Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

MissF is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Hello,

A question for people who recently had their passport renenwed..

In the Notes to fill in the Passport renewal it says that you have to get the signature of a:

... British citizen, or other Commonwealth citizen, who has known
you personally for at least two years and who is a Member of Parliament,
Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil
Servant, professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor,
School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of similar standing.

What if you ont know a person like that? Because you e.g. recently move to a new country???
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if it was for a renewal, you didnt need another signiture?. I never did, but of course, I know things change. I had mine renewed in late 2002.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Originally posted by MissF
Hello,

In the Notes to fill in the Passport renewal it says that you have to get the signature of a:

What if you ont know a person like that? Because you e.g. recently move to a new country???

My daughter needed her passport renewing, we've only been in the States for 18 months.
Fortunately we got married here 2 and a half years ago (before moving back to the UK for 9 months) and an accountant (with notary status) was at our wedding so we had known her for long enough. She notarized the passport application and photo and the British Embassy in DC issued her passport, by post in a 5/6 days.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Originally posted by MissF
Hello,

This question was asked quite recently, perhaps in the last couple of months. Please look for the thread in this very forum.

If that doesn't answer your question, please post back and indicate if you're simply renewing or if you're renewing and changing your name (e.g. through marriage).
Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We sent off our passports for renewal last week, and even though we do know Brit citizens here who could have signed, it was more convenient (and quicker) to ask the finance officer of the company to sign- it's okay to ask a citizen of the country you live in to sign as long as they are professionally qualified ..of similar standing, and have known you for two years.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
.... - it's okay to ask a citizen of the country you live in to sign as long as they are professionally qualified ..of similar standing, and have known you for two years.
Yes, that's what I did - I friend of my wife, who had known me for three years at the time, is a US citizen, and is a vet, signed my passport photos when I renewed in early 2003.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

MissF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport renewal - signature from Member of Parliament??

Thank you guys for all your helpfull comments.

We had the CFO of my husbands company sign the pictures. (Not sure if we really need it for a renewal though)

Anyways, i hope it will work

Thank you

Florence
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer I renewed AND changed my name on my UK passport (through the Wash DC embassy) and DID NOT need to have it counter signed.

Ash
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, our new passports arrived today and they sent the signed photos back to us. We got them countersigned just to be on the safe side as their website details aren't too clear about this (and I couldn't be bothered to waste time messing around on the Embassy automated phone system trying to get hold of a real person), but it seems countersigning is not necessary for a renewal anymore.