Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Renewal Conundrum WWYD?

Passport Renewal Conundrum WWYD?

Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Renewal Conundrum WWYD?

So, OH's UK passport is expiring in October. Wouldn't be a big deal, except that he is currently applying for a couple of employment opportunities in the UK. We'd hate to send off his passport for renewal, and then he would need it to fly over for an interview. We could go ahead and send it off for renewal and he could feasibly use his US passport to travel. But then would they allow him entry on a US pp, if he tells him he's there for an interview - and he wouldn't have his UK pp for proof of citizenship? But we don't want to wait until it's expired to send it off since we have no idea of current processing times. Any advice?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Passport Renewal Conundrum WWYD?

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
So, OH's UK passport is expiring in October. Wouldn't be a big deal, except that he is currently applying for a couple of employment opportunities in the UK. We'd hate to send off his passport for renewal, and then he would need it to fly over for an interview. We could go ahead and send it off for renewal and he could feasibly use his US passport to travel. But then would they allow him entry on a US pp, if he tells him he's there for an interview - and he wouldn't have his UK pp for proof of citizenship? But we don't want to wait until it's expired to send it off since we have no idea of current processing times. Any advice?
I renewed my passport in person last Summer whilst I was passing through England. You can book it by phone - double check this, but I think it was 14 days before the day you wanted to book it with London being the most popular! They open for booking slots at 8am so I woke up at 3am ET to book it, but as it was the height of Summer I chose to go to Peterborough in east-central England as the London slots had already gone! The charge is higher than a UK resident going through the usual mail-in procedure, but it didn't cost any more than a US resident would have to pay. You need to give a UK postcode when you book and the call centre is in Northern Ireland. I used my mum's postcode.

Perhaps he could book a flight to the UK and try to arrange interviews there at the same time as getting a one-day passport arranged?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/travelan...ions/dg_174149 (I picked up a passport application form at a Post Office and had my passport photos taken at a photo booth in London - the photo booths there have the instructions on the size etc. or a photography shop eg. Snappy Snaps - which is a chain - can take them too.

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 8th 2012 at 6:03 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewal Conundrum WWYD?

I can't see why there would be a problem using his US PP. Does he have a UK birth certificate? That would be proof of citizenship. I would also take photocopies of his UK PP...he could then show that to UK Immigration.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

He was born abroad in South Africa. He has a Consular Birth Abroad certificate. I assumed he would need to send the b/c off with the passport app, but I admit I haven't looked through all the renewal instructions just yet. I'm more concerned that we haven't been in one place long enough to establish a 2yr relationship for a professional to sign the back of his photo - edit: unless his boss would count. his boss is a computer programmar with a title of IT Manager.

I thought about the whole photocopy thing, but wasn't sure if that would be acceptable for the IO's. I guess that's the best route. I'm not sure he'd feel entirely comfy hoping to land a same day appt while on such a short trip (just for an interview) back.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 8th 2012 at 7:00 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

He was born abroad in South Africa. He has a Consular Birth Abroad certificate. I assumed he would need to send the b/c off with the passport app, but I admit I haven't looked through all the renewal instructions just yet. I'm more concerned that we haven't been in one place long enough to establish a 2yr relationship for a professional to sign the back of his photo.

I thought about the whole photocopy thing, but wasn't sure if that would be acceptable for the IO's. I guess that's the best route. I'm not sure he'd feel entirely comfy hoping to land a same day appt while on such a short trip (just for an interview) back.
If it's a renewal his birth certificate is not required as they already have all the relevant info on file.

If he's a UK citizen he cannot be refused entry to the UK. At worst he may be detained while they verify his citizenship...but if he has a copy of his UK PP they can run the PP # in their computer system.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 8th 2012 at 6:57 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

US passport is fine for that, as he wouldn't be working on it. He could always being a copy of his birth cert with him if he wants.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Renew the UK passport and use the US passport to travel.

Long range interviews can be done via Skype. He could also create a video resume to supplement his traditional resume.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/videor...ideoresume.htm
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

He was born abroad in South Africa. He has a Consular Birth Abroad certificate. I assumed he would need to send the b/c off with the passport app, but I admit I haven't looked through all the renewal instructions just yet. I'm more concerned that we haven't been in one place long enough to establish a 2yr relationship for a professional to sign the back of his photo - edit: unless his boss would count. his boss is a computer programmar with a title of IT Manager.
For a normal UK passport renewal where the applicant's appearance hasn't changed so much that it is no longer obvious that the new photographs are of the same person the only things that you need to send are the completed renewal form, the old passport, the new photographs and the payment authorization. No other documentation and no additional signatures are required.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

He can travel to UK on his US passport under VWP. He can do interviews that way. He does not need to prove UK citizenship.

You could send off the UK pp for renewal now, and it might come back in time anyway, or he could take it with him, to renew there (cheaper).
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the British passport and use that to travel on for job interviews in the UK. Any potential employer will want to see proof of your right to live and work in the UK and a British passport will be far more easily accepted than a consular birth certificate. October will be a quiet time for renewals, you'll get your new one within two weeks or less.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Any potential employer will want to see proof of your right to live and work in the UK and a British passport will be far more easily accepted than a consular birth certificate.
Surely they wouldn't ask to see that at a job interview ...
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Maybe, depends on the job. I used to work in HR for London hotels. If a (walk-in) applicant for waiter, did not have a work permit - no interview.

If the op has interviews lined up from abroad, there is a possibility of sponsorship by the employer...
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I've more often than not been asked to bring my passport along with me to interviews. If you don't have it, then no interview. I would suggest if the job applicant is flying in from the US for the interview, then they are almost certainly going to want to see his right to work and reside in the UK.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I've more often than not been asked to bring my passport along with me to interviews. If you don't have it, then no interview. I would suggest if the job applicant is flying in from the US for the interview, then they are almost certainly going to want to see his right to work and reside in the UK.
I can understand them wanting to see that before the person started work but not at an interview before an offer had even been made.

In any case I think that the OP's husband has lived and worked in the UK before and so presumably already has a National Insurance Number etc.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can understand them wanting to see that before the person started work but not at an interview before an offer had even been made.

In any case I think that the OP's husband has lived and worked in the UK before and so presumably already has a National Insurance Number etc.
Oh yes. We lived there for a while last year, and before that he lived/worked in the UK from 1998ish to 2004, so he has a NIN already. To the other poster, he doesn't need sponsorship since he's a UKC. His CV reflects his UK work experience, so they should also be able to infer from that he has the right to work there.

That is a good point about the possibility of them asking for a passport at an in-person interview. That would never have occurred to since it can't be asked for at an interview here in the US (only once an offer has been made & accepted). I wonder if that's more a custom down in London to ask for a PP at a first interview, and that Edinburgh companies may not use that approach?

He has a Skype interview with the recruiter on Monday, and if that goes well, hopefully it will be a Skype interview with the company. I will tell him that he should ask the recruiter if he would be expected to present the UK passport at an in-person interview, and if they would accept a consular b/c & a photocopy of the PP in lieu of the actual. This company also has offices in NYC, so we are hoping they would let him do an in-person at their NYC offices. That would make things easier.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 11th 2012 at 4:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.