Reload this Page >

Evidence for UKC Applying for US SSN

Evidence for UKC Applying for US SSN

Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

tubbstep will become famous soon enough
Default Evidence for UKC Applying for US SSN

Hi Guys,
So I'm here. In Brooklyn, and love it. My friends have been really welcoming and I've finally found an almost affordable studio. My school is great and the faculty are hilarious.

However, now I need to get paid. Which means I need to apply for a social security number. Because I'm residing in Brooklyn I have to file it face to face at the Brooklyn Social Security office downtown.

However, they say they need 2 pieces of evidence. This is where I am really stumped, as I haven't got my UK birth certificate.

Evidence with me include:
  • UK Valid Passport
  • Valid H-1B Visa Sticker in my passport
  • I-94 form (in passport)
  • Valid UK Driving Photo License (not counterpart)

Can I use my UK Valid Passport and the I-94 form in my passport as two pieces of evidence?

Please help you lovely people!
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evidence for UKC Applying for US SSN

Originally Posted by tubbstep
Hi Guys,
So I'm here. In Brooklyn, and love it. My friends have been really welcoming and I've finally found an almost affordable studio. My school is great and the faculty are hilarious.

However, now I need to get paid. Which means I need to apply for a social security number. Because I'm residing in Brooklyn I have to file it face to face at the Brooklyn Social Security office downtown.

However, they say they need 2 pieces of evidence. This is where I am really stumped, as I haven't got my UK birth certificate.

Evidence with me include:
  • UK Valid Passport
  • Valid H-1B Visa Sticker in my passport
  • I-94 form (in passport)
  • Valid UK Driving Photo License (not counterpart)

Can I use my UK Valid Passport and the I-94 form in my passport as two pieces of evidence?

Please help you lovely people!
I'd hazard a guess yes, as what they need is proof of identity and proof of status in the US, which is what your passport and visa provides.

When I applied, a couple of weeks after arriving on a spousal immigrant visa, I didn't have my actual Green Card yet so all I provided was my passport with endorsed immigrant visa and they were fine with that. Of course it may be different for H-1Bers.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - that's all I had too - oh, and the birth certificate, but they never asked for that.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Yup - that's all I had too - oh, and the birth certificate, but they never asked for that.
You've made my night.
As a teacher... you can have a gold star!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

You've made my night.
As a teacher... you can have a gold star!
Went to the SS Office today.
Passport and Visa was absolutely fine. SSC should be at my address within 2 weeks.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:03 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the SS Office today.
Passport and Visa was absolutely fine. SSC should be at my address within 2 weeks.
The operative word being "should".

Be ready to call them in 2 weeks, and make an appointment at the SS Office a few days after that to check on its progress!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Be ready to call them in 2 weeks, and make an appointment at the SS Office a few days after that to check on its progress!
If you're on "the system" (SAVE I think it's called) then I understand it may sometimes be possible to go back to the SSA a day or two after making the application and get notification of the number "over the counter". In my case I went to the SSA on the first Monday after I'd been in the US for two weeks (IR-1 LPR). "The system" was down that morning so they couldn't verify my status but they let me fill out an SS-5 and took a copy of my passport and endorsed visa. On the Friday I called to ask if they could tell me if I had been assigned a number and if I could come in to be notified of it and the nice lady gave me my number over the phone. She admitted it was against the rules but did so because I'd been polite and waited patiently while she got my details.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Received my Social Security card today. Just over a week. Good work USA!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:37 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Mine arrived within a week.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for mine the day after I arrived on 23 September and still waiting

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Mine arrived within a week.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
I applied for mine the day after I arrived on 23 September and still waiting
They suggest you wait 10 days before applying for it, as your entrance information hasn't been processed before this time, and then they put a 3 week hold on the card, I believe.

it shouldn't be too long now!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks hope so as you need it for everything here as you know!!

They suggest you wait 10 days before applying for it, as your entrance information hasn't been processed before this time, and then they put a 3 week hold on the card, I believe.

it shouldn't be too long now!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Arrived in the US on Sept 23rd. Applied for SSN on Oct 11th. Received my card in the mail today.
Now to take my driving test.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We arrived on the 22nd Sept, hubby had his by the 5th Oct....I think his nagging them may have helped as they wanted to shut him up

That reminds me I need to sort out my ITIN