Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passports for children

Passports for children

Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

mumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nice
Default Passports for children

Hi all, hope everyone is well

I have a problem maybe you can help me with or give some advise

I am british born and bred, but moved out to america seven yrs ago, i have 2 boys who are dual nationality. Anyway i sent of for their passports as we are relocating back to the Uk, but i have come across a problem.

Well after 3 weeks of waiting i got back my 2 sons passport applications forms. Across them they have first with an orange sticker stuck on, unprocessed with a sheet explaining to resubmit with documents. Highlighted in orange is the part with Born outside the Uk CLAIM THROUGH MOTHER

Underneath they highlighted the part of long Birth certificate, issued within 3 months of birth(if not available please supply hospital records.)

I sent my full birth certificate but it was one my mum went and got from the deputy registrar in August 2008 as we are unable to find the original. Then i also sent along a certified copy of the page of my passport.

Im assuming they sent it back because of the birth certificate!!!! as there was no other explanation for them both to be sent back. And it was the only part highlighted.

So what documents should i send along now, my BC is a legal copy but obviously they wont accept it. Im so stressed, we travel on march 20th.:curse:

Thanks for any help or insight
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports for children

Lots of people replace their birth certificates. This appears to be a case of a person dealing with passport applicants who doesn't understand the difference between a late registration of the birth and replacement of a birth certificate.

It appears to be a case of unreasonable denial of passport facilities, not the first at the British Embassy (by all accounts on this forum) and probably not the last.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas

Your options are:

1. Make a formal complaint to get them to consider the case properly. If you have an MP in the United Kingdom, contact him or her urgently.

2. Apply for Right of Abode stamps in your sons American passports, although there may not be enough time. The difference with Right of Abode is that there is a formal process and they cannot legally return the application the way that they have done with the passport application. They have to formally refuse it in writing and give reasons.

3. Bring the children to the United Kingdom as tourists on American passports (if they get past Immigration) and go to the Passport Office to get their documentation sorted out. Bear in mind that you may have to pay for healthcare etc. until they have proof of British citizenship.

4. Change your flights!

Also, with respect, it really was not a good idea to book flights before passports were issued!

Out of interest, have you got your own American citizenship sorted out before you leave?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:05 am
Just Joined

mumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nicemumof2monsters is just really nice

HEy thanks for the response

I know we are late applying, i was just going by their guidelines of time. We booked flights as we applied for my husbands setlement visa too, and they ask for the itinary, and then of course you read at the end dont book flights LOL, oh well im going to have to try and change them.although we still havent heard back from that yet either.

I dont know if trying to take them through as tourists would work.

What other documents could i show for proof or who do i contact and talk to about the problem, the paper they sent just asks me to resubmit with the apporpriate documents. I have my NHS card would that work too, along with the original short form of my BC?

thanks for your response

Donna
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:06 am
Just Joined

sorry and no i havent applied for citizenship here. I am a green cold holder, which i will surrender along with the form i have to fill out.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2monsters View Post
What other documents could i show for proof or who do i contact and talk to about the problem, the paper they sent just asks me to resubmit with the apporpriate documents. I have my NHS card would that work too, along with the original short form of my BC?
The problem is that they make you contact an "outsourced partner" to discuss passport issues. You pay $2.60 a minute and from many accounts I have heard, people have just been given the exact same information that's on the website.

It is common for embassies to treat foreigners to these "premium rate" services, but few developed countries do this to their own citizens.

also try this option: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-off...akingcomplaint

If they have not given you the name of a specific officer assigned to your application, you may want to contact the Foreign Office in London (Passport Section), +44 20 70081500. Tell them that your sons have been denied British passports and you need to know the reason why. Ironically, it's probably cheaper to call London than call the premium rate line the Embassy offers.

If you have an MP, contact him or her also.

As for abandoning your green card and not becoming an American citizen, that may be unwise. What happens if your plans change later in life?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:25 am
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

sorry and no i havent applied for citizenship here. I am a green cold holder, which i will surrender along with the form i have to fill out.
Do you think this is wise?

You are the mother of 2 American children. What if you need to return to live in the US at some point in the future? What if the move back to the UK doesn't work out? What if your husband were to die, or you get divorced?

The only way you can ensure that you have the *right* to live and work in the US is through getting citizenship.

(BTW, this advice comes from someone who yearns to return to the UK...)
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:03 am
Just Joined

I have no desire to return to the USA to live. My husband has been the only thing keeping me here in the US. I to yearn to go back to my family and friends and get back on track with my career in the UK. We as a family have decided we wont be relocating anywhere after this move. Our boys are 3 and 5 need to settle into school and life in the UK with famiy and friends.

Here in USA we have hardly anyone, hubbys family spread out all around the country.

God forbid my husband were to die or us get divorced but then i would be right where i needed to be, already in england with my family for support.

In 7 yrs i havent worked here in America. IF my boys wish to move here as adults then that would be their decision, they can enjoy being able to live in both countries.

The only thing i have ever regretted in life was moving to america, no offense to anyone, but i miss my own country, and the way of life lol.

thanks for all your input

Donna
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

In 7 yrs i havent worked here in America. IF my boys wish to move here as adults then that would be their decision, they can enjoy being able to live in both countries.
As long as you accept that you would not necessarily have any right to join them in the United States.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Passports for children

My word JAJ, you're a bit grumpy in this thread . I don't even understand Donna's original post, so let's take things step by step before we encourage someone to go down a path that will only delay an application further.

Donna - I don't normally get involved in routine passport enquiries but drop me a PM explaining exactly what you sent to the Passport Production Centre and what they sent back/asked for and I'll see if I can get someone to look into it further.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:17 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you say you included your own birth cert - did you also include the long certs or consular birth report for the child?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Hey i sent my LONG birth certificate which my mum went and got from the registrars office in England. According to my mumr she has never held full birth certificates for us, just the short ones, which i have here. Thats why she ordered all 4 of us kids and herself a long version at the same time. Then i sent my boys 2 american birth certificates, they dont have consular birth certs as its not required but i did send their birth certificates. Its the only birth certificate we can get for them here, states the parents name and birth place and kids name, date and birth place.

I also sent a notarised copy of my passport page.

Thanks

Donna
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:46 am
Just Joined

LOL when i reread that it dont sound right. I dont mean we are kids, just her grown children LOL
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Just an update for everyone on the passport situations. Well a gal from the embassy phoned me and explained to me what was going on, seems it wasnt my birth certificate that was the problem even though the form they sent out said it was. It was my youngest sons birth certificate. Apparently even though his birth was registered 4 days after his birth because we didnt go collect his birth certificate within 3 months of his birth so they wont accept it. So my hubby has had a nice 14 hour round trip to go to the hospital where he was born and pick up hospital birth records. The nice lady at the embassy just asked that we make the records out for attention to her and she would attach it to our files, so they dont get misplaced. She also said that the passports would definatly be ready for our travel date which is great or we would be homeless LOL (no im not kidding either).

Thanks to everyone for your help and input, it was all very much appreciated.

Oh yeah and my hubby also recieved his spouse visa today from chicago embassy. Very impressed, very quick turn around of 9 business days. So we are nearly all set for our move back to England. I cant wait!!!!!!

You all take care, have a great evening

Donna
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

Just an update for everyone on the passport situations. Well a gal from the embassy phoned me and explained to me what was going on, seems it wasnt my birth certificate that was the problem even though the form they sent out said it was. It was my youngest sons birth certificate. Apparently even though his birth was registered 4 days after his birth because we didnt go collect his birth certificate within 3 months of his birth so they wont accept it.
An odd and unreasonable policy and the only way they get away with it is because in Britain (unlike any developed country) there is no legislation underpinning the issue of passports.

If your child was older and such records were unavailable, what would he be expected to do? Go without a passport for life?

Strongly recommend that you also get a consular birth certificate to avoid future hassles.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...h_Registration
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post

3. Bring the children to the United Kingdom as tourists on American passports (if they get past Immigration) and go to the Passport Office to get their documentation sorted out. Bear in mind that you may have to pay for healthcare etc. until they have proof of British citizenship.
Yikes this is not good advice. There is a very severe danger of the kids not being allowed in the country because the UK Passport holder (the mother) has no right of return to the US (she said she was returning her green card) and the US Passport holder (the father) has right to stay in the UK, so immigration official would assume the kids are not tourists but going to stay so could refuse the children entry. And such a thing has happened.

And JAJ as you have such a thing going against the British Embassy just to let you know that the US charge premium rates for phone calls to their inquiry line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.