Reload this Page >

which passport to use?

which passport to use?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:48 am
Just Joined

lambousa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which passport to use?

I was wondering.....

I recently acquired US citizenship (and still have my UK citizenship) and have heard a number of accounts of people under similar circumstances to myself, traveling from the US to the UK and using their UK passport at the UK border. Most accounts suggest that this is acceptable, as long as the US passport is used to enter/leave the US.

My question is, if my transatlantic flight arrives in Paris (eg DELTA) before a connecting flight to the UK, which passport should I present at the French port of entry?

Dave
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which passport to use?

Originally Posted by lambousa
I was wondering.....

I recently acquired US citizenship (and still have my UK citizenship) and have heard a number of accounts of people under similar circumstances to myself, traveling from the US to the UK and using their UK passport at the UK border. Most accounts suggest that this is acceptable, as long as the US passport is used to enter/leave the US.

My question is, if my transatlantic flight arrives in Paris (eg DELTA) before a connecting flight to the UK, which passport should I present at the French port of entry?

Dave
UK
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

You won't enter France so no need to present any kind of passport.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
You won't enter France so no need to present any kind of passport.
LOL - true!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

As people said already, you won’t enter France as you are transiting... but if you were you would use your UK passport, which is an EU passport, you’d use it to enter any EU country.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 11:33 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Why carry 2 passports around, with the risk of losing them both? I've been over to France/NL, and then to UK, back to NL, and back to US on my American passport. If you are traveling with USC partner, then you both go through the same queue.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever one you wish to use.

However, since you hold British citizenship and going to the UK, reasonable thoughts would hold that you would use your British passport.

I was wondering.....

Dave
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that as a US citizen you have to enter the US with your US passport.

I thought I read somewhere that they're now (or going to be) taking the passport details you supply at check-in and making sure it matches what you use at the other end...has anyone else heard this??
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes - I got caught up with this about three years ago between Oz and the US via NZ for plane changes.

My eticket was UK-US-(NZ)-OZ-(NZ)-US-UK. The printed boarding pass for the US-Oz-US legs had my UK passport no on them. I showed that pp the whole way through, until standing in front of the Oz immigration desk.

My US visa was in my UK passport, so I had to enter the US on that.

The airline people at Heathrow - United? - weren't going to let me check in because I didnt have a visa for Oz and was listed as travelling on my UK PP. Eventually they saw sense. However, what I probably could have done, and had indeed done in the past (VWP), was to check in on one PP, and then show the other pp at immigration.

I honestly think that this is not the big deal that some people seem to think that it is.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

rbattershill is an unknown quantity at this point

The article from earlier this year was:

Travelling with Dual nationality could penalise britons

There must be a right way to travel to England while holding Citizenship in the US without getting locked out of either country. The question is just how.

Some people seem to suggest booking on one passport checking in with another and showing one or the other at immigration.

Does anyone know the right way?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to take my first trip out of the country as a US citizen (next week, going to visit the UK for 10 days or so). For novelty value and a stamp, and because my wife and daughter just have US passports, I think I'll just enter the UK on my US passport.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rbattershill

There must be a right way to travel to England while holding Citizenship in the US without getting locked out of either country. The question is just how.

Some people seem to suggest booking on one passport checking in with another and showing one or the other at immigration.

You wont get locked out. Travel on your US PP. Show both PP at UK immigration.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:29 am
Just Joined

lambousa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rbattershill

Just read: "Travelling with Dual nationality could penalise britons" its a little disturbing to say the least. Anyone know how long API has been in effect?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just read: "Travelling with Dual nationality could penalise britons" its a little disturbing to say the least. Anyone know how long API has been in effect?
I bet my life that it has no affect on dual passport holders, providing that you show UK immigration the PP on which you booked your ticket. Show the other one as well if you need/want to.

Seriously, this is NOT the huge issue that some people seem to think that it is.