Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal - 3 months later...update

Passport renewal - 3 months later...update

Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

flnycus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport renewal - 3 months later...update

ok so i did the usual forms sent the docs (to DC) for the renewal of a red British passport. Got asked for a ton of additional info, such as a
1.statement of everything i've done since 2001, where worked/lived etc.
2.medical records,
3.birth certificate i sent a certified copy - not good enough they want the original which i don't have as i was a baby then and im not sure where my parents have it - its been 35 years?!?)
4. utility bills from the last 10 years - to prove its me.
5. school certificates- gcse, a levels, university degree (all originals)
6. cv of everything ive done since i was walking.

Now forgive me if i am wrong but am i the only one who finds this extremely weird for a passport renewal??

I spoke with a line manager and he said my name has been flagged ..what a surprise i have a muslim surname...

Need a beer i am off - o can i complain? or should i suck it up and just go down the pub and send them everything?

Feel like a damn criminal, sorry for venting!

Last edited by flnycus; Jun 7th 2010 at 8:01 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:05 pm
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport renewal - 3 months later...update

Originally Posted by flnycus
ok so i did the usual forms sent the docs (to DC) for the renewal of a red British passport. Got asked for a ton of additional info, such as a
1.statement of everything i've done since 2001, where worked/lived etc.
2.medical records,
3.birth certificate i sent a certified copy - not good enough they want the original which i don't have as i was a baby then and im not sure where my parents have it - its been 35 years?!?)
4. utility bills from the last 10 years - to prove its me.
5. school certificates- gcse, a levels, university degree (all originals)
6. cv of everything ive done since i was walking.

Now forgive me if i am wrong but am i the only one who finds this extremely weird for a passport renewal??

It's weird in that you didn't choose the far less onerous option of renewal by sending in your expired passport.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in the UK it should be easy to get a copy of your birth certificate. Note that the "copy" that you get from the registrar of births is an "original" birth certificate - ie a certified extract from their records - nobody has a truly "original" birth certificate - they aren't going to tear a page out of the register and give it to you ...

I assume that what you sent in was a copy of that document.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

I did send my red passport along with my other docs and form. I sent the passport in 5 weeks before it was due to expire. Of course now it's expired: The lady was Spanish who called me and said it's not an original birTh certificate - I got it from the department of births and deaths and had them fedex it to me from the UK. I sent them the original certified stamped copy that I got from the UK . I'm not totally stupid that I didn't send in my original docs. This sounds so weird is someone stealing all my info? But what else can I do other than send them my whole life story? I should have just travelled to the UK and done it there.

Last edited by flnycus; Jun 7th 2010 at 11:36 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You've already asked the same question:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668010

There is absolutely no reason to be asked to produce proof of citizenship for a renewal, and they ought to understand that the special issue with US birth certificates requiring them to look at the original does not apply to British birth certificates.

You can PM Dean in Orlando "British Consul" through the site and/or call the Foreign Office Nationality and Passport Division in London on +44 20 7008 1500 and ask to make a formal complaint for unreasonable denial of passport facility.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ, i will call London tomorrow and see if they can help.

The thing that scares me is the spanish lady dealing with my case;

1. Cant understand/speak english very well and
2. Keeps calling me by my middle name thinking it is my first name, she also emailed me a few times addressing me by my surname which she spelt incorrectly. I have a very common english first name so i am at a loss as to what is so difficult here.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Hey JAJ, spoke with an English person woohoo in London. They advised that i should call washington and speak to a manger - which i did. she suggested that it is possible there has been some kind of fraud and i need to verify myself - thats the only reason i have to submit my life story. I sent them originals of everything i have. If they still deny it i will drive to washington myself. Not sure how i would prove i am me unless someone has some dna from me when i was a baby that they can match with a blood sample now lol....
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Hey JAJ, spoke with an English person woohoo in London. They advised that i should call washington and speak to a manger - which i did. she suggested that it is possible there has been some kind of fraud and i need to verify myself - thats the only reason i have to submit my life story. I sent them originals of everything i have. If they still deny it i will drive to washington myself. Not sure how i would prove i am me unless someone has some dna from me when i was a baby that they can match with a blood sample now lol....
This sounds so bizzare and kafka-ish