must have a US passport before you leave the US?

Thanks all
There are threads about this in the MBTTUK forum...there's been one in the last month or so. It is much easier if you enter the UK as UK citizens...then you are entitled to NHS care, eduction etc as soon as you set foot on British soil. You do not need a current UK PP to enter the UK as a British citizen...but you should provide proof that you are ie UK birth certificate.

You can enter the UK using a US PP but you will be classed as a visitor and not a resident. You can sort it out later but from what I've read it's an awful lot of trouble...much better to enter as a Brit.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

EVERYONE needs a US passport.

Assuming you are all planning to remain in the US and you're ok with the idea of later on having to reapply for a British passport as a "first time" applicant, and entering the UK as a visitor, then you can let your British passports expire.

Bear in mind that a British passport can mean easier entry to some other countries, such as Brazil, so think carefully about letting passports expire.

Your 4 and 1 year old children should at least have British consular birth certificates and at least get first British passports.

Your 17 year old should use N-600 to get a citizenship certificate, as well as a US passport.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your 17 year old should use N-600 to get a citizenship certificate, as well as a US passport.

The expense is not required to get a N-600 if the child gets her passport. The passport is the proof that she will need to prove US citizenship.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The expense is not required to get a N-600 if the child gets her passport. The passport is the proof that she will need to prove US citizenship.
Yes, but if the passport is lost, or is not renewed on time, having an additional piece of paper for proof of citizenship would be a good back-up plan.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yes, but if the passport is lost, or is not renewed on time, having an additional piece of paper for proof of citizenship would be a good back-up plan.

In either of those cases she needs to once again file the same backup information as the first time around, i.e. birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate and mother's naturalization certificate.

Or spend the money to get the N-600 ($465).

Last edited by Rete; Jul 22nd 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Selective Service when the youngster turns 18.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't forget Selective Service when the youngster turns 18.
We are returning to the UK in 1 month. They won't turn 18 until next summer. If we are not living in the US or they don't move back until after 26 years old, we don't have to sign up for selective serice do we?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We are returning to the UK in 1 month. They won't turn 18 until next summer. If we are not living in the US or they don't move back until after 26 years old, we don't have to sign up for selective serice do we?
Yes. And file taxes.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm
DUAL NATIONALS
Dual nationals of the U.S. and another country are required to register, regardless of where they live, because they are U.S. nationals.
See also Aliens and Dual Nationals - Liability for Service

As noted, all US citizens are required to report their worldwide income to the IRS. There are some good wiki entries here for you to reference.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sign 'em up for SSS. Failure to register can make them ineligible for federal benefits should they later, for example, wish to study in the US.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In either of those cases she needs to once again file the same backup information as the first time around, i.e. birth certificate, parent's marriage certificate and mother's naturalization certificate.

Or spend the money to get the N-600 ($465).
Obtaining all that "backup information" may not be easy 20+ years down the line, and even if it is, one would be without evidence of citizenship in the meantime.

It is imprudent to rely on passport alone as proof of citizenship, hence the need to get the N-600 process done.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

We are returning to the UK in 1 month.
In that case your passport plans are simplified ... everyone needs a British passport plus a US passport!

But why on earth have you not obtained these for your younger children?? 1 month is probably not long enough to get one, given the hassles people experience from the British Embassy.

They won't turn 18 until next summer. If we are not living in the US or they don't move back until after 26 years old, we don't have to sign up for selective serice do we?
Selective Service is mandatory for all male US citizens (between 18-26) plus certain others. US citizens living in other countries must still register.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.