British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which passport to use ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-use-940516/)

Mercury39 Sep 6th 2021 4:56 pm

Which passport to use ?

Flying USA to UK, dual UK USA citizen. Airline, United, requires passport details alpng with all the new covid test and vaccine information, so providing USA passport details, as required to leave USA on USA passport. What have others used for the UK passenger locator form which requires that enter passport information, I want to use my UK passport, but wondering if it will mess things up now that there are tests and vaccine information requirments. Anyone have recent, covid travel, experience with two passports?

nun Sep 6th 2021 8:49 pm

Re: Which passport to use ?

I always use the passport of the country I'm either leaving or entering. So leave US on US passport and enter the UK on UK passport. This has only ever been questioned once when I left the UK and had to show my US passport as proof that I could enter the US, the UK immigration woman asked why I didn't have a UK entry stamp in it and I just said that I was a dual citizen and she waved me through.

Mercury39 Sep 6th 2021 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 13048648)
I always use the passport of the country I'm either leaving or entering. So leave US on US passport and enter the UK on UK passport. This has only ever been questioned once when I left the UK and had to show my US passport as proof that I could enter the US, the UK immigration woman asked why I didn't have a UK entry stamp in it and I just said that I was a dual citizen and she waved me through.

That has also been my approach in the past, but looking to see if anyone has experience during covid, with all additional tests and documents that are required that may be associated with the passport used for checkin with the airline.

lansbury Sep 6th 2021 9:55 pm

Unless you want to stay for longer than six months, why bother with carrying two passports. If I go for a visit I just take my US one, as that is required to reenter the US.

cluedweasel Sep 7th 2021 10:23 am

We arrived in the UK on Sunday. Used our US passports to exit, UK to arrive. For the Locator form and day 2 tests, we used our UK passports. No problems at all so far. All the documentation was accepted by United at SFO without any issues.

Mercury39 Sep 7th 2021 10:56 am

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 13048817)
We arrived in the UK on Sunday. Used our US passports to exit, UK to arrive. For the Locator form and day 2 tests, we used our UK passports. No problems at all so far. All the documentation was accepted by United at SFO without any issues.

Perfect thanks, just the confirmation I was looking for, will do the same.

robin1234 Sep 7th 2021 11:49 am

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 13048817)

Originally Posted by Mercury39 (Post 13048824)
Perfect thanks, just the confirmation I was looking for, will do the same.

This is useful, thanks. I’m hoping to fly to England sometime in the next month ..

GateKeeper Sep 7th 2021 2:08 pm

I traveled in July and had to do the whole quarantine thing. I used my US passport for both ways because there was so much paperwork with all the tests that I just wanted to keep it consistent. Heathrow was actually very organized and there were relatively no queues. Coming back to Dallas was a whole other story.. even though I was in the US citizens line I still had to wait 90 mins at passport control.