British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport photos for passport renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-photos-passport-renewal-747097/)

chrisroach Feb 2nd 2012 2:48 am

Passport photos for passport renewal

I am about to renew my British passport from the states (it expires in Sept but i'd rather get it done now so that I dont have to worry about being passport-less when I need to make a trip).

I have had huge difficulty in getting passport photos however (the 45x35mm ones us Brits use). I have tried CVS, Wallgreens and our local passport store. None of them could help. I ended up getting them done at the US passport office (they are US sized but there is quite a bit of white around me). I just wanted to know from others who have sent their applications to Washington... did you send the 2x2 inch photos? did they accept them (I heard they can be trimmed in Washington). Or were they sent back? The last thing I want is to delay the process but Im delaying it by not sending my application in!

(I have tried making 'homemade' photos but my printer is poor quality and I had little success in sizing the photo from my camara to be printed...came out Wayyy too big).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

lisa67 Feb 2nd 2012 3:51 am

Re: Passport photos for passport renewal

Take a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...port+walgreens

Many of us have had them done at walgreens. Just make sure they put in the computer that they need to fit the spec for British passport. No need to cut them.

chrisroach Feb 2nd 2012 10:08 pm

I went to wall greens and quoted exactly what I read on that blog. The woman said that this WAS the case, but they just got a new machine installed and the UK sizing was no longer an option.

Thinking about sending in my 2" x 2" and hoping for the best. Has anyone here done this and had success?

Bob Feb 2nd 2012 10:26 pm

Walgreens/RiteAid/CVS/AAA they should all do a UK photo, just a case of asking for someone who knows what they are doing.

Just as easy to do it yourself and use epassportphoto.com and get it printed in Target.

In the past when the passports were processed in Washington, they would accept US sized pics and trim them down. Now that they are sent to the UK to be processed, I don't know if they would accept none UK sized pics and no one has confirmed either way since the change over.

MarylandNed Feb 2nd 2012 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9881148)
Walgreens/RiteAid/CVS/AAA they should all do a UK photo, just a case of asking for someone who knows what they are doing.

Just as easy to do it yourself and use epassportphoto.com and get it printed in Target.

In the past when the passports were processed in Washington, they would accept US sized pics and trim them down. Now that they are sent to the UK to be processed, I don't know if they would accept none UK sized pics and no one has confirmed either way since the change over.

Right but, just to clarify for the OP, we currently still send passport applications to Washington. Initial processing is still done in Washington (applications and photos checked, supporting docs returned to applicants, passport request sent to London). The passport is printed in London and shipped directly to the applicant from London. So I guess it's possible that Washington still accepts US photos and trims them down to UK size before they are sent to London - but, as you said, I haven't seen any confirmation of that.

Eventually Washington and the other 6 global processing centers will stop accepting passport applications completely - at which point all applicants will have to send passport applications directly to London. Not exactly sure yet when that is going to happen.

MarylandNed Feb 2nd 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9879396)
I am about to renew my British passport from the states (it expires in Sept but i'd rather get it done now so that I dont have to worry about being passport-less when I need to make a trip).

I have had huge difficulty in getting passport photos however (the 45x35mm ones us Brits use). I have tried CVS, Wallgreens and our local passport store. None of them could help. I ended up getting them done at the US passport office (they are US sized but there is quite a bit of white around me). I just wanted to know from others who have sent their applications to Washington... did you send the 2x2 inch photos? did they accept them (I heard they can be trimmed in Washington). Or were they sent back? The last thing I want is to delay the process but Im delaying it by not sending my application in!

(I have tried making 'homemade' photos but my printer is poor quality and I had little success in sizing the photo from my camara to be printed...came out Wayyy too big).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Any good photographer can produce the correct photos if you bring the specs along. It costs a bit more though. There's a photographer near me who produces any country's passport photo for $25 (2 photos for that price). He guarantees that the photos will be accepted or he'll refund or redo - although he's yet to have any rejected apparently. I've used him a couple of times for Canadian passport photos as Canada is notoriously picky about their photos.

Brigette Feb 3rd 2012 1:14 am

I just renewed my passport. Go to Walgreens tell them the photos are for the UK, they will adjust the machine. They will not however cut the photos for you. That is ok send them to DC as is. The photos will be cut in the UK. I sent my pictures in uncut. I think it cost $10.00. I made a thread about it, so you can do a search to see the exact amount.

chrisroach Feb 3rd 2012 1:29 am

I went to Wallgreens and asked them, they said their old machine could do UK but their new one is just US. She was the head of the 'photo department' so i trusted what she was saying was true.

Maybe I should try another wallgreens?

lisa67 Feb 3rd 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9881331)
I went to Wallgreens and asked them, they said their old machine could do UK but their new one is just US. She was the head of the 'photo department' so i trusted what she was saying was true.

I'd try another one.

Brigette Feb 4th 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9881331)

Yes, try another one

chrisroach Feb 4th 2012 2:23 pm

After much calling around and telling wallgreen's staff that they ARE ABLE to print UK sized photos. I managed to get some! (The woman argued that she had worked there for 7 years and knew that they only did the US sized photos....)

One last question (well 2). If this is a passport renewal with my current passport enclosed. Do i need to get my photos countersigned? (my appearence hasn't changed considerably) and also, do i need to fill out section 2? It asks me to provide my parents details if I was born after 1982 (which i was)..

Thnaks for your help.

Brigette Feb 4th 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9883538)
After much calling around and telling wallgreen's staff that they ARE ABLE to print UK sized photos. I managed to get some! (The woman argued that she had worked there for 7 years and knew that they only did the US sized photos....)

One last question (well 2). If this is a passport renewal with my current passport enclosed. Do i need to get my photos countersigned? (my appearence hasn't changed considerably) and also, do i need to fill out section 2? It asks me to provide my parents details if I was born after 1982 (which i was)..

Thnaks for your help.

Regarding section two, if you were born after 1982, then yes as the form states, you have to fill it out. I had my photo countersigned (keep in mind you only need one photo countersigned, you mentioned photos so I wasn't sure if you knew) just because I did not want it sent back to me. Yes there was a slight change, but anyone could probably tell that the two photos were of the same person. Rather than risk it being sent back, I went ahead and got it countersigned.

chrisroach Feb 4th 2012 2:54 pm

Oh ok, I'll have to find out my mums passport number then..

Can anyone countersign my passport (e.g. my wife.) I dont have access to any British nationals over here who could do that.

And just before I send off my application. I only need to send my old passport, the compleated form, credit card info and photos.. correct?

I have read things about birth certificates? I presume since this is a simple renewal I dont need to send this.

Thanks

Bob Feb 5th 2012 2:31 am

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9883563)
Can anyone countersign my passport (e.g. my wife.) I dont have access to any British nationals over here who could do that.

Not family, but anyone of "good standing" can sign it, a doctor, cop, teacher, banker. They don't need to be a Brit, but they need to confirm your identity.

Brigette Feb 5th 2012 3:44 am

Originally Posted by chrisroach (Post 9883563)
Oh ok, I'll have to find out my mums passport number then..

And just before I send off my application. I only need to send my old passport, the compleated form, credit card info and photos.. correct?

I have read things about birth certificates? I presume since this is a simple renewal I dont need to send this.

Thanks

I printed the Notes for FORM C1 and used that as a guide to what documents I needed. Not sure what form you are using but here is the link: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...steps-to-renew

Has all the info you need. Take a look at the Notes Form. It is a guide to what you will need to fill out your form. I used an accountant for my countersignature. I also sent in my birth certificate. Don't forget to print the form for the credit card info