Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport troubles. Pretty please Help!!

Passport troubles. Pretty please Help!!

Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice
Default Passport troubles. Pretty please Help!!

I can not make heads or tales of the UKinusa website.

I have an expired passport(exp 08) the passport was a under 16 year old passport without my parents names. I am trying to figure out if I can renew my passport(my name has changed) and just send supporting docs that show me using my married name. Or do I have to apply for a whole new adult passport. I sincerely hope not since I don't have access to my mother's birth certificate. She lives in Cyprus and the mail takes forever

Basically I need to know If i can just renew, and not have to send docs like my mothers birth certificate etc (since I am already proven to be English in my previous passport)
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport troubles. Pretty please Help!!

Have a search on the US forums, this question has come up before, so you might find your answer for definite, I think Dean, the Brit Consul, answered it.

But, I think you'd be okay with a renewal as your passport isn't older than 10 years - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174096

Which seems to indicate that is the case.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachiea2610
I can not make heads or tales of the UKinusa website.

I have an expired passport(exp 08) the passport was a under 16 year old passport without my parents names. I am trying to figure out if I can renew my passport(my name has changed) and just send supporting docs that show me using my married name. Or do I have to apply for a whole new adult passport. I sincerely hope not since I don't have access to my mother's birth certificate. She lives in Cyprus and the mail takes forever

Basically I need to know If i can just renew, and not have to send docs like my mothers birth certificate etc (since I am already proven to be English in my previous passport)
If you send the existing pp with the application, it is just a renewal. Name change, if you feel you must, would require a copy the marriage cert if that is the reason for the change. If you are in USA, send it to the embassy in DC
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Thank you both for your help! I broke down this morning and called the UK IPS number over Skype and was informed that yes, the website can be confusing, and yes I can just renew! (no Birth certificate of my Mother's)
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes their website is confusing. I managed to renew mine in May whilst I was over in UK. Did it same day service and you don't need to have the photos counter-signed unless your appearance has changed a lot.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Yes their website is confusing. I managed to renew mine in May whilst I was over in UK. Did it same day service and you don't need to have the photos counter-signed unless your appearance has changed a lot.
I think I have changed quite a lot, but luckily I am good friends with a British Citizen who is a Nurse, so that shouldn't be a problem
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachiea2610
I am good friends with a British Citizen who is a Nurse, so that shouldn't be a problem
Just so you know, the countersignatory doesn't need to be a UKC... as long as they are a USC who is otherwise on the list of approved persons.

Ian