Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport? Visa? or wing it?

Passport? Visa? or wing it?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Zeptepi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport? Visa? or wing it?

I'm a UK national, she's a Bulgaria national (married since July 2008- dated and lived for longer) We are both US permenant residents. We plan to travel to the UK and Bulgaria in May to see our respective families.

The british emabassy website is fairly lacking in precise details on what requirements are needed for my wife to either;

1) obtain a british passport
2) needs a visa if she is my wife
3) does she need citizenship to get a passport although we don't plan to live there

Any better info than the lack luster UK website?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Passport? Visa? or wing it?

Originally Posted by Zeptepi View Post
I'm a UK national, she's a Bulgaria national (married since July 2008- dated and lived for longer) We are both US permenant residents. We plan to travel to the UK and Bulgaria in May to see our respective families.

The british emabassy website is fairly lacking in precise details on what requirements are needed for my wife to either;

1) obtain a british passport
2) needs a visa if she is my wife
3) does she need citizenship to get a passport although we don't plan to live there

Any better info than the lack luster UK website?

Thanks
I am not sure what you are after. If you are just visiting the UK then she should be ok to go on her Bulgarian passport.

If you mean you want to get her citizenship then I believe she would need to live there for a few years to be eligible.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zeptepi View Post
Citizenship has to come before a passport. Before citizenship, she needs to be Resident in the UK. So #1 & #3 are out. Can't help with #2. The UK website doesn't state whether or not a Bulgarian citizen needs a visa to visit?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you be looking at the embassy website? http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ It has it all there.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visiti...s/eligibility/

That should help if she needs a visa to visit the UK.

She isn't eligible for UK citizenship, hence a UK passport just because she's married to a Brit.

And welcome to BE
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:19 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Per: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineed...adatvnationals

Looks like your missus should just be able to enter on her Bulgarian passport.

Now the question is.. do YOU need a visa to enter Bulgaria? :P

Edit: After a bit of digging it seems Bulgaria (not Wellington, Orinocco or Tobermory though) is in the EU - thats you sorted out as well then!

Last edited by Titchski; Feb 4th 2009 at 11:26 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski View Post

Looks like your missus should just be able to enter on her Bulgarian passport.

Now the question is.. do YOU need a visa to enter Bulgaria? :P

Edit: After a bit of digging it seems Bulgaria (not Wellington, Orinocco or Tobermory though) is in the EU - thats you sorted out as well then!
The handy dandy Delta Air tool confirms: No Visa Required
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Zeptepi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Titchski View Post