Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport for son (dual citizenship?)

Passport for son (dual citizenship?)

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Britlec1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport for son (dual citizenship?)

My son has recently been born. (24/06/2017) and we have already been sent his uk passport .

My question relates to his u.s passport (if he can have one)

My wife is a usc and has lived here with me for the past 5 years.

She was born in the us and loved there until 5 years ago.

Am I right in thinking that we just need to send off the paperwork to the London embassy and he can have both uk and US citizenship?? Or am I Reading it wrong.

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport for son (dual citizenship?)

Assuming your wife was aged at least 21 when your son was born, yes, your wife can pass US citizenship to her children. ...... The requirements are that (i) she was born in the US, and (ii) she lived there for at least five years, two of those years after her 14th birthday (in other words she would have accrued the requisite 5 years by her 16th birthday, and then 5 years in the UK imply the minimum age of 21 at the time of the birth of your son). There are other criteria permutations, but from what you said, those are the ones that seem to apply to her.

Your son will require a US passport to enter the US, per US law.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 2nd 2017 at 1:31 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britlec1992
Am I right in thinking that we just need to send off the paperwork to the London embassy and he can have both uk and US citizenship?
If your wife was able to pass US citizenship to your son, then he was a US citizen the moment he was born... whether there's any paperwork on it or not. Yes - he can have both UK and US citizenship.

Ian
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 1:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife will need your son to have a US SSN so that she can claim a personal exemption on her annual US income tax returns. Your son is subject to the same US tax & FBAR requirements as any other US citizen. When he is 18 he will be required to register for selective service unless he decides to renounce. For now, the major issue is likely to be annual FBAR reporting for your wife if your son has any money and she has signature authority.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...-requirements/

Congratulations!

Get your son a fs-240 consular report of a birth abroad of a US citizen. Although not absolutely required, it could make your son's life easier decades from now. It's basically a State Department birth certificate and is the equivalent to a state issued birth certificate for US born children.