Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport question

Passport question

Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport question

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Here we go again. Many Walgreens, including those around me, are able to produce passport photos for just about any country in the world. From previous threads it is evident that some Walgreens do not have this capability, although some of it is due to operator ignorance. Therefore advice to avoid Walgreens is mistaken.
I disagree with your conclusion.

From personal experience I can confirm that, in practice, many Walgreens *cannot* produce UK sized passport photographs for exactly the reason that you mentioned - operator ignorance. That being the case, the advice to avoid Wallgreens is still good.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Last year both my son and I needed to renew our UK passports, myself from England and he from Texas. I had to send in my original US passport and he had to send in a color copy of his US passport. (Both returned promptly)

I expect all Walgreens machines are the same and it is operator experience that counts. In towns with lots of expats the operators are much more likely to know what to do. In the 12 years we lived in a town with lots of corporate headquarters and ex pats from many countries we used Walgreens several times, including last year when my son got his passport renewed.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
.... I expect all Walgreens machines are the same and it is operator experience that counts. In towns with lots of expats the operators are much more likely to know what to do. ....
You might think so, but that is not the case ..... Lansbury knows for a fact that there is a machine in at least one Walgreen's that can't print UK passport photos because there had been a photo printer that could produce UK passport photos, and they took it out and replaced it with one that couldn't. He knew it had been possible, and the operator knew it had been possible, but the new machine didn't have the capability.

I also visited two Walgreen's and, because I was so sure, thanks to posts on BE, that there was a British passport photo option, I stood with the operator in each store, and went through every row of every pull-down menu, and all to no avail.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 11th 2017 at 9:45 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You might think so, but that is not the case ..... Lansbury knows for a fact that there is a machine in at least one Walgreen's that can't print UK passport photos because there had been a photo printer that could product UK passport photos, and they tool it out and replace it with one that couldn't. He knew it had been possible, and the operator knew it had been possible, but the new machine didn't have the capability.

I also visited two Walgreen's and, because I was so sure, thanks to posts on BE, that there was a British passport photo option, I stood with the operator in each store, and went through every row of every pull-down menu, and all to no avail.
I stand corrected.

I just messaged my daughter in Santa Monica and she also used Walgreens for her last UK passport photo, but she said that the operator didn’t use the machine and instead used a hand held camera. I guess that the Walgreens machine option is indeed very much on the way out.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had to take photos of my newborn for her passports and used the app “My Photo Lite” which allows you to select the intended country and take as many attempts as you want. Once you’re happy it saves a 6x4” image which you can just print at cvs etc. it’s cheap and allows you to take as many attempts as you want.

The girl at the passport office actually commented on how well we had done getting such a good pic.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM
I recently had to take photos of my newborn for her passports and used the app “My Photo Lite” which allows you to select the intended country and take as many attempts as you want. Once you’re happy it saves a 6x4” image which you can just print at cvs etc. it’s cheap and allows you to take as many attempts as you want.

The girl at the passport office actually commented on how well we had done getting such a good pic.
That's great advice, I am assuming you are using iphone as I could not find the app. The app I found on android was "Passport ID Photo Maker Studio: Photo Size Editor"
Old Oct 12th 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

branmin is an unknown quantity at this point

To conclude this, found Walgreen assistant very helpful. She had a camera and the software did allow for UK sizes. However, as I originally mentioned, what she didn't have for whatever reason was a cutter for UK sizing...Regardless, I tried as a poster stated here to use a box cutter and nearly messed it up but scissors did the job. They charged just under $32.00 for two photos which I thought was high, particularly as I am a AAA member and later found out it's free...............so then went to UPS, who wanted anything between $85-$135.00 for basically a large envelope and depending on when I wanted it to get there. So ended up at the post office and it came to $80.00 for guaranteed Fed Express Global for 2 day delivery!!!!!
What a business..should I be so lucky to live another 10 years................+-))))))))
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I stand corrected.

I just messaged my daughter in Santa Monica and she also used Walgreens for her last UK passport photo, but she said that the operator didn’t use the machine and instead used a hand held camera. I guess that the Walgreens machine option is indeed very much on the way out.
I'm not sure what "didn't use the machine" means. A hand held camera doesn't normally print photos - so the photos must have been printed using something else. My wife had UK size passport photos done at our local Walgreens. The operator used a camera to take the photo in one part of the store and then transferred the image into a machine in another part of the store to print the photos - using a template that the machine had for UK size photos.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 14th 2017 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm not sure what "didn't use the machine" means. A hand held camera doesn't normally print photos - so the photos must have been printed using something else. My wife had UK size passport photos done at our local Walgreens. The operator used a camera to take the photo in one part of the store and then transferred the image into a machine in another part of the store to print the photos - using a template that the machine had for UK size photos.
Yes, that is exactly what happened.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We had UK passport photos done in Walgreens a month ago - no bother.

We didn't send any color photocopies of DD's US passport - no problem there either.

UK passport arrived a couple of days ago.