British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport renewal with first name "aka" question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-renewal-first-name-aka-question-644444/)

Jakkit Dec 12th 2009 3:24 am

Passport renewal with first name "aka" question

I'm trying to renew my UK passport here in the US and don't have the luxury of time. (My mother is fading fast in Scotland with Alzheimers and I need to get there ASAP). Also, I am working on a limited budget and can't afford to have my application rejected thereby losing $224.

The photos are done and just had my old boss sign the back and the countersignature. So far, so good. Except I just realized he put my first name on the back of the photo, a shortened version of my full first name which is on my old passport. (Full name Jacqueline, but have been known as Jakki for the past 15 yrs).

Question: On my application would it be OK to put "Jacqueline aka Jakki" or do I need some kind of official notarized statement saying that "Jakki" is a legitimate name?

I would really have liked to ask the British Consul in Los Angeles to have them help me with this, but don't know if they would see me on an emergency basis just for this.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be mightily appreciated.

Bob Dec 12th 2009 3:29 am

Re: Passport renewal with first name "aka" question

Welcome to BE....but this section if for immigration advice on moving to the US.

You might want to search out the US forums as there are quite a few passport threads already.

ian-mstm Dec 12th 2009 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jakkit (Post 8166425)
Question: On my application would it be OK to put "Jacqueline aka Jakki" or do I need some kind of official notarized statement saying that "Jakki" is a legitimate name?

Since "James" and "Jim" are used interchangeably, and "Chris" is often used in place of "Christina", my gut feeling is that it won't make a difference... so no need to put "Jacqueline aka Jakki" on the application.

However, if you feel so strongly about this, don't muck about with the application form... just get the photos redone? It'll be a lot easier.

Ian

Jerseygirl Dec 12th 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jakkit (Post 8166425)
I'm trying to renew my UK passport here in the US and don't have the luxury of time. (My mother is fading fast in Scotland with Alzheimers and I need to get there ASAP). Also, I am working on a limited budget and can't afford to have my application rejected thereby losing $224.

The photos are done and just had my old boss sign the back and the countersignature. So far, so good. Except I just realized he put my first name on the back of the photo, a shortened version of my full first name which is on my old passport. (Full name Jacqueline, but have been known as Jakki for the past 15 yrs).

I would really have liked to ask the British Consul in Los Angeles to have them help me with this, but don't know if they would see me on an emergency basis just for this.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be mightily appreciated.

Welcome to BE.

I'm sorry I've only just seen your thread. Dean (British Consul) posted info about emergency passports a while ago. Below is a link to his profile...take a look through his old posts or once you've made 3 posts you could PM him.

Good luck...I hope you manage to get home quickly.

Edit: Here's Dean's post re emergency PPs. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=64