Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport question for citizen by descent

Passport question for citizen by descent

Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

eris123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport question for citizen by descent

I sent off my application last week but I'm a little worried it won't go through. I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue so I'll ask for some feedback.

I was unable to get my father's british passport number or my parent's "original" or long form marriage certificate. I sent in a 1980s copy explaining this as in the US you can't obtain copies of a marriage certificate if you aren't a party to the marriage (i.e. the husband or wife or both parents are deceased).

I did send in my long form US birth certificate, my British consular birth certificate from the year I was born (1987) clearly stating that I qualified for citizenship, my father's british birth certificate, etc.

I called and asked the passport helpline about it and they were pretty much clueless, not to mention I could barely understand the accent of the guy on the phone (and I'm not being a snob - my family has very very thick Yorkshire accents).

Has anyone else gotten by with just their consular birth registration instead of a marriage certificate?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question for citizen by descent

Your consular birth certificate should be sufficient proof of British citizenship without needing to provide parents documents. However, they can refuse passports on a whim and if this happens then you have to look at other options, such as applying for a Right of Abode stamp which cannot be so easily refused.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:39 am
Just Joined

eris123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport question for citizen by descent

Thanks! I hope it works and I don't have to go another route. I'll look into the right of abode thing if need be.